• May 9th, 2019 11:36 am
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
25 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, Canada

Surrey tower fails to meet building code

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5125884

Does anyone has any educated guess on which building the story is referring?
Structural design is finish in March 2013 so the building is probably completed in 2015/2016.
It's a high rise condo so the location is probably in Surrey Central or White Rock area.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34936 posts
4250 upvotes
Winnipeg
As a fellow engineer i find this rather comical. I think the public are not aware of the fact that any given building design is based on a dozen of codes or more, and they all updates on different time frames. So the short version is that any major building will not meet the current code once it is finished construction, as it typically takes few years to build it, which by that time a new version of code will come out. The industry standard is that the design has to meet the code at the time of submitting to the city for approval. In this case it didn't meet the code because he didn't follow the 2010 version and instead used the 2006 version. It will be easy to point out which part of the design didn't meet the 2010 version but it would be hard to point out which part of the design is unsafe, as you would be saying that every single building in BC that was designed to the 2006 code would be unsafe. It would be hilarious if BC decides to demolish 99.9999999% of all buildings in BC due to this ruling.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
25 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, Canada
It's serious. I wouldn't want to be the owner of one of these condos. People in the know would be trying to get rid of their unit hand over fist.