262 upvotes
Vancouver
If i were there, I will just eat and walk away. screw them haha
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
422 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Supra7 wrote: I too also bought this voucher with friends, and we went on the 29th of December, and we were also presented with the 'Special Menu'. We tried to make the best of it, but clearly we were scammed. I requested a refund, but this definitely leaves a sour taste and safe to say, we will not be returning to Sushi Extra anytime soon.

Terrible!

This thread makes me so wary of anything with RFD DotD in the future.

RFD, I like you and all - but you have got to be more firm with your clients that pull this kind of scam.
Dec 9, 2010
1 posts
i just called Sushi Xtra and the lady flat out told me, if you have red flag deal voucher, we have special menu...
don't trust this place... it's been a few weeks since the post was made by the manager of RFD and clearly Sushi Xtra has no plans to fix this situation... get your $$ back while you can!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4612 posts
2248 upvotes
Toronto
i got refund from RFD. took a while to process, but i did get it back.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4312 posts
662 upvotes
I honestly don't know why you guys upset so much, you get what you pay for.
Most of those deal of the day kind of deals are the same, doesn't matter what the business is.
Ill explain why, the fee that every deal of the day kind of business gets is 50% from whatever they sell, and they are forced to give 50% off.
So in reality the worst kind of deal, the business itself suppose to give you the regular business and gets paid only 25% of what they usually charge.
When the business is competitve and the margins for profit are slim, how can a business give service/product for 25% of the price? They can't.
So their options are: To give service at a huge loss, hoping that people will come back wanting for more but at the regular price while at the same time you have to keep in mind that they have to service people which they are losing money on for months, not many business can sustain giving service for loss, a typical business have running costs at tens of thousands per month.
The other option is to round the losses somehow, if it's making your voucher be worth less like this case or by giving you a service which is not equal, like doing a really hasty/bad job to save on man hours.

Also, you need to understand that the Canadian market is difficult, many people will look at those deals as something you can change from one day to the next, to live only on those deals means forcing the businesses to lose money and then forcing them to close or to scam people.

Anyway, do your research before doing those deals, i'm sure in at least 90% of the times, if you do those deals, you will end up paying the deal and also the regular, ending up paying double.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
flafson wrote: I honestly don't know why you guys upset so much, you get what you pay for.
Most of those deal of the day kind of deals are the same, doesn't matter what the business is.
Ill explain why, the fee that every deal of the day kind of business gets is 50% from whatever they sell, and they are forced to give 50% off.
So in reality the worst kind of deal, the business itself suppose to give you the regular business and gets paid only 25% of what they usually charge.
When the business is competitve and the margins for profit are slim, how can a business give service/product for 25% of the price? They can't.
So their options are: To give service at a huge loss, hoping that people will come back wanting for more but at the regular price while at the same time you have to keep in mind that they have to service people which they are losing money on for months, not many business can sustain giving service for loss, a typical business have running costs at tens of thousands per month.
The other option is to round the losses somehow, if it's making your voucher be worth less like this case or by giving you a service which is not equal, like doing a really hasty/bad job to save on man hours.

Also, you need to understand that the Canadian market is difficult, many people will look at those deals as something you can change from one day to the next, to live only on those deals means forcing the businesses to lose money and then forcing them to close or to scam people.

Anyway, do your research before doing those deals, i'm sure in at least 90% of the times, if you do those deals, you will end up paying the deal and also the regular, ending up paying double.

The fact that the business is losing money on the deal is irrelevant. They knew the cost of providing their service before they decided to try to entice customers to their business using this promotion. If I go to a restaurant and have a coupon and I like the service, the food and have a good time I am way more likely to go back multiple times and to recommend it to friends than if I feel ripped off. There are lots of sushi places in most cities and if I get bad service or food from one I will not go back to it whether they are cheaper or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2161 posts
399 upvotes
flafson wrote: I honestly don't know why you guys upset so much, you get what you pay for.

They offer discounts in hope that they will create a returning customer so don't act like they don't get a benefit from doing so. No one forced them to participate in a group buy but if they do, they sure as hell better offer food at the best of their ability. There is nothing worse than feeling like a second rate customer.

Plus, offering expensive/crappy food to customers that are probably using a coupon as a trial run is totally counterintuitive. You don't create return customers from bad service/food. Seems like a lot of these restaurants don't understand the nature of how group buys are to work for a business.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
At every restaurant I have been to, they have never asked for the voucher ahead of time. I just provide the voucher before paying. I have always gotten the same quality food and service!! I actually talked to the owner about his wagjag deal and if it was worth it (considering the business was doing well already) and he mentioned that he has seen a lot of NEW people come in, and a lot of those customers returned. I went there this past Saturday as well and there was a line-up for a table!! FYI it was for a well known indian restaurant.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2546 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the heads up, i'm never going to this restaurant