• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 5:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 1, 2011
4 posts
Vancouver

Suspect Microsoft 365 offer???

Last night Windows 10 updated and I got the "Microsoft is getting your PC ready" screen.

You know the one, it looks like the operating system has just installed from scratch and i scares me every time.

However, this time, still inside the installer was an offer for Microsoft 365 Home for half price (believe it was $54.95 Canadian)
It all looked legit and I even clicked on the "terms" and saw the typical pages and pages of fine print.
So I said "ok sounds like a deal" and hunted up a credit card that I would not mind cancelling if need be.
There was some problem and it said to go to microsoft.com/microsoft-365 for the offer.
There does not seem to be such offer on the site and phoning Microsoft they "played dumb" about what I had seen.

Anyone else see this?
Or was this a well crafted phish?

T
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6667 posts
2998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Been getting it every now and then, even with cumulative 20H2 updates. Just ignore it as I don't need t.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Feb 1, 2011
4 posts
Vancouver
Ok, so it seems legit.

But how can I take advantage of the offer? (It seems to have popped up before the network was initallized)

T
Feb 9, 2008
276 posts
216 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
FYI, if you are/were a student and still have access to your school email address, you might have access to Office 365 for free.
At least with mine, alumni still have access.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1064 posts
342 upvotes
zerod wrote: FYI, if you are/were a student and still have access to your school email address, you might have access to Office 365 for free.
At least with mine, alumni still have access.
Where do you get the free option. I am only able to get 12 months for $12
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
20169 posts
23634 upvotes
Just get Office 2019 Professional Plus lifetime license off eBay for $3.

If you're a end-consumer, there's little risk and the licenses rarely rarely fail after activation. They either work from the get-go, or don't work. Phone activation will be required, there are website that let you input the relevant input numbers for output numbers.

5 to 10 minutes from receiving the license key to full activation.

Stay blessed, folks.

P.S. If you own a business (i.e. you're licensing for business purposes) it's best to man-up and get your license through classical channels.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4600 posts
1240 upvotes
Adding that Office 2022 standalone will be out around September/October 2021.

Or if you don't want to go to the eBay or Reddit route for a grey market license, Office 2019 may go on sale ($130 instead of $180) during Black Friday as MS did so during 2020.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13276 posts
2495 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Don't pay to pirate is all I'm going to say.
A licence with terms that don't apply to you is still pirating.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6667 posts
2998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Shut down my computer when I went to do some thing a little while ago. Since it's a Tuesday, there must have been some update (20H2 update last week, no update history this week) though I didn't see an update on the shut down. When I started up, there was the finish setting up your computer window with the Office offer at the 50% off price (~$55).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2772 posts
1696 upvotes
SW ON
thriftshopper wrote: I didn't see an update on the shut down. When I started up, there was the finish setting up your computer window
They do it randomly on reboots. I guess they want people to apply default settings if they were modified.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6667 posts
2998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
alpovs wrote: They do it randomly on reboots. I guess they want people to apply default settings if they were modified.

Didn't know. Might help to delete the Office and Your Phone apps in that case.