• Jul 10th, 2009 12:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
418 posts
27 upvotes

Suspending City Fido?

I intend to leave the country for an extended absence, defined as minimum of 6 weeks, maximum of indefinite. I am currently paying $75.09 per month for City Fido, I don't have a contract and they're sticking me with SAF plus the $9 I pay for VM & CID.

Considering that it's possible that I may be away for a period of several weeks or even months, I don't intend to keep paying Fido for nothing. A couple of years ago, I did ask them to suspend or freeze for a period of weeks, they refused. I suppose they would rather lose a City Fido customer than freeze the billing. I'm guessing a retention offer isn't an option with the City plan, a cash cow which Fido supposedly wants to kill.

My question: if I ask Fido to suspend my account for 6 weeks and they don't cooperate, should I cancel the service? What are your recommendations? FYI, my usage is variable but 1000+ daytime/peak minutes are not an uncommon occurrence. Thanks RFD.
6 replies
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Ferris Bueller wrote: I intend to leave the country for an extended absence, defined as minimum of 6 weeks, maximum of indefinite. I am currently paying $75.09 per month for City Fido, I don't have a contract and they're sticking me with SAF plus the $9 I pay for VM & CID.

Considering that it's possible that I may be away for a period of several weeks or even months, I don't intend to keep paying Fido for nothing. A couple of years ago, I did ask them to suspend or freeze for a period of weeks, they refused. I suppose they would rather lose a City Fido customer than freeze the billing. I'm guessing a retention offer isn't an option with the City plan, a cash cow which Fido supposedly wants to kill.

My question: if I ask Fido to suspend my account for 6 weeks and they don't cooperate, should I cancel the service? What are your recommendations? FYI, my usage is variable but 1000+ daytime/peak minutes are not an uncommon occurrence. Thanks RFD.
Just call and ask for a suspension of 6 months, if you get back after 2 then call and have it reactivated. If they say no then you have it, threaten to cancel. If they call your bluff then cancel. When you get back you can shop around for a new deal.
May 19, 2009
11 posts
Toronto
By the time you come back there should be new entrants in the wireless industry; From all the rumours and reports, they will offered unlimited talk plans also.

So, you might be better off putting your phone on a really cheap plan or suspend it with whatver plan they allow you to suspend with and deal with it when you come back.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3159 posts
226 upvotes
Newmarket
Why would you cancel it??? You would be out money.

If they don't go for it than sell your plan. That way you're not at a total loss.
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Shiznacka wrote: Why would you cancel it??? You would be out money.

If they don't go for it than sell your plan. That way you're not at a total loss.
You can not transfer CityFido or CountryFido. Been like that for few years.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2647 posts
283 upvotes
Let a trustful family member use during the time?
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
418 posts
27 upvotes
While I do think I have to go with krozet's suggestion, i.e. cancel if they call my bluff, I have been hearing of rumours of "new entrants" for the past several years. Simply, Ontario is not an attractive market - I say this not based on some market data or facts, but on observation. I find it odd that the gap between the US (a backwater wireless market) and Canada has grown over the past few years.

I checked if I could sell the plan, and based on the alternatives it is a good plan, but I was told I could not. A year or so ago, one of the Fido reps offered me an iPhone to sign a contract - I almost shouted at him, "Only an idiot would get an iPhone!" I don't expect the provider to lose money, but do they really have to dig so deep in my pockets?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)