Automotive

SUV - Shudders for few minutes in winter

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 4:20 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
163 posts
67 upvotes
York, ON

SUV - Shudders for few minutes in winter

hi there.
i have a 2007 santa fe. its closing in on 200k now.
it has a problem only in winter and i have talked to two mechanics i go to and they said they need me to keep the car overnight - which i cant. so im hoping someone here can shed some light.

only in winters, if temp is below 0, my car has this shuddering/vibration and it feels like it is coming from the drivers side wheel.

it is there for 5-10mins and then disappears. sometimes longer.
when going downhill, if i don't accelerate - no shuddering. it kicks in only when i push the gas down - even a little. or even more when im going uphill.

no sounds etc. just shuddering. and i dont think its ice in wheel wells.
any clues? ball joints etc have been checked.

cheers.
26 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
kunalap wrote: hi there.
i have a 2007 santa fe. its closing in on 200k now.
it has a problem only in winter and i have talked to two mechanics i go to and they said they need me to keep the car overnight - which i cant. so im hoping someone here can shed some light.

only in winters, if temp is below 0, my car has this shuddering/vibration and it feels like it is coming from the drivers side wheel.

it is there for 5-10mins and then disappears. sometimes longer.
when going downhill, if i don't accelerate - no shuddering. it kicks in only when i push the gas down - even a little. or even more when im going uphill.

no sounds etc. just shuddering. and i dont think its ice in wheel wells.
any clues? ball joints etc have been checked.

cheers.
Could be worn engine/trans mounts. Or worn control arm bushings. If they've never been changed then they almost certainly need replacement.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7835 posts
8528 upvotes
Vancouver
If you mean this happens only in motion, and it's not engine vibration, then it's probably a worn rubber bushing in the suspension, like the control arm bushings as @engineered suggested. Another possibility is that some vehicles have a vibration-absorbing rubber connector in the driveshaft called a "giubo" that can cause the type of vibration you describe as it wears out.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
OP, is you're car FWD or AWD?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
163 posts
67 upvotes
York, ON
Scote64 wrote: If you mean this happens only in motion, and it's not engine vibration, then it's probably a worn rubber bushing in the suspension, like the control arm bushings as @engineered suggested. Another possibility is that some vehicles have a vibration-absorbing rubber connector in the driveshaft called a "giubo" that can cause the type of vibration you describe as it wears out.
if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Additionally, the shuddering happens only when i press on the gas pedal. if i am just rolling down hill - nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24396 upvotes
Center of Universe
Probably the tranny...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
kunalap wrote: if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Additionally, the shuddering happens only when i press on the gas pedal. if i am just rolling down hill - nothing.
It still could be your bushings, or even your CV joint. They warm up with use.
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Have you ever had it changed? That would be my number 1 suspect.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Probably the tranny...
It could be. I also think it is probable. OP, did you recently change the transmission fluid? Or has it ever been replaced?

Seems to be 100% temperature related. As the car warms up, the symptom is gone.

When you accelerate, there's "load" on the drivetrain, going downhill there is no load - so to speak
______________________________
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24396 upvotes
Center of Universe
motomondo wrote: It could be. I also think it is probable. OP, did you recently change the transmission fluid? Or has it ever been replaced?

Seems to be 100% temperature related. As the car warms up, the symptom is gone.

When you accelerate, there's "load" on the drivetrain, going downhill there is no load - so to speak
That's what happened to mine, albeit a CEL came on.
Funny enough, the tranny failed after the transfer case was replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7835 posts
8528 upvotes
Vancouver
kunalap wrote: if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Additionally, the shuddering happens only when i press on the gas pedal. if i am just rolling down hill - nothing.
Exactly the same symptoms as I had, plus I would get a resonant vibration around 105 km/hr that was like a tire slightly out of balance.

It goes away after a few minutes at lower speeds simply because the rubber bushings warm up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
What about EGR valve/intake manifold carbon deposit build up?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
163 posts
67 upvotes
York, ON
thanks all who replied.
so for now, here is a summary of what i have for the mechanic when i meet him next:

1.worn rubber bushing in suspension/control arm/CV joint
2.rubber connector in the driveshaft (giubo)
3.transmission fluid - i never did anything with this in the last 80k-100k kms that i have had this car.

i am quoted 150 for replacing transmission fluid, so i think i will start there.
maybe he can check the bushings also at the same time (im guessing this is where mechanics level of knowledge might play a part)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
kunalap wrote: thanks all who replied.
so for now, here is a summary of what i have for the mechanic when i meet him next:

1.worn rubber bushing in suspension/control arm/CV joint
2.rubber connector in the driveshaft (giubo)
3.transmission fluid - i never did anything with this in the last 80k-100k kms that i have had this car.

i am quoted 150 for replacing transmission fluid, so i think i will start there.
maybe he can check the bushings also at the same time (im guessing this is where mechanics level of knowledge might play a part)
I don't think your car will have a guibo, usually that's only on the driveshaft to the rear wheels.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10426 posts
11105 upvotes
Toronto
I advise against dropping anywhere near >$500 on a 13 year old Hyundai.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: I advise against dropping anywhere near >$500 on a 13 year old Hyundai.
I was surprised a friend got fed up with his 2010 Hyundai SUV and traded it in for $500 last year (2016 RAV4H). I was appalled because I'd rather drive my 11 Accord to the ground than sell it for $500 after just 10-11 years of ownership.

I'm not even making this story up. Sometimes people just get so fed up with their vehicles they'd trade them in for a pittance just to get over the emotional roller coaster. These are just cars though not a marital break up.
Banned
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I was surprised a friend got fed up with his 2010 Hyundai SUV and traded it in for $500 last year (2016 RAV4H). I was appalled because I'd rather drive my 11 Accord to the ground that sell it for $500 after just 10-11 years of ownership.

I'm not even making this story up. Sometimes people just get so fed up with their vehicles they'd trade them in for a pittance just to get over the emotional roller coaster. These are just cars though not a marital break up.
But maybe the SUV was in need of $3,000 of repairs (example).
So trading it for $500 was the only way anyone else would take it.

I am just saying that it is possible, because it happens often...

On the other hand, if it was in fairly good shape, and he was bored or ready to get rid of it, and gave it away for $500... well, that's another story...
______________________________
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
motomondo wrote: But maybe the SUV was in need of $3,000 of repairs (example).
So trading it for $500 was the only way anyone else would take it.

I am just saying that it is possible, because it happens often...

On the other hand, if it was in fairly good shape, and he was bored or ready to get rid of it, and gave it away for $500... well, that's another story...
But I'd look at it from the POV whether that $3k repair will hold up for a few years. Even if my $0 Civic required $2,000 in repairs, if those will last give years (new suspension components), I'm all for it. Engine and transmissions are so far okay.

There are repairs and there are band-aid fixes where problems will arise a few weeks or months later. I'd do the former but trade in the latter if it's too time consuming and if there are just too many potential root causes.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5899 posts
5075 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kunalap wrote: hi there.
i have a 2007 santa fe. its closing in on 200k now.
it has a problem only in winter and i have talked to two mechanics i go to and they said they need me to keep the car overnight - which i cant. so im hoping someone here can shed some light.

only in winters, if temp is below 0, my car has this shuddering/vibration and it feels like it is coming from the drivers side wheel.

it is there for 5-10mins and then disappears. sometimes longer.
when going downhill, if i don't accelerate - no shuddering. it kicks in only when i push the gas down - even a little. or even more when im going uphill.

no sounds etc. just shuddering. and i dont think its ice in wheel wells.
any clues? ball joints etc have been checked.

cheers.
Where are you feeling the shudder/vibration?

Via feedback through the steering wheel? Or through your seat? Or through the door/armrest/dashboard? Or through your feet resting on the floor? All of the above or some of the above?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
163 posts
67 upvotes
York, ON
CanadianLurker wrote: Where are you feeling the shudder/vibration?

Via feedback through the steering wheel? Or through your seat? Or through the door/armrest/dashboard? Or through your feet resting on the floor? All of the above or some of the above?
its feels like driving with a flat - the front left wheel is flat. and some times i dont care and still gas it - the whole car vibrates. mostly the front two seats i guess.
today was warm: 1 to 4 degrees - no issues no problem all day.

but tomm if its 0 or -5 im pretty sure i will have this "flat" tire ride for some time if not all the way 25mins drive to work.

Top