• Feb 11th, 2020 4:20 pm
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
111 posts
35 upvotes
York, ON

SUV - Shudders for few minutes in winter

hi there.
i have a 2007 santa fe. its closing in on 200k now.
it has a problem only in winter and i have talked to two mechanics i go to and they said they need me to keep the car overnight - which i cant. so im hoping someone here can shed some light.

only in winters, if temp is below 0, my car has this shuddering/vibration and it feels like it is coming from the drivers side wheel.

it is there for 5-10mins and then disappears. sometimes longer.
when going downhill, if i don't accelerate - no shuddering. it kicks in only when i push the gas down - even a little. or even more when im going uphill.

no sounds etc. just shuddering. and i dont think its ice in wheel wells.
any clues? ball joints etc have been checked.

cheers.
26 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13780 upvotes
Oakville
kunalap wrote: hi there.
i have a 2007 santa fe. its closing in on 200k now.
it has a problem only in winter and i have talked to two mechanics i go to and they said they need me to keep the car overnight - which i cant. so im hoping someone here can shed some light.

only in winters, if temp is below 0, my car has this shuddering/vibration and it feels like it is coming from the drivers side wheel.

it is there for 5-10mins and then disappears. sometimes longer.
when going downhill, if i don't accelerate - no shuddering. it kicks in only when i push the gas down - even a little. or even more when im going uphill.

no sounds etc. just shuddering. and i dont think its ice in wheel wells.
any clues? ball joints etc have been checked.

cheers.
Could be worn engine/trans mounts. Or worn control arm bushings. If they've never been changed then they almost certainly need replacement.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2187 posts
2098 upvotes
Vancouver
If you mean this happens only in motion, and it's not engine vibration, then it's probably a worn rubber bushing in the suspension, like the control arm bushings as @engineered suggested. Another possibility is that some vehicles have a vibration-absorbing rubber connector in the driveshaft called a "giubo" that can cause the type of vibration you describe as it wears out.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
111 posts
35 upvotes
York, ON
Scote64 wrote: If you mean this happens only in motion, and it's not engine vibration, then it's probably a worn rubber bushing in the suspension, like the control arm bushings as @engineered suggested. Another possibility is that some vehicles have a vibration-absorbing rubber connector in the driveshaft called a "giubo" that can cause the type of vibration you describe as it wears out.
if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Additionally, the shuddering happens only when i press on the gas pedal. if i am just rolling down hill - nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31138 posts
16894 upvotes
Ottawa
Probably the tranny...
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13780 upvotes
Oakville
kunalap wrote: if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Additionally, the shuddering happens only when i press on the gas pedal. if i am just rolling down hill - nothing.
It still could be your bushings, or even your CV joint. They warm up with use.
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Have you ever had it changed? That would be my number 1 suspect.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2919 posts
1084 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Probably the tranny...
It could be. I also think it is probable. OP, did you recently change the transmission fluid? Or has it ever been replaced?

Seems to be 100% temperature related. As the car warms up, the symptom is gone.

When you accelerate, there's "load" on the drivetrain, going downhill there is no load - so to speak
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31138 posts
16894 upvotes
Ottawa
motomondo wrote: It could be. I also think it is probable. OP, did you recently change the transmission fluid? Or has it ever been replaced?

Seems to be 100% temperature related. As the car warms up, the symptom is gone.

When you accelerate, there's "load" on the drivetrain, going downhill there is no load - so to speak
That's what happened to mine, albeit a CEL came on.
Funny enough, the tranny failed after the transfer case was replaced.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2187 posts
2098 upvotes
Vancouver
kunalap wrote: if its bushing or something similar - it doesnt explain why the shuddering disappears after few minutes - sometimes 5 minutes other times 20 minutes.
Exactly the same symptoms as I had, plus I would get a resonant vibration around 105 km/hr that was like a tire slightly out of balance.

It goes away after a few minutes at lower speeds simply because the rubber bushings warm up.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52032 posts
16659 upvotes
What about EGR valve/intake manifold carbon deposit build up?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
111 posts
35 upvotes
York, ON
thanks all who replied.
so for now, here is a summary of what i have for the mechanic when i meet him next:

1.worn rubber bushing in suspension/control arm/CV joint
2.rubber connector in the driveshaft (giubo)
3.transmission fluid - i never did anything with this in the last 80k-100k kms that i have had this car.

i am quoted 150 for replacing transmission fluid, so i think i will start there.
maybe he can check the bushings also at the same time (im guessing this is where mechanics level of knowledge might play a part)
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13780 upvotes
Oakville
kunalap wrote: thanks all who replied.
so for now, here is a summary of what i have for the mechanic when i meet him next:

1.worn rubber bushing in suspension/control arm/CV joint
2.rubber connector in the driveshaft (giubo)
3.transmission fluid - i never did anything with this in the last 80k-100k kms that i have had this car.

i am quoted 150 for replacing transmission fluid, so i think i will start there.
maybe he can check the bushings also at the same time (im guessing this is where mechanics level of knowledge might play a part)
I don't think your car will have a guibo, usually that's only on the driveshaft to the rear wheels.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9073 posts
7393 upvotes
Markham
I advise against dropping anywhere near >$500 on a 13 year old Hyundai.