Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2017 First Ride by MCN

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2017 9:22 pm
Banned
Jan 22, 2017
51 posts
11 upvotes

Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2017 First Ride by MCN

The all new Suzuki GSX=R 1000 has been ridden at MCN First Ride. What you all have to say about this bike. Looks Promising.
Images
  • Suzuki-2.jpg
26 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
You realize this is the 1000R and not the 1000.

The 1000R has some new tech, of which has been available on other manufactures, but same old K7 body. The R is basically the competition to the Kaw ZX-10R, which is a better bike than the Suzuki. And just to one up Suzuki, this year for 2017 Kaw is pumping out ZX-10RR which will blow the 1000R off the road.

So to answer the question. Nothing too exciting but it's another option which is always a nice thing.

Would also take S1000RR over this.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Its nice to see Suzuki finally update its great 1000 platform.

When shopping for 1000CC superbikes there really isent a bad bike; every bike has its pro's and cons but it's by the thinnest of margins.

Everyone has their own cup of tea in terms of brand; in my case once im approaching 20k for a bike I'd just go balls out and get an Italian for its looks ( Aprillia/Ducati)
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Panigale R or go home...Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

The MotoGP R1000R replica paint scheme on the GSXR is sharp. Can't wait for the season to start. Philip Island testing starts tomorrow evening. Will be watching live.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
These bikes suck for everything except track use. The ergonomics make longer rides painful on the body so forget any touring. The lack of low end torque makes city riding annoying so forget commuting. They are also expensive to insure, and they are a theft magnet. If you live in a condo and park underground, it's guaranteed to get stolen. I don't know why every idiot in the GTA wants a super sport.

It's a great bike for racing on the track, otherwise there are much more sensible bikes out there. Bikes like the FZ-07, FZ-09, FJ-09, SV-650, Z800, Ninja 650, VFR-800, etc.

If you absolutely need extreme power, there are high powered touring bikes like the Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000, FZ1, Hayabusa, Multistrada and some others, these bikes all have well over 100 hp and will go 0-100 in 3 seconds but they are comfortable enough to actually ride instead of having to stop every 30 minutes because you're in pain.

Anyone who disagrees can smell my socks.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
BeapChastard wrote: These bikes suck for everything except track use. The ergonomics make longer rides painful on the body so forget any touring. The lack of low end torque makes city riding annoying so forget commuting. They are also expensive to insure, and they are a theft magnet. If you live in a condo and park underground, it's guaranteed to get stolen. I don't know why every idiot in the GTA wants a super sport.

It's a great bike for racing on the track, otherwise there are much more sensible bikes out there. Bikes like the FZ-07, FZ-09, FJ-09, SV-650, Z800, Ninja 650, VFR-800, etc.

If you absolutely need extreme power, there are high powered touring bikes like the Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000, FZ1, Hayabusa, Multistrada and some others, these bikes all have well over 100 hp and will go 0-100 in 3 seconds but they are comfortable enough to actually ride instead of having to stop every 30 minutes because you're in pain.

You are correct chief. The SAAQ agrees with you, these bikes have been basically outlawed in QC. They quadrupled the price of plates ($1350/season)and you also need additional third party insurance (both combined is into the thousands/year) to ride these for basically a few sunny, warm days/year. I rarely see sportbikes in QC.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3607 posts
5352 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BeapChastard wrote: Anyone who disagrees can smell my socks.
lol

I've wanted a Hayabusa since I was a kid, but insurance is 8k / year for me. Riding a ER-6n instead :(
Oct 7, 2016
89 posts
91 upvotes
While there's no "bad" liter-class bikes out there right now, Suzuki still seems at the bottom of the heap, and have been for the past decade. Honda is only marginally better, while Yamaha and Kawi have some great stuff out there, along with BMW, Aprilia and Ducati. KTM hasn't really done anything with the RC8, but given how active they've been about keeping everything else 'fresh', I'd guess they're gonna update it with the new 1290 twin or something.
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: These bikes suck for everything except track use. The ergonomics make longer rides painful on the body so forget any touring. The lack of low end torque makes city riding annoying so forget commuting. They are also expensive to insure, and they are a theft magnet. If you live in a condo and park underground, it's guaranteed to get stolen. I don't know why every idiot in the GTA wants a super sport.

What? GSXRs' are the most comfortable bikes on the market. Their tank conforms to your chest and you can ride for a solid hour without feeling like your rib cage was being compressed by a gorilla. Most of the 'stock' aspects of the bike are street legal - you know, the most common aftermarket installation being integrated tail lights on any yami? All-in-all, GSXR's are a solid #1 in my books and I don't ride a GSXR.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Sociology1 wrote: What? GSXRs' are the most comfortable bikes on the market. Their tank conforms to your chest and you can ride for a solid hour without feeling like your rib cage was being compressed by a gorilla. Most of the 'stock' aspects of the bike are street legal - you know, the most common aftermarket installation being integrated tail lights on any yami? All-in-all, GSXR's are a solid #1 in my books and I don't ride a GSXR.
I get what he is saying and I don't think you are. After an hour in the a new season, back and wrist cramps are insane, it takes me into June before I can jump on for hours without issue. Although, I'm not 20 year old that jumps on a SS with field armor vest and a tank top... You need to remember, you're not lying on the tank on city streets with your legs on the rear pegs. You only tank lay when you're on a highway. And also the most after market install is slip on with license plate delete, and smoke bubble shield with factory sticker warning deletes.

Any SS is a solid ride. The thing that killed Suzuki, is the price. It's the cheapest go fast SS bike and all the squids bought them cause GSX-R. Ruined it for everyone I tell ya. Although without them, less track bikes and cheaper insurance. Lose win situation.
Psychopathetic wrote: Kawasaki H2R! Because I can.
I've yet to ride it... I think I'd be afraid.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
koffey wrote: I get what he is saying and I don't think you are. After an hour in the a new season, back and wrist cramps are insane, it takes me into June before I can jump on for hours without issue. Although, I'm not 20 year old that jumps on a SS with field armor vest and a tank top... You need to remember, you're not lying on the tank on city streets with your legs on the rear pegs. You only tank lay when you're on a highway. And also the most after market install is slip on with license plate delete, and smoke bubble shield with factory sticker warning deletes.

Any SS is a solid ride. The thing that killed Suzuki, is the price. It's the cheapest go fast SS bike and all the squids bought them cause GSX-R. Ruined it for everyone I tell ya. Although without them, less track bikes and cheaper insurance. Lose win situation.

I've yet to ride it... I think I'd be afraid.
A lot of his comments were against ergonomics of the bike; I disagree and I believe the bike is pretty comfortable in comparison to an R1 or X10. Your comments don't make a whole lot of sense.

1. Back and wrist camps - Try stretching before getting on a bike?
2. If it takes you until June before you can ride for hours, you're clearly not riding much before June. It takes a couple of times out before you 'adjust' to the riding stance for longer rides; not 3 months?
3. Not many 20 year olds jump onto a bike with an amor vest; that's a horrible stereotype. I can say anyone 'new' to the scene is guilty of doing this - age is irrelevant.
- I have an armor vest still from when I first started riding; now - it collects dust because of experience. Experience tells you that a good pair of perforated leathers is worth it, even +30 degrees outside.
4. You're lying on your tank during highway rides; you know, people that like to go fast and are not on the track choose to do so on open roads where there are less obstacles?
5. Legal and universal modifications (not exclusive to a GSXR):
- Slip on license plate delete is not illegal and this is universal for 'every' bike;
- Blacked out windshields are also not illegal and are universal on every bike;
- Fender eliminators are not illegal and, you guessed it, are universal mods all bikes have
- signal light eliminators are also not illegal and universal to every bike.

You would almost say you don't ride; don't be a know-it-all if you have no idea what you're talking about.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Sociology1 wrote: A lot of his comments were against ergonomics of the bike; I disagree and I believe the bike is pretty comfortable in comparison to an R1 or X10. Your comments don't make a whole lot of sense.

1. Back and wrist camps - Try stretching before getting on a bike?
2. If it takes you until June before you can ride for hours, you're clearly not riding much before June. It takes a couple of times out before you 'adjust' to the riding stance for longer rides; not 3 months?
3. Not many 20 year olds jump onto a bike with an amor vest; that's a horrible stereotype. I can say anyone 'new' to the scene is guilty of doing this - age is irrelevant.
- I have an armor vest still from when I first started riding; now - it collects dust because of experience. Experience tells you that a good pair of perforated leathers is worth it, even +30 degrees outside.
4. You're lying on your tank during highway rides; you know, people that like to go fast and are not on the track choose to do so on open roads where there are less obstacles?
5. Legal and universal modifications (not exclusive to a GSXR):
- Slip on license plate delete is not illegal and this is universal for 'every' bike;
- Blacked out windshields are also not illegal and are universal on every bike;
- Fender eliminators are not illegal and, you guessed it, are universal mods all bikes have
- signal light eliminators are also not illegal and universal to every bike.

You would almost say you don't ride; don't be a know-it-all if you have no idea what you're talking about.
Wow, lets have a look at your canned text.

1. Stretch all you want gumby, it doesn't help. I probably have ridden more bikes and more miles than you.
2. My bikes are out in April. I commute with them almost every day. Still, I guess I can't have your reasoning.
3. That's full of BS. I know many people that jumped onto a SS as their first bike, no issues. You must be ATGATT as well right?
4. You're the only trying to education on how comfortable the tank is, yet, how can you use it in the way it was mentioned on roads? You can't. How many SS owners actually track?
5. You said the most common aftermarket installation is the integrated lights on any yami? I bet you the universal mods are performed to more GSX-Rs than your integrated lights, hence why I called them out, universal to a particular model or not is absolutely rubbish.

You must have came right out of GTAM with your 'you must not ride; don't be a know it all if you have no idea what you're talking about' attitude. It's ok, I can comment at the inaccuracies in your post or suggest when you were misunderstanding like I did. You'd almost say you were one of them hypocrites at their best. Take the bunny hill while bragging to your bros you did monster moguls?
:facepalm:
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
This guy seems to think it's great..

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Sociology1 wrote: What? GSXRs' are the most comfortable bikes on the market. Their tank conforms to your chest and you can ride for a solid hour without feeling like your rib cage was being compressed by a gorilla. Most of the 'stock' aspects of the bike are street legal - you know, the most common aftermarket installation being integrated tail lights on any yami? All-in-all, GSXR's are a solid #1 in my books and I don't ride a GSXR.
Are you only aware of supersports and unaware that different styles of bikes exist? Because that is the only way you could think "gixxers are the most comfortable bikes on the market". GSXRs might be comfortable compared to other supersports, but they're still very uncomfortable compared to the other bikes I mentioned like the VFR or Ninja 1000.

Also LOL at you thinking 1 hour is a long ride. For me a long ride is, you start riding in the morning and you ride until 10pm, stopping only for gas and a quick lunch, and putting over 1000kms that day. I can do that on my bike without much pain, but not on a supersport.

I did a multi-day loop through northern ontario last summer. About 3400 kms over 4 days. That would have been torture on a gsxr.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Kamloops, BC to Edmonton, just over 1600 km in just over 20 hours. That's a long ride.

Kamloops, BC to Los Algondes, Mx. via Las Vegas, then to Palm Springs to pick up my wife. 2900 km in 33 hours of riding with one motel stop. That's a long ride too.

We've all done long rides but there's always someone who's done longer ones.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Nah man I think most of these toronto guys just ride up and down the 401 through the GTA, none of them ever go far outside the GTA.
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
koffey wrote: Wow, lets have a look at your canned text.

1. Stretch all you want gumby, it doesn't help. I probably have ridden more bikes and more miles than you.
2. My bikes are out in April. I commute with them almost every day. Still, I guess I can't have your reasoning.
3. That's full of BS. I know many people that jumped onto a SS as their first bike, no issues. You must be ATGATT as well right?
4. You're the only trying to education on how comfortable the tank is, yet, how can you use it in the way it was mentioned on roads? You can't. How many SS owners actually track?
5. You said the most common aftermarket installation is the integrated lights on any yami? I bet you the universal mods are performed to more GSX-Rs than your integrated lights, hence why I called them out, universal to a particular model or not is absolutely rubbish.

You must have came right out of GTAM with your 'you must not ride; don't be a know it all if you have no idea what you're talking about' attitude. It's ok, I can comment at the inaccuracies in your post or suggest when you were misunderstanding like I did. You'd almost say you were one of them hypocrites at their best. Take the bunny hill while bragging to your bros you did monster moguls?
:facepalm:
What the hell is your problem? You don't need to insult someone to make your point.

If you disagree, then state why; don't write a bunch of insults and trash talk because you can. This thread is about a gsxr, not a cruiser, or other style of bike - a gsxr. I'm giving my opinions on a gsxr by comparison to other similar bikes; my points are valid because they relate to the thread.

You're basically comparing this bike to some other 'class' of bike which is completely redundant.

Give your head a shake.
BeapChastard wrote: Are you only aware of supersports and unaware that different styles of bikes exist? Because that is the only way you could think "gixxers are the most comfortable bikes on the market". GSXRs might be comfortable compared to other supersports, but they're still very uncomfortable compared to the other bikes I mentioned like the VFR or Ninja 1000.

this thread is about Gxsrs 1000 and comparable bikes; I think they are a lot more comfortable than other similar bikes (R1, X10, etc), especially at the price point (compared to an F4, etc.). You're comment is totally irrelevant and, again, you're insulting me for nonsense reasoning

Also LOL at you thinking 1 hour is a long ride. For me a long ride is, you start riding in the morning and you ride until 10pm, stopping only for gas and a quick lunch, and putting over 1000kms that day. I can do that on my bike without much pain, but not on a supersport.

I did a multi-day loop through northern ontario last summer. About 3400 kms over 4 days. That would have been torture on a gsxr.
More than throwing insults, you're making assumptions on moot points. If you're interested in what I think a long ride is - ask; don't start pissing and act like you won some pissing contest when nobody else is participating.

The both of you are complete snobs; sure, you both 'ride', but it sounds like you think you're better than me and anyone else that rides a ss because... a ss is a different class of a bike than what you ride? we don't go on as long of rides as yourself? The hell is wrong with you?

Ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
That looks like a great bike. Too bad a litre bike costs a fortune to keep in the city. As it goes, my R6 costs a fortune for insurance. My wife just rolls her eyes every time my renewal comes around. It only went up $20 this year, so I'm still under $2k for insurance right now, so I can still justify it...for now...

As for the argument about the comfort level of an SS- it's all personal. All bikes feel different to everybody. I can ride for about 3hrs before I get sore. But it depends on your age, riding style, and also personal fitness (which relates to body shape as well). One thing is for sure though- if anybody thinks that an SS is ever more comfortable than a touring or sport-touring bike, they're just delusional. When it comes to comfort and practicality, I miss my SV pretty bad. But the I remember how it has no grunt after 150 or so on the highway and then I don't feel bad anymore.
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: That looks like a great bike. Too bad a litre bike costs a fortune to keep in the city. As it goes, my R6 costs a fortune for insurance. My wife just rolls her eyes every time my renewal comes around. It only went up $20 this year, so I'm still under $2k for insurance right now, so I can still justify it...for now...

As for the argument about the comfort level of an SS- it's all personal. All bikes feel different to everybody. I can ride for about 3hrs before I get sore. But it depends on your age, riding style, and also personal fitness (which relates to body shape as well). One thing is for sure though- if anybody thinks that an SS is ever more comfortable than a touring or sport-touring bike, they're just delusional. When it comes to comfort and practicality, I miss my SV pretty bad. But the I remember how it has no grunt after 150 or so on the highway and then I don't feel bad anymore.
Couldn't agree with this post more.

Comfort is definitely person-to-person; I find the suspension to be very stiff on stock R1s compared to stock GSXR1s. That 'stuffness' makes the GSXR a lot more comfortable; but after cradling the tank - my rib cage doesn't feel crushed like it does on a R1 or X10.

I agree, after about 3 hours I'm sore and need to chill for a bit; and supersports are not in the same league as a cruiser or touring bike for comfort; that being said, supersports are in a different league on cornering, acceleration, and everything that goes on in a track.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)