• Aug 30th, 2021 11:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1787 posts
862 upvotes
Narkham

Swapping Light Switches Within The Same Panel

Want to change the order of the light switches within a 4 switch panel. They are not lined up in a logical order, and want to switch them around to "flow" better. (swap Light Switch #1 with #3 etc.)

Switches are a mix of 2 and 3 way switches.

For other areas of the house with 2 switches, I have just swapped the order and crossed the wires behind the plate - is this ok?

Otherwise if I were to hire an electrician how much would it go for?
RFD: Rarely Finding Discounts on things I actually need
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2113 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
Same process as you have already used, if the jumper wires are not long enough you may need to replace with ones a bit longer or place a cap and wire depending on what you find.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2200 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
If the wires are long enough to move to the position desired, yes you can move the switch to different positions maintaining the same switch to wire. Just don't lose track which wire goes to which switch terminal if you end up disconnecting wires.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7222 posts
2248 upvotes
0 downvotes
i did this myself, peace of cake. just shut the hydro, unscrew the switch from the junction box but make sure the wires remain connected, then move the switch to the other position of the junction box and screw it in. you might want to label em with a small peace of tape so you keep track of the order you want them in so label 1, 2, 3, and 4 on them to indicate which order you want, then wire them up, turn back the hydro and WaaLa! good as new
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)