• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2009 8:41 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2007
487 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto

The Sweet Potato - Fantastic Prices!!

I have posted about this place before..in the GURU thread...

I was there again today to buy some, and I can't believe how cheap their prices are! This is a specialty grocery store, selling mainly health foods, and organic foods, and yet beat most grocery store prices!

Vibe is awesome too.. love the cool hip vibe they have going there, and the staff rock too!! Just so friendly!!

I usually stop by there to buy GURU between online orders, as they seem to be about the cheapest place to buy them in Toronto at $1.99/can.

I suggest to anyone living in and around the GTA to check this place out!!

2995 Dundas Street West, Toronto, M6P 1Z4

http://thesweetpotato.ca/
13 replies
[OP]
Jun 7, 2007
487 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
For one, their prices are unbeatable on most products, including breads and milks..

Secondly, as I said before, the staff are just amazing.. so over the top friendly, it feels like I am somewhere other than cold Toronto.

You should stop in next time you're going to do your grocery shopping.. you'll see what im talking about!
Oct 31, 2007
3458 posts
518 upvotes
do you work there? perhaps in their marketing department?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2007
487 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
nufan wrote: do you work there? perhaps in their marketing department?
Seriously, whats with you guys? I posted some deals about GURU, and all of a sudden I work for GURU..

Now I post about a cool hip store and now I work for them.. LOL.. you guys are too much!! Maybe it's my enthusiasm portrayed through my writing or something? Maybe I'm overly positive? I dunno!! Maybe I should just stop posting on this site!

I'm going to read all the posts you start and ask if you work for that company too :P
Aug 13, 2007
93 posts
8 upvotes
The Sweet Potato is a great little shop! I live down the street - and it's true - the prices are excellent. They have great coffee too!

And besides, I like to support friendly neighborhood shops!

D
Dec 11, 2006
207 posts
2 upvotes
I agree. The Sweet Potato in the Junction in awesome! However, this does not appear to be a hot deal. Nothing specific is mentioned. Any examples of current sales or anything?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2007
487 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
As I mentioned in the first post..

GURU Organic Energy drinks at 1.99/can <--- HOT DEAL!! All other stores sell them 2.79-2.99 or 2 for 5 (which is still a really good price compared to redbulls and other energy drinks laced with chemicals).

I was a little vague about this as there is a whole GURU thread that I started a while back, and just wanted to bring some awareness to an awesome store with fantastic prices all round..

I'll try and stop by there tomorrow and bring a list of deals to post for everyone!
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11322 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
We'd love to hear about the deals, but this may be the wrong place to boast about a store's "vibe."
Superstar1 wrote:Vibe is awesome too.. love the cool hip vibe they have going there, and the staff rock too!! Just so friendly!!

I usually stop by there to buy GURU between online orders, as they seem to be about the cheapest place to buy them in Toronto at $1.99/can.
If anybody here cared about "vibe," they wouldn't be ordering new computer monitors at 6:50 a.m. in their underwear.

Then again, you could just be adding some class to the forum....

But just to be clear: it's a deal when you post the price of something, and we care. No need to gush about it; generally, we're not 12.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1145 posts
865 upvotes
Markham
Superstar1 wrote: As I mentioned in the first post..

GURU Organic Energy drinks at 1.99/can <--- HOT DEAL!! All other stores sell them 2.79-2.99 or 2 for 5 (which is still a really good price compared to redbulls and other energy drinks laced with chemicals).

I was a little vague about this as there is a whole GURU thread that I started a while back, and just wanted to bring some awareness to an awesome store with fantastic prices all round..

I'll try and stop by there tomorrow and bring a list of deals to post for everyone!
If your post was about the Guru drink price and you mentioned that you liked the store as well, then I think people would have accepted it as a "Hot Deals" post.
But since your post title and main topic was "oh I love this store, everyone's so nice", it becomes more like an advertisement, and not a Hot Deals post.

Just trying to "bring some awareness" to a store = advertising for the store.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
Superstar1 wrote: Seriously, whats with you guys? I posted some deals about GURU, and all of a sudden I work for GURU..

Now I post about a cool hip store and now I work for them.. LOL.. you guys are too much!! Maybe it's my enthusiasm portrayed through my writing or something? Maybe I'm overly positive? I dunno!! Maybe I should just stop posting on this site!

I'm going to read all the posts you start and ask if you work for that company too :P
I was just popping in to check interesting posts, not making a personal attack or anything. But what is really interesting for me is that in your post don't say for sure whether you work for them or not.

CM
[OP]
Jun 7, 2007
487 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianMoFo wrote: I was just popping in to check interesting posts, not making a personal attack or anything. But what is really interesting for me is that in your post don't say for sure whether you work for them or not.

CM
LoL.. What amazes me so much is that you guys actually care.
So here is the disclaimer: I 100% do not work for The Sweet Potato..

This having been said, it gives me an opportunity to tell you what I think about some of the general responses and attitudes within redflagdeals (not exclusive to this thread).

I started this one mainly because I thought this was a cool store. Why is it ok to write a; "NEVER BUY SO AND SO FROM SO SO," post? This is a completely opposite kinda post, and for the most part, as much as I hate using this word within this context, a selfless act.

Really, I did post a hot deal within the post.. read it again. Furthermore, you will see that I tagged it GTA so others really don't have to waste their time checking.

Has society become so despondent that this "type" of post is out of the ordinary?

How many people agreed with me? Come on! LOL!
anml wrote: The Sweet Potato is a great little shop! I live down the street - and it's true - the prices are excellent. They have great coffee too!

And besides, I like to support friendly neighborhood shops!

D
rh-7 wrote: I agree. The Sweet Potato in the Junction in awesome! However, this does not appear to be a hot deal. Nothing specific is mentioned. Any examples of current sales or anything?
So, if 2 people, after the post has been up for a couple of hours agree with this, then why does anyone really have to bring anything negative to it? We are merely telling you to check out this store..
Feb 20, 2009
333 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
I am so going to check the store out this weekend! Thanks Superstar1 :)
ps. That is a fantastic price for GURU ;)
"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."
- Aristotle Onassis
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1145 posts
865 upvotes
Markham
Superstar1 wrote: This having been said, it gives me an opportunity to tell you what I think about some of the general responses and attitudes within redflagdeals (not exclusive to this thread). I started this one mainly because I thought this was a cool store.
Hi Superstar1, while your post was appreciated, the point was that the WAY you posted it wasn't a post about a DEAL, it was a post about the STORE. If you're posting to tell us about a DEAL, then it belongs in the Hot Deals forum. If you're posting mainly about the Store, then it belongs in the discussions. And your overenthusiasm had people apprehensive (there have been posts in Hot Deals by employees for other stores before so it's not unprecedented).
Superstar1 wrote: Why is it ok to write a; "NEVER BUY SO AND SO FROM SO SO," post?
Starting a thread just to complain about a store would NOT be allowed in the Hot Deals forum, and like your thread, it would be moved, actually.

Anyway, sorry if we come off as negative, we're just trying to help you keep from getting flamed in the future by the crazy internet nerds that act as if you've eaten their first born by wasting their precious time clicking a link. :o

You just need to format your threads about the Deal if it's going to be in the Hot Deals section is all, or else everyone will think you're working there :rolleyes: (though really, I don't see a huge problem with that if there is a legitimate deal they want to share, and not just trying to plug the store)

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!