• Jul 27th, 2020 12:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2137 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto

Swimming pool enclosure fence

I have one week to put one up and I can't seem to find any material available locally in GTA. Rona has exactly what I'm looking for but it's 2+ weeks for delivery.
https://www.rona.ca/en/imperial-kool-ra ... 0-09215124

Has anyone installed one recently? How much was it?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1185 posts
2100 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
why do you have a week?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8198 posts
5115 upvotes
Mississauga
Someone ratted out OP to bylaw enforcement...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21019 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mrweather wrote: Someone ratted out OP to bylaw enforcement...
This

Or ... he didn’t plan ahead to have the fence put up in a timely manner right after the pool went in

Most folks plan out the whole job ... start to finish

As the required turn around time is usually IMMEDIATE

Temporary barrier / fencing is truly very very short term
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2137 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: This

Or ... he didn’t plan ahead to have the fence put up in a timely manner right after the pool went in

Something along these lines. A lot on this pool was done by myself and separate trades to save $ so the enclosure part was missed.
Jan 22, 2012
645 posts
258 upvotes
Bradford
Pressure Treated Lumber seems to be impossible to find. I have been trying to get some 4x4s and 2x4s for 3 weeks now.

Most places have shipments coming in but the truck is almost completely sold out with orders before it even arrives.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1309 posts
876 upvotes
London, On
Order the Rona product and if by-law comes, which I doubt anyway, show them the order. They know the situation everyone has going on. Leave the temporary fence up. Not much else you can do if you can't get the supplies right away.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7242 posts
2827 upvotes
GTA
djeffery wrote: Order the Rona product and if by-law comes, which I doubt anyway, show them the order. They know the situation everyone has going on. Leave the temporary fence up. Not much else you can do if you can't get the supplies right away.
Its probably the building dept, OP should call/email and request an extension. Would be better to go in person but think Toronto offices are still closed to the public.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
djeffery wrote: Order the Rona product and if by-law comes, which I doubt anyway, show them the order. They know the situation everyone has going on. Leave the temporary fence up. Not much else you can do if you can't get the supplies right away.
The bylaw in my area specifically states that you cannot allow a pool to have water in it, even if temporary fencing is in place.
-no person shall permit water to be placed in or remain in a pool unless a fence has been constructed that complies with standards for permanent fence.
Further section 1.5 permits temp fence only during construction with the permanent fence required to be in place before filling and/or using pool.

I'm building an integrated deck/pool enclosure ATM, and contacted my inspector specifically in this regards. I was hoping the pool could be filled and used with just the temporary fence in place, but no joy. I believe it's to prevent the temporary fence becoming the defacto permanent fence.

This is based on Ontario Code, and YMMV along with your local building inspector.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1485 posts
1001 upvotes
Longueuil
PointsHubby wrote: This

It depends if you use the same company to do the pool and the fence. My sister had a pool installed 2 years ago and they use 2 different companies (one was specialized in fencing/rails and they also did the rails on their patio at the same time). One company installed the pool and then the other installed the fence. With the weather and surprises, you can't have an exact date of when the pool installation will be done. In her case the delay was minimal but even when you plan, the dates are not always perfect.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2137 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder, given that the property is fenced and instead of having an inclosure around the pool if having a fence just before the pool across the whole property - would that work?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
koleso wrote: I wonder, given that the property is fenced and instead of having an inclosure around the pool if having a fence just before the pool across the whole property - would that work?
Yes, but there are conditions. The fencing must be a specific height, and constructed in a specific way out of specific materials. You'd need to check with your building department to get the details. Many municipalities have their own existing bylaws that haven't been harmonised to the OBC due to time constraints (councils have to approve changes), and you can get tripped up by some quirky requirement.

Even if you submit drawings and get approval, they may find something that they overlooked. I had this happen to me; submitted drawings, got the permit issued, then was told, "Oh sorry, this detail needs to be changed", when the inspector realised his error. I could have fought it, but making enemies with the inspectors is not a good idea. Luckily I hadn't got to that part of construction yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1309 posts
876 upvotes
London, On
MrFrugal1 wrote: The bylaw in my area specifically states that you cannot allow a pool to have water in it, even if temporary fencing is in place.
-no person shall permit water to be placed in or remain in a pool unless a fence has been constructed that complies with standards for permanent fence.
Further section 1.5 permits temp fence only during construction with the permanent fence required to be in place before filling and/or using pool.

I'm building an integrated deck/pool enclosure ATM, and contacted my inspector specifically in this regards. I was hoping the pool could be filled and used with just the temporary fence in place, but no joy. I believe it's to prevent the temporary fence becoming the defacto permanent fence.

This is based on Ontario Code, and YMMV along with your local building inspector.
The OP still has to order their fence supplies from somewhere, is my point. If he knows it's going to take 2 weeks from one place, then order it and wait the 2 weeks. Take your chances with the inspector or don't, up to them. Be polite and humble if the inspector shows up "I'm so sorry sir, I have the supplies on order, here's the paperwork, you know how backed up things are, I honestly thought the temporary fence was fine until then". The inspector either lets it go, or comes down on you. Both pools I had put in, we called the inspector for final inspection, they didn't just show up anyway, so I'd be inclined to take my chances rather than burn a couple weeks of the relatively short time left for pool season. Most inspectors would probably tell you they'd rather see a pool with water in it surrounded by a construction fence for a couple weeks than an empty concrete hole in the ground surrounded by construction fence anyway.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11767 posts
6955 upvotes
Paris
Certain communities are really anal about pool fencing as they have a lot of child deaths from drowning in a year. Mississauga comes to mind. No wiggle room on fences/pools.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21019 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MrFrugal1 wrote:
The bylaw in my area specifically states that you cannot allow a pool to have water in it, even if temporary fencing is in place.

This.
Jerico wrote: Certain communities are really anal about pool fencing as they have a lot of child deaths from drowning in a year. Mississauga comes to mind. No wiggle room on fences/pools.
And this is precisely the reason WHY there is this rule.

The Municipal Jurisdiction is far more concerned about accidental drownings than they are about an open concrete pit ... or just general ugliness of a temporary construction fence = https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-4-ft- ... /100384030

Although those are factors too for City Bylaw

Makes sense, as TOO MANY KIDS drown every summer.
And little ones are just naturally curious / drawn to water.
Even one drown child ... is one too many
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1485 posts
1001 upvotes
Longueuil
djeffery wrote: The OP still has to order their fence supplies from somewhere, is my point. If he knows it's going to take 2 weeks from one place, then order it and wait the 2 weeks. Take your chances with the inspector or don't, up to them. Be polite and humble if the inspector shows up "I'm so sorry sir, I have the supplies on order, here's the paperwork, you know how backed up things are, I honestly thought the temporary fence was fine until then". The inspector either lets it go, or comes down on you. Both pools I had put in, we called the inspector for final inspection, they didn't just show up anyway, so I'd be inclined to take my chances rather than burn a couple weeks of the relatively short time left for pool season. Most inspectors would probably tell you they'd rather see a pool with water in it surrounded by a construction fence for a couple weeks than an empty concrete hole in the ground surrounded by construction fence anyway.
Installing the fence should be a top priority. However, I agree that an empty pool with a temporary fence does look much more dangerous to me than a pool with water with a temporary fence.

If a kid manages to go across the temporary fence and falls head first on the concrete at the bottom of the pool, it would be safer if the pool was filled with water IMO.
1. Without water, the death rate is probably quite high while some kids do know how to swim so they would survive if there was water (I am definitely not saying that kids should swim without supervision but some do know how to swim)
2. Hopefully an adult is nearby and can go to the pool in the next 10 seconds. Without water there is nothing to do, it is too late but if you go get the kid from the water within 10 seconds, I would assume drowning is less likely.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21019 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JEDI Force wrote: Installing the fence should be a top priority. However, I agree that an empty pool with a temporary fence does look much more dangerous to me than a pool with water with a temporary fence.

If a kid manages to go across the temporary fence and falls head first on the concrete at the bottom of the pool, it would be safer if the pool was filled with water IMO.
1. Without water, the death rate is probably quite high while some kids do know how to swim so they would survive if there was water (I am definitely not saying that kids should swim without supervision but some do know how to swim)
2. Hopefully an adult is nearby and can go to the pool in the next 10 seconds. Without water there is nothing to do, it is too late but if you go get the kid from the water within 10 seconds, I would assume drowning is less likely.
Sorry ...

But seriously, do you even have kids ?

Cuz you sure aren’t familiar with the curiosity of kids, or how QUICKLY a tragedy like this can happen

GOOGLE : Toddler Drowns in Backyard Pool

The headlines / stories will SHOCK you.

* Two Toddlers Drowned in Backyard Pools in Quebec Friday Night (July 11th)
* Quebec Girl 3, Drowns in Backyard Pool South of Montreal (July 4th)
* 4 Year Old Drowns in Backyard Swimming Pool in Laval (July 8th)

This is just July ... and just Quebec (my news feed is set to Montreal )

These tragedies happen every summer in Canada ... more often than you realize
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JEDI Force wrote: Installing the fence should be a top priority. However, I agree that an empty pool with a temporary fence does look much more dangerous to me than a pool with water with a temporary fence.

Older toddlers typically have enough depth perception and learned experience to know the edge of a precipice is dangerous. A pool filled to within a couple inches of the top doesn't provide that. If a toddler fell into an empty pool, there's a high probability of survival. If a toddler falls into a pool with six feet of water in it, the odds of survival are close to zero.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1309 posts
876 upvotes
London, On
MrFrugal1 wrote: Older toddlers typically have enough depth perception and learned experience to know the edge of a precipice is dangerous. A pool filled to within a couple inches of the top doesn't provide that. If a toddler fell into an empty pool, there's a high probability of survival. If a toddler falls into a pool with six feet of water in it, the odds of survival are close to zero.
OK, but those toddlers are likely to be from the household getting the pool installed, not just random 3 year olds wandering the neighbourhood unattended, and would be accessing the pool area from the house regardless of what type of fence is outside.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
djeffery wrote: OK, but those toddlers are likely to be from the household getting the pool installed, not just random 3 year olds wandering the neighbourhood unattended, and would be accessing the pool area from the house regardless of what type of fence is outside.
What tangent on Allah's green Earth are you going about ?
Sorry, I'm not going to argue for the sake of argument with you on this. Join the debate team.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)