Food & Drink

Swiss Chalet Sauce

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2004 2:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 3, 2004
109 posts

Swiss Chalet Sauce

I love Swiss Chalet sauce. Sometimes I buy the powdered stuff from Dominion and eat it as soup. I have also had it with pasta shells and also made poutine with it!! Anyone else like Swiss Chalet Sauce this much?
40 replies
Jr. Member
Sep 9, 2004
145 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I also enjoy the SC sauce...for dipping my chicken and fries...but always disappointed with their take out service...always getting my orders wrong...and just yesterday, the sauce that they gave me was the sauce for mashed potatoes...I was wondering why it tasted different!

> :(
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
1 upvote
.without exception Swiss chalet has the worst service ever. Sometimes it looks like they're doing it to be dicks but other times its just inadvertant. If they spinned off swiss chalet i'd short it like there's no tomorrow. The service quality is so poor i'm going to go elsewhere even through they're food/price is okay. I mean increase the price if you really must but make the brand not so ****py.

i've been to multiple locations with different people and everyone agrees.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
I don't like Swiss chalet sauce at all.

Service of most of their restaurant sucks. However, the new one such as the one in Markville Mall tends to be much better in service.

However, the service is not as good anymore but not to the level of the old one such as the old one in Woodbine & Dennison (I think it is closed now and there is a new one in the other side which I never tried), Kennedy & Dennison, Hwy 7 & McCowan (east of McCowan).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
i don't like nor dislike the chalet sauce.
as for service, take out is horribly slow, dining in, i haven't had any problems.
i stood for like 15 minutes for take out, that's totally uncalled for, i didn't even order a lot either. it was jus one double leg dinner.
the price is more than reasonable however.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30579 posts
5065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have no opinion about the sauce. But if you knew what they used to make it, you would probably have a different opinion.

As for the service. In Mississauga, they are pretty good. No more than 15 minutes for take out and dinning room is always fast. They refill your drinks without asking etc.

How about the alternative? St. Huberts? I know most of them are gone in Scarborough, but there are a few kicking around.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
up until a few months ago, the st clair and keele location gave good sized meaty chicken breasts for the dinner. then i noticed the chicken breasts were so small and scrawny, it's a rip off. i think they increased their price for the half rack rib dinner by at least $1 - rip off.

i like their chalet sauce for dipping the french fries in. i put some ketchup on the fries and then dip them in the sauce. quite tasty. but i don't love the sauce so much that i'd buy their mix in the grocery stores.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
tyrred2 wrote:I love Swiss Chalet sauce. Sometimes I buy the powdered stuff from Dominion and eat it as soup. I have also had it with pasta shells and also made poutine with it!! Anyone else like Swiss Chalet Sauce this much?
ya, ive bought it at dominion and made poutine w/ it 2 !
Create your own custom Avatar @ AbiStation
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30579 posts
5065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
OS44 wrote:what do they use to make the sauce?
I can tell ya, but then I have to kill ya.

Actually, it is pretty gross. The typical spices, MSG (salt). But the main ingredients are stuff the drips from the rotissiery when they cook the chicken and other chicken parts.

Not kidding. My brother worked for Swiss Bird several years back. I couldn't eat that stuff for years when I found out.
Member
Sep 18, 2004
386 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto ON
Gee wrote:I can tell ya, but then I have to kill ya.

Actually, it is pretty gross. The typical spices, MSG (salt). But the main ingredients are stuff the drips from the rotissiery when they cook the chicken and other chicken parts.

Not kidding. My brother worked for Swiss Bird several years back. I couldn't eat that stuff for years when I found out.
Dude, that's standard gravy recipe (except for the MSG, which is not salt). Did you have thanksgiving turkey with gravy this year? (drippings) How about stuffing? (stock) Same deal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
1701 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't like their chalet sauce. I usually tell them I don't want any in hopes that they'll fill the void left by the missing cup with extra fries.

I love Wednesdays when you can get the 1/4 chicken dinner (dark meat) for $5.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
Gee wrote:But the main ingredients are stuff the drips from the rotissiery when they cook the chicken and other chicken parts.
That's basic cookery. Time for a cooking class.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
1 upvote
you sure? i've been to at least 2 in sauga too. every time I go even when they're not busy they ask about the drinks once and after that they're gone. My friend even asked for a refill while they were going past and they just ignored him untill the "right" server is there. that's piss poor service as they could easily just hand it to the other server. keep in mind I'm still leaving a 15% tip even with lousy service.
Gee wrote:I have no opinion about the sauce. But if you knew what they used to make it, you would probably have a different opinion.

As for the service. In Mississauga, they are pretty good. No more than 15 minutes for take out and dinning room is always fast. They refill your drinks without asking etc.

How about the alternative? St. Huberts? I know most of them are gone in Scarborough, but there are a few kicking around.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
1 upvote
no the service was slightly better when I was a kid. they brought out salad dressing and such without forgeting. and refilled drinks at least once insttead of trying ot hide out near the kitchen even the place is almost empty

Top