• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2004 2:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6461 posts
3 upvotes
My wife and I used to work at Swiss Chalet. That sauce is vile, vile stuff. Nothing wrong with the way they prepared it, but to us it just tasted *awful*.

Now, a few years back they used to have honey garlic sauce all the time... nice :)
Apr 6, 2003
816 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Here's a vote for St. Hubs....

Their Table de Hote deal rocks.. $11.99 for a 3 course meal, soup, quarter chicken and pick any dessert.... service is great and the places looks like it belongs in 2004.

Queensway and West Mall is the only one I know of.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:swiss chalet is too old school. i see them closing all over the place... they haven't updated since i was a kid, they're still the same... :(
Well, I see them open a new one all over the place. They even have an old one right next to the new one. e.g. an old one in the east side of McCowan and Hwy 7 and a new one in the west side of McCowan and Hwy 7. I have no idea how the old one still lives.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18183 posts
131 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, I've heard of others who also drink Swiss Chalet sauce. No idea why.

BTW, St. Hubert sauce is still the best! And you can buy the sauce in a can at some grocery stores like Dominion (either that or Loblaws, can't remember .. not all stores have it) There are other St. Hubert sauce in addition to the BBQ sauce like the poutine sauce and gravy.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18183 posts
131 upvotes
GTA
yeah, wish the local St.Huberts didn't close down. They had the best chicken. Last time I went with my best friend to visit some friends in Montreal, I recommended we have our lunch at St. Hubert. We had a really good time, nice to see they've expanded their menu to include chicken wings and much more than the GTA ones before they closed. Everyone thought it was really yummy and thanked me for the suggestion :D

Gee wrote:I have no opinion about the sauce. But if you knew what they used to make it, you would probably have a different opinion.

As for the service. In Mississauga, they are pretty good. No more than 15 minutes for take out and dinning room is always fast. They refill your drinks without asking etc.

How about the alternative? St. Huberts? I know most of them are gone in Scarborough, but there are a few kicking around.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
Sauce is mediocre at best.....
Many years ago it was VERY GOOD....tasted like real home made.

All good sauces r made with drippings...which includes the fat in the drippings. Not hard....yet so many people dont know how to do it.
:twisted:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15414 posts
5680 upvotes
eliteblaze wrote:that's piss poor service as they could easily just hand it to the other server. keep in mind I'm still leaving a 15% tip even with lousy service.
If the server is ignoring you, essentially disrespecting you as a customer, why would you leave such a large tip?

Because not leaving that size of tip is a slap in the face to the server? Isn't that the same way you fell when you don't even get a drink refilled?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
they still need to make a living? plus i thought they might offer better service next time.. but no :p
TrevorK wrote:If the server is ignoring you, essentially disrespecting you as a customer, why would you leave such a large tip?

Because not leaving that size of tip is a slap in the face to the server? Isn't that the same way you fell when you don't even get a drink refilled?
Apr 20, 2004
201 posts
5 upvotes
Sarnia
Swiss Chalet sauce is great. When I get a 1/4 chicken dinner I never have enough sauce for the all chicken, fries and roll dipping action. Haters be damned!
Aug 10, 2001
765 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gman wrote:I don't like Swiss chalet sauce at all.
Agreed .. its sucks bad .. but to each his own.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gee wrote:I can tell ya, but then I have to kill ya.

Actually, it is pretty gross. The typical spices, MSG (salt). But the main ingredients are stuff the drips from the rotissiery when they cook the chicken and other chicken parts.

Not kidding. My brother worked for Swiss Bird several years back. I couldn't eat that stuff for years when I found out.

I'm really surprised the things that ppl find "gross" these days. If "Typical spices" and MSG gross you out, I'd like to find out what you cook with.

but i love swiss chalet sauce. I will have to try the poutine thing. Never thought of that. THanks!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TrevorK wrote:If the server is ignoring you, essentially disrespecting you as a customer, why would you leave such a large tip?

I feel no remorse if I don't leave a tip but the only way i won't is if the service is just REALLY bad and I'm not picky at all. If the food is wrong then I'll still tip if the service was good. The last time I remembered not tipping was at Mr. GreenJean at Eaton Centre.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
129 upvotes
Peterborough
M-e-X-x wrote:swiss chalet is too old school. i see them closing all over the place... they haven't updated since i was a kid, they're still the same... :(
I remember them when they made the poor waitresses wear those stupid little Swiss Miss uniforms. Used to hate going there 'cause the menu was so freakin' unimaginative. And I couldn't bear to watch those poor women having to wear those stoopid uniforms.

They did do a big time update on their menu about about five-seven years ago. Made it bearable as a neutral territory business lunch site. But it still don't really get me wound up in any way. A little too much lowest common denominator type cooking.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
i always ask for extra sause and whatever i dont use i end up chugging

*swiss challet shots* ;)
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb

If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.

Hot deal?

:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!