• Jan 17th, 2018 12:11 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12448 posts
1376 upvotes
Brampton

Swiss law prohibits boiling live lobsters due to pain

I remember I made a thread a few years ago about the inhumane way lobsters are killed. Eventually RFD'ers thought differently, mainly thinking with their stomach's and not their brain's. But there is truth to lobsters suffering in agony from being boiled to death in hot water. So now the Swiss recognize the unnecessary suffering that lobsters have to go thru to die, all due to man kinds greedy selfish needs.

Swiss ban boiling lobsters to death

A new Swiss law that bans the practice of boiling lobsters alive is eliciting more smiles than concern on this side of the Atlantic.

The rules, which come into effect in March, stipulate the lobsters must be stunned before being killed, either by using electricity or the “mechanical destruction” of the brain.

The Swiss legislation comes amid a contentious debate on whether crustaceans such as crabs and lobsters feel pain.

Research published in Northern Ireland in 2013 found they sought to avoid unpleasant situations, suggesting they did indeed experience pain of some kind.

But other experts are less convinced and have pointed out that an invertebrate’s nervous system is much different from that of other animals.

The scientific director of an association for professional lobster fishermen in Quebec’s Gaspesie region points out that lobsters die very quickly when placed in boiling water.

“It’s a bit of a futile debate, because in any case we never eat live animals, be they lobsters or others,” said Jean Cote. “We have to kill them one way or another.”

Cote, a biologist by trade, said the debate that surrounds killing animals for food can become emotional rather than rational.

“If you don’t want to eat meat and if you believe killing an animal is a thing that shouldn’t be done, you’ll never find a good way to kill, whether it’s knocking it out, electrocuting it or boiling it,” he said.

David McMillan, the owner of several prestigious Montreal restaurants including Joe Beef, admits he found the new law a little funny and wondered if it was the result of public pressure after social media videos showing lobsters being boiled alive.

He pointed out that few people would eat lamb if they had to watch it being killed, skinned and cleaned before cooking.

“One of the only animals people see being killed, online and in social media, is lobster,” he said.

McMillan says it’s important to respect everything that is cooked, including “a four-pound lobster that has been on the planet sometimes for as long as the cook preparing it.”

He says he and most of his restaurant colleagues kill lobsters with a knife incision between the eyes followed by a swift blow, killing them instantly.

McMillan suggests other budding chefs could do the same but Cote believes this might be unrealistic to expect from amateur cooks.

Cote also doesn’t believe the new Swiss law will have much of an effect on the eastern Quebec lobster market, since most of their catch is sold to the United States and Asia.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
47 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3917 posts
3444 upvotes
Good.

The biggest scum on the planet are humans.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Adolf Hitler was against boiling lobster for the same reason too... google it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6850 posts
4100 upvotes
Aurora
I read that piercing between the eyes with a knife turns the lights off quickly and permanently so that's what I do prior to any cooking. I do love eating lobsters in any event.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
4923 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
This is what the west will be discussing when the aliens invade and boil us in cauldrons of acid.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2285 posts
1031 upvotes
Alberta
cheapmeister wrote: I remember I made a thread a few years ago about the inhumane way lobsters are killed. Eventually RFD'ers thought differently, mainly thinking with their stomach's and not their brain's. But there is truth to lobsters suffering in agony from being boiled to death in hot water. So now the Swiss recognize the unnecessary suffering that lobsters have to go thru to die, all due to man kinds greedy selfish needs.

Swiss ban boiling lobsters to death
If you ever watched Gordon Ramsey in Masterchef he shows how to cook a lobster. He actually mechanically kills the lobster with his knife before boiling the lobster. Great chef know how inhuman it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14324 posts
9859 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
RIP all you great lobsters!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20027 posts
17896 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya and the Lettuce screams too when you pull it out if the ground... you just don’t hear it
:facepalm:

Truth is the EXTREME Vegetarians want all the Carnavours gone
Without any accountability for their own choices either

Psst... they call it a food chain for a reason

B eats A, C eats B, D eats C etc
Or as the nursery rhyme goes...

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly
She swallowed the fly to catch the spider
She swallowed the spider to catch the bird... etc

As for Lobsters... that’s a personal choice
They are afterall the cockroaches of the marine world (bottom feeders)
And the exact reason they are not kosher
But then neither are pigs... the bottom feeders of the mammal world

Personally, I try to forget all that ... cause well dang it they just taste so darn good
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4606 upvotes
Montréal
Why are ppl having such a big negative reaction to this law? If it indeed causes less pain and is no big inconvience, why not? Heck, there are more sinister things yet to be uncovered/exposed but humans think they are superior and beyond reproach. Just wait till aliens come and boil us tasty hairless monkeys alive, better have no argument there either.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2974 upvotes
you mean I am not supposed to dip the live lobster into boiling water tail first anymore?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2285 posts
1031 upvotes
Alberta
PointsHubby wrote: Ya and the Lettuce screams too when you pull it out if the ground... you just don’t hear it
:facepalm:

Truth is the EXTREME Vegetarians want all the Carnavours gone
Without any accountability for their own choices either

Psst... they call it a food chain for a reason

B eats A, C eats B, D eats C etc
Or as the nursery rhyme goes...

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly
She swallowed the fly to catch the spider
She swallowed the spider to catch the bird... etc

As for Lobsters... that’s a personal choice
They are afterall the cockroaches of the marine world (bottom feeders)
And the exact reason they are not kosher
But then neither are pigs... the bottom feeders of the mammal world

Personally, I try to forget all that ... cause well dang it they just taste so darn good
Nobody is saying Not to eat lobsters. But boiling animals alive is unnecessary. Seasoned hunters know not to let the animals that they shoot/kill suffer.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14324 posts
9859 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
At least we'll put up a good fight.
tranquility922 wrote: Why are ppl having such a big negative reaction to this law? If it indeed causes less pain and is no big inconvience, why not? Heck, there are more sinister things yet to be uncovered/exposed but humans think they are superior and beyond reproach. Just wait till aliens come and boil us tasty hairless monkeys alive, better have no argument there either.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4606 upvotes
Montréal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: At least we'll put up a good fight.
Dude, if they can reach Earth from their homeland, won't be any contest, like a 'god' among insects kinda thing. Don't let ID4 and all those other *fictitious* movies go to your head lol.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20027 posts
17896 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
abc123yyz wrote: Nobody is saying Not to eat lobsters. But boiling animals alive is unnecessary. Seasoned hunters know not to let the animals that they shoot/kill suffer.
Ok... i’ll Just microwave them instead
:rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16375 posts
4906 upvotes
Markham
lobster sashimi
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
4923 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Why are ppl having such a big negative reaction to this law? If it indeed causes less pain and is no big inconvience, why not? Heck, there are more sinister things yet to be uncovered/exposed but humans think they are superior and beyond reproach. Just wait till aliens come and boil us tasty hairless monkeys alive, better have no argument there either.
I for one welcome the aliens overlords.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20885 posts
5201 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I wonder what these law makers think when they watch National Geographic and see a pack of hyenas munching on a still living antelope? Hmm, "let's make it Illegal for other animals to eat each other while still alive! Yeah, that's it!"
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28426 posts
4455 upvotes
Montreal
I'm guessing the lobster fishery in Switzerland is not a profitable venture.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4956 posts
806 upvotes
Calgary
Unbelievable the pansies saying that lobsters must be killed humanely. They are cockroaches of the sea. Boil and eat. Yum.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.