Swiss law prohibits boiling live lobsters due to pain

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 12:11 am
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1664 posts
1492 upvotes
Winnipeg
abc123yyz wrote: Nobody is saying Not to eat lobsters. But boiling animals alive is unnecessary. Seasoned hunters know not to let the animals that they shoot/kill suffer.
+1. Compassion costs us nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1664 posts
1492 upvotes
Winnipeg
abc123yyz wrote: If you ever watched Gordon Ramsey in Masterchef he shows how to cook a lobster. He actually mechanically kills the lobster with his knife before boiling the lobster. Great chef know how inhuman it is.
Nice to have a professional chef demonstrate the humane technique. Not sure why some people find it amusing to torture live animals in their kitchens.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1664 posts
1492 upvotes
Winnipeg
Statistics101 wrote: That's actually true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_we ... zi_Germany

You do learn something from RFD, once in a while.
I'd heard Hitler was an animal lover, but didn't know the extent of it. Absolutely mind numbing that the acts he deplored on animals he put into use against humans (vivisection, slaughterhouses). How does a mind reconcile itself to such hypocrisy?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2293 posts
1051 upvotes
Alberta
KellyM133398 wrote: Nice to have a professional chef demonstrate the humane technique. Not sure why some people find it amusing to torture live animals in their kitchens.
Here is a link. He even says you want to kill the lobster as quickly and humanely as possible.

Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
516 upvotes
badOne wrote: you mean I am not supposed to dip the live lobster into boiling water tail first anymore?
Do you live in Switzerland?
sandikosh wrote: I wonder what these law makers think when they watch National Geographic and see a pack of hyenas munching on a still living antelope? Hmm, "let's make it Illegal for other animals to eat each other while still alive! Yeah, that's it!"
Stating the obvious, but it's called being "inhumane" and not "inhyena" for a reason.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2435 posts
1518 upvotes
London
abc123yyz wrote: If you ever watched Gordon Ramsey in Masterchef he shows how to cook a lobster. He actually mechanically kills the lobster with his knife before boiling the lobster. Great chef know how inhuman it is.
Or. equally likely is he is just going through the politically correct motions just to appease critics and avoid any backlash.
It may or may not accurately reflect his beliefs, or be backed by anything factual.
We see lots of this in other ways in today's society.
Sometimes it's less complicated to just go through the motions.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
KellyM133398 wrote: I'd heard Hitler was an animal lover, but didn't know the extent of it. Absolutely mind numbing that the acts he deplored on animals he put into use against humans (vivisection, slaughterhouses). How does a mind reconcile itself to such hypocrisy?
...because other animals are more deserving of compassion vs humans, and I'm only saying this 1/2 tongue in cheek as we all know that ppl's capacity for cruelty knows no bounds. I always laugh at the term 'inhumane', such a misnomer. To be 'inhumane' would mean more compassionate in the realistic use of that word.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
I don't know if I've ever even eaten lobster in my life! They can't be that different from crabs. Does the law apply to crabs?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1504 upvotes
If we don't know definitively whether they feel pain/suffering or not, it seems harmless to strike or stun them first. From a culinary point of view, it could also be considered preferable to consume an animal that was less stressed for flavor or texture.

I'm not fan of cross-species anatomical arguments as evidence for lack of function. There are multiple instances of variations in physiology and anatomy across various species, yet parallel functions.

After a comparative neuroscience lecture (in either an evolution or physiology course back in ~2005, yes I am dating myself here), I was stunned to read student peers commenting how perhaps birds were incapable of emotion or affection--akin to feathered lizards (poikilotherms)--as they have relatively larger midbrains and smaller cerebrums compared to primates.

This is absolutely untrue in my experience with having parrots as pets, and plenty of anecdotes and observations of birds in the literature, YouTube videos, etc. These were highly educated, smart people, but there seemed to be tunnel vision within their mental framework.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
631 upvotes
We are all part of nature. I don't see the fuss.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3147 posts
252 upvotes
So a lobster can look lose a whole arm in a fight with another lobster or can get eaten alive in nature. But we are worried about how they die in our kitchen?

At the end of the day you are sucking out their brains and eating them. I’m sure they are more abset about that then the way we kill them.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
618 upvotes
Ontario
What about the torture of those lobster tanks and seeing all your friends being hauled away?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21198 posts
10674 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
glad to hear this
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1220 posts
225 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Cough wrote: Unbelievable the pansies saying that lobsters must be killed humanely. They are cockroaches of the sea. Boil and eat. Yum.
we as humans should be ethical and not look down upon other life as something we can do as we please with. all life should be respected.
Apr 6, 2004
458 posts
58 upvotes
abc123yyz wrote: Here is a link. He even says you want to kill the lobster as quickly and humanely as possible.

Great video, but is there any reason for only poaching for 2 minutes instead of cooking completely? Did he ever show how he finishes the lobster after?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1504 upvotes
^ That lobster is really cute... I've never cooked crustacean. I can't look at its eyes wondering if boiling might hurt! Mercy-kill please!

Becks wrote: I don't know if I've ever even eaten lobster in my life! They can't be that different from crabs. Does the law apply to crabs?
They seem to believe in the one-shot kill at the "apron" as they call it:

They do a whole bunch of blue crabs here...
Apr 28, 2014
273 posts
145 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
From the original article: “It’s a bit of a futile debate, because in any case we never eat live animals, be they lobsters or others,” said Jean Cote. “We have to kill them one way or another.”

I found that interesting. I can think of a few cases where this isn't true. Oysters are the obvious.

In any case, from what I've read, it's not true that killing a lobster before boiling impacts the taste in any way, so it's a no-brainer to give them a death that's less unpleasant than being boiled alive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)