Swiss law prohibits boiling live lobsters due to pain

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 12:11 am
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
I really hate those arguments "oh we still need to kill them...So let's torture them! ya!". Failed logic. We're all gonna die too, should we just jump off bridges now and get it over with?

Let's try to make things better if we can, esp if it doesn't take much effort. The misguided arrogance of humans.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
188 upvotes
peanutz wrote: ^ That lobster is really cute... I've never cooked crustacean. I can't look at its eyes wondering if boiling might hurt! Mercy-kill please!

They seem to believe in the one-shot kill at the "apron" as they call it:

They do a whole bunch of blue crabs here...
Poor crabs :(
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1383 posts
863 upvotes
I really have no opinion on this Swiss law, but the Swiss don't eat many lobsters, and sure why not stick a sharp knife into them first.

But for the curious, just saw in the Toronto Star, a reprint of a Sunday article from the Washington Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... r-why.html

Main point from the article, is that while there will always be a minority that do not agree, most scientists and researchers agree that Lobsters don't have the ability to "process pain".

Here's one excerpt:
But because lobsters do not have the neural pathways that mammals have and use in pain response, Shields said he does not believe lobsters feel pain.

According to an explainer from the Lobster Institute, a research and educational organization, lobsters have a primitive nervous system, akin to an insect, such as a grasshopper. “Neither insects nor lobsters have brains,” according to the institute. “For an organism to perceive pain, it must have a complex nervous system. Neurophysiologists tell us that lobsters, like insects, do not process pain.”
Last edited by multimut on Jan 16th, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2164 posts
1052 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Never in my life have I eaten a lobster, crab, etc. I do agree that boiling a living creature is inhumane.

Reminds me of some random videos of people in countries in Asia that eat dogs. It's a cultural thing, we here would never dare boil a live dog because dogs have a different meaning to us. However, the meaning of a dog is completely different when u look at other countries who consume dog meat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6925 posts
4199 upvotes
Between Countries
flyingnurse wrote: Never in my life have I eaten a lobster, crab, etc. I do agree that boiling a living creature is inhumane.

Reminds me of some random videos of people in countries in Asia that eat dogs. It's a cultural thing, we here would never dare boil a live dog because dogs have a different meaning to us. However, the meaning of a dog is completely different when u look at other countries who consume dog meat.
Are you bloody serious- they boil dogs alive?? Dogs are mammals. They have a brains and can feel everything a human can. I would never consider boiling alive anything proven to feel as I do - not even a mouse. Like I said above, I'll give lobsters the benefit of doubt and dispatch them between the eyes before any cooking. Jesus, boiling mammals alive is pretty sickening; and I don't care whatever different culture anyone comes from.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6411 posts
2498 upvotes
Montreal
DiceMan wrote: Are you bloody serious- they boil dogs alive?? Dogs are mammals. They have a brains and can feel everything a human can. I would never consider boiling alive anything proven to feel as I do - not even a mouse. Like I said above, I'll give lobsters the benefit of doubt and dispatch them between the eyes before any cooking. Jesus, boiling mammals alive is pretty sickening; and I don't care whatever different culture anyone comes from.
They don't boil dogs alive in Asia.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Are you bloody serious- they boil dogs alive?? Dogs are mammals. They have a brains and can feel everything a human can. I would never consider boiling alive anything proven to feel as I do - not even a mouse. Like I said above, I'll give lobsters the benefit of doubt and dispatch them between the eyes before any cooking. Jesus, boiling mammals alive is pretty sickening; and I don't care whatever different culture anyone comes from.
They do NOT boil dogs alive. It wouldn't remove the hair well without overly cooking the meat. So they use a flame from a portable propane tank to burn alive the dog and by the time it's done the hair is singed off. I sht you not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)