Shopping Discussion

Switch between Amazon.com to Amazon.ca

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 2:40 am
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 20, 2015
1 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON

Switch between Amazon.com to Amazon.ca

I always see products on Amazon.com that I need to find on Amazon.ca and vice versa. It is really annoying to have to copy the product names from each site and search for them on the other site, especially since the product names are often different on the two sites despite being the same product.

I have searched endlessly for a browser extension or add-on that will allow me to find the same product on the other site, as well as other features that would be great like currency converter, shipping times, etc.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks so much
7 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
if u have the product up on amazon.com. if u change the .com in the url to .ca but leave everything else alot of times it will bring to the the same product on the .ca site.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2681 posts
1691 upvotes
Toronto, ON
product name in amazon is meaningless. there's always a product code in the url, just search for that it should work. even simpler is what aaran158 said
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20079 posts
4620 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ephroth wrote: I always see products on Amazon.com that I need to find on Amazon.ca and vice versa. It is really annoying to have to copy the product names from each site and search for them on the other site, especially since the product names are often different on the two sites despite being the same product.

I have searched endlessly for a browser extension or add-on that will allow me to find the same product on the other site, as well as other features that would be great like currency converter, shipping times, etc.

Anyone have any ideas??
This is extremely easy to solve. You need to search direct by the catalogue number. Amazon's catalogue number is known as "ASIN", and it always starts with a letter B. You can search for that on each product page.
Copy & paste the ASIN and search it on other amazon sites. Easy.

Note that in a few cases, the same item will exist on both sites, but with different ASIN. I don't know why this is. The ASIN number method is the most accurate method, almost always.

Example image of ASIN:
Image

Interestingly, you can sometimes save some money on newly listed products by using the ASIN search method. When a new product comes to amazon.ca, it is often priced at a direct USD conversion from amazon.com, instead of the real Canadian MSRP. The switchover to the more expensive Canadian MSRP happens after a few days. But something with their search engine often prevents you from finding products priced in USD equivalent. But if you are fast, you can use the ASIN method to grab these 'direct USD conversion' prices, and get some nice deals. I saved a lot of money this way back when I bought a lot of anime DVDs. And I even got the new Jabra Elite 75t earbuds for $35 below Canadian MSRP through this method.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13007 posts
2288 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The ASIN is in the URL, so just change the .ca/.com/etc., as someone else mentioned.

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SBQMCX/
- the underlined part of the URL that describes the item can be deleted (but not necesssary)
- bolded part is the ASIN
- there's usually a bunch of other crap after the ASIN that I've deleted already

to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBQMCX/
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20079 posts
4620 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
rabbit wrote: The ASIN is in the URL, so just change the .ca/.com/etc., as someone else mentioned.

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SBQMCX/
- the underlined part of the URL that describes the item can be deleted (but not necesssary)
- bolded part is the ASIN
- there's usually a bunch of other crap after the ASIN that I've deleted already

to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBQMCX/
A valid approach. Works well on PC, but it might be too cumbersome for the many people who shop on mobile. It's also impossible to do this in the mobile app.
- casual gastronomist -
Newbie
Mar 6, 2011
47 posts
24 upvotes
CAN
The above suggestions work only if the product shares the same ASIN and sold between the two marketplaces. 95% of the time that won't be a problem especially if the item is a brand name product and is sold and shipped by Amazon. However, if the item is sold by a third-party seller you might encounter some nuances where you can't search for same ASIN on the alternate marketplace
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13007 posts
2288 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Jucius Maximus wrote: A valid approach. Works well on PC, but it might be too cumbersome for the many people who shop on mobile. It's also impossible to do this in the mobile app.
Ah, right. Forgot about mobile devices, although editing a few letters in the URL on a browser shouldn't be any more difficult than copy/pasting the ASIN.

Good to know that you wouldn't be able to do this in the mobile app (limited functionality is one reason I avoid specialized apps), but I wouldn't imagine that it's convenient to switch countries in the app.

Top