Automotive

Switch insurance from TD Meloche Monnex to Allstate?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2015 3:21 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2005
93 posts
17 upvotes
Bedford

Switch insurance from TD Meloche Monnex to Allstate?

I am currently with TDMM, just got my renewal notice and the premium has increased so I called Allstate to get a quote.

I can save $130 per year (Auto + Home) if I switch to Allstate. But I am not familiar with Allstate. Anyone has any experience with them? Is it worth it to switch for only $130 saving a year?

Thanks. :)
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27787 posts
12852 upvotes
Toronto
Ask Allstate if the car is in an accident, will OEM parts be installed ? If they say the policy holder has no say, then you know what headache you may be dealing with down the road, esp. if your car is very new or if the car is leased, the leasing company may want the car be repaired with OEM parts such that you are to pay the extra $ to have that done properly.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18394 posts
2210 upvotes
Woodbridge
I switched for $30 a year. LOL

It was just car insurance though. It's only been four months though but then again isn't it all about just having the pink slip.

Switch.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Apr 8, 2009
692 posts
21 upvotes
If you can save money then do it. There is absolutely NO NEED to be loyal to an insurance company.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1779 posts
384 upvotes
Exactly. And know that the insurance company can drop you at any point (and they will if they see any need), loyalty isn't rewarded. I will probably shop around every year for the cheapest insurance, especially if my current rates are going up with my current company.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2005
93 posts
17 upvotes
Bedford
Thanks! I did shop around and Allstates is the best deal in town. I think I will switch then.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
nope, never assume... I wrote 3 ppl this week who were with them with a cheaper rate with another company..
napoleon1769 wrote: I thought TD was always the cheapest?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6932 posts
3242 upvotes
Montreal
napoleon1769 wrote: I thought TD was always the cheapest?
In Quebec, TD asked me for about double more compared to a local promutuel insurance company.... never assume a company will always be cheaper.

You must shop depending of your car(s), and depending if you insure your home/condo/appartment with the same insurer.

You cannot assume.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
Switch insurance companies every year... no such thing as loyalty especially since insurance companies don't hesitate to increase your premium even if you didn't get any claims or convictions....
Nov 29, 2006
996 posts
82 upvotes
funny enough I actually switched to TDMM last week. Found they had the cheapest rates around. Saved over 400/year.

Did TD give you any reason why your rates went up? Did you have any claims?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
same for any company, depending on your spec's whats lower for one isn't necessarily for another

TD wayyyy more than what I'm paying with another company...(and no i get no discounts for being a Broker)
The Master wrote: funny enough I actually switched to TDMM last week. Found they had the cheapest rates around. Saved over 400/year.

Did TD give you any reason why your rates went up? Did you have any claims?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2305 posts
802 upvotes
Woodbridge
When it comes to claims TD wins hands down . I wish TD was in business for commercial vehicles as well .
Once you deal with other companies claim department , than you realize that few extra dollors are well worth of service you get .

Funny though that TD was cheapest when I was a new driver . Now having a clean record and long experience there are other companies offering far better rates .
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15693 posts
4739 upvotes
London
newlyborn wrote: .....
Funny though that TD was cheapest when I was a new driver . Now having a clean record and long experience there are other companies offering far better rates .
I don't think people realize there are 3 different/separate TD insurance companies and when you are on the TD website getting an online quote, it matters how you fill out the 'eligible for preferred rate?' question. The web page looks exactly the same except the name at the very bottom of the page changes.

There is TD Primmum, TD Home and Auto; and TDMM/Security National.

TDMM does group rate only and is hence cheaper. If you don't qualify for group rate, you get quoted from the other two TD companies which accept anyone and are more expensive

For me, there is over a $600 a year difference per vehicle between TD Primmum and TDMM.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5521 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
i'm with chieftan and for no reason they will raise my premium $30 a month in 2 months, i just did an online quote with td and they are $70 cheaper per month, anyone know how accurate their online quotes are?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A