• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 10:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
193 posts
138 upvotes
SW Ontario

Switch from Kentucky Blue to what Grass ..? Pic

Sick of this routine year after year , over-seeding , grub killing etc etc . Come weather like this grass turns in to this unbearable sight , have south facing house and this portion in picture takes direct burning sun whole day .
Have sprinkler system set on a liberal watering early mornings and sometimes evening ,frequently fertilizing too ,had i taken a pic month back all looked Golf course like ,but in Aug it becomes like this every year .
Can I try some other stuff like Turf type tall fescue, or something else which will work in my situation, live in south western Ontario ..?Tx
Images
  • F2E9FACC-21D6-459E-9377-26D88946BB83.jpeg
Last edited by Mastero on Sep 1st, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60 replies
Mar 14, 2018
485 posts
490 upvotes
install a sprinkler system to water, water, and water.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
Mastero wrote: Sick of this routine year after year , over-seeding , grub killing etc etc . Come weather like this grass turns in to this unbearable sight , have south facing house and this portion in picture takes direct burning sun whole day .
Can I try some other stuff like Turf type tall fescue, or something else which will work in my situation,live in south western Ontario ..?Tx
How about clovers? Or a clover/grass mix?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17795 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Want the look of a perfectly manicured lawn you only have a few choices …

1- Time. Which means continuing on the road you are now

2- Money. Pay someone else to do all the work for you.

3- Alternatives …

(a) Ground cover. Although the biggest problem with most of these … clover included … is they are invasive spreaders. Your neighbours are gonna hate you

(b) Naturalize it. Think no grass, just shrubs and flowering plants … like a meadow

(c) Rip it all out … and install stones, pebbles, river rock. Although some jurisdictions count this as hard surfacing … so not allowed. Consult your local bylaws

(d) Artificial turf. Not cheap, but the latest incarnations look good & wear well.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22068 posts
8464 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Less mowing, less headache.
I say keep it as is and screw what other people think of you. And nuke the over-seeding and grub killing.

Or you could go the China route and do what they did during the Olympics, paint it green.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1737 posts
1922 upvotes
West GTA
If you want low maintenance, could try one of the 'eco lawn' blends, which are intended to be infrequent mowing, fertilizer and water once established. Haven't used personally. Other option is tall fescue, which is somewhat better with heat and drought (bluegrass is a baby about it). Or can try a mixed lawn with clover, though clover does have its own issues. Could also try creeping thyme, but issue is that it can't handle much foot traffic. Or mulch it and plants something else, or use a wildflower mix if it's allowed. Some cities provide native seedlings for free if you want to convert.
Sep 30, 2010
95 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
do you water? My KGB isnt looking that bad after all the heat we've had
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4252 posts
4431 upvotes
I water twice a day, and my entire lot takes 5 hours to water end to end. (sprinklers)

I only have KBG on my lawn, and it's greener than golf grass (though cut at 3")
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2797 posts
1161 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow 5hrs. .. mine daily waters at 5am(unless rain sensor trips)... but its only 1.5hrs to do the 6zones. (Approx 20min each) ... whats your water bill like.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4252 posts
4431 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: Wow 5hrs. .. mine daily waters at 5am(unless rain sensor trips)... but its only 1.5hrs to do the 6zones. (Approx 20min each) ... whats your water bill like.
I don't think about it ($400/month or so). I live in the country with over an acre of land.

Took a photo:
20210901_171216.jpg
In 100% of cases, homeowners blame the grass. It isn't the grass. When I started this growing season, half of my lawn was dead, and the other was yellow.

Watering heavily, fertilizing heavily, and using tenacity to get rid of crabgrass helped tremendously. (as was manual labour with pulling some other leaves). Fiesta helped too, but next year i'm putting down a pre-emergent.

I had no idea what grass growing even entailed at the beginning of 2021, FWIW.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17795 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
angryaudifanatic wrote: I don't think about it ($400/month or so). I live in the country with over an acre of land.

Took a photo:

20210901_171216.jpg

In 100% of cases, homeowners blame the grass. It isn't the grass. When I started this growing season, half of my lawn was dead, and the other was yellow.

Watering heavily, fertilizing heavily, and using tenacity to get rid of crabgrass helped tremendously. (as was manual labour with pulling some other leaves). Fiesta helped too, but next year i'm putting down a pre-emergent.

I had no idea what grass growing even entailed at the beginning of 2021, FWIW.
Nice pic

Yup putt perfect (except for the length )

I’d be GREEN with envy if I lived next door
⛳️
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4252 posts
4431 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Nice pic

Yup putt perfect (except for the length )

I’d be GREEN with envy if I lived next door
⛳️
I was triggered earlier this year because a bunch of men my age were playing 'who has the best lawn' war. Spent a lot of time on this lawn and spent a lot of time learning.

My neighbours lawn is mostly dead (no sprinkler system). I kid you not though, I had the worst lawn in this neighbourhood at the beginning of 2021.

I had a bone to pick with the men and am pleased with the results :)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1750 posts
835 upvotes
GTA
@angryaudifanatic that lawn pic is epic. Jealous. ANY lawn can be like that with enough time/effort/watering - it's just how much you want it.

To the OP, welcome to the lawn game, I've gone through this so many times with my old place - spring is awesome, summer it gets roasted and there's no redemption because I let it go for a week and it went downhill and there was no recovery.

Here's my front lawn from my old place in 2019.

May 31, 2019
May 31-2019.jpg

Aug 30, 2019
Aug 30-2019.jpg

Sep 30, 2019
Sep 30-2019.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2003 posts
1107 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
I was triggered earlier this year because a bunch of men my age were playing 'who has the best lawn' war. Spent a lot of time on this lawn and spent a lot of time learning.

My neighbours lawn is mostly dead (no sprinkler system). I kid you not though, I had the worst lawn in this neighbourhood at the beginning of 2021.

I had a bone to pick with the men and am pleased with the results :)
The best lawn wins the longest dick award.

#truth.

Unfortunately I share mine on and this idiot likes cutting down to an inch to probably match his penis length. The guy doesnt know what photosynthesis is. Fortunately my backyard is like a carpet and keep it that way, he's probably dying inside seeing it when he peaks from his kitchen window.
Mar 14, 2018
485 posts
490 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: The best lawn wins the longest dick award.

#truth.

Unfortunately I share mine on and this idiot likes cutting down to an inch to probably match his penis length. The guy doesnt know what photosynthesis is. Fortunately my backyard is like a carpet and keep it that way, he's probably dying inside seeing it when he peaks from his kitchen window.
Hilarious... so you are implying that he's dying to see inside your pants. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5105 posts
4043 upvotes
clutch31 wrote: install a sprinkler system to water, water, and water.
Bad advice! Grass is meant to dormant in summer OP. It's not grubs. It's incredible the number of people who don't understand this.

Green, weed-free lawns are unnatural i.e., goes against nature. It will turn green once it starts raining again. Please don't waste precious water on regularly water lawns during heat waves, it's very irresponsible and unsustainable. Either accept this fact or get rid if your lawn. I replaced mine with a perennial garden.
angryaudifanatic wrote: I water twice a day, and my entire lot takes 5 hours to water end to end. (sprinklers)

I only have KBG on my lawn, and it's greener than golf grass (though cut at 3")
I wouldn't be bragging about...just horrible to waste so much water.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2003 posts
1107 upvotes
clutch31 wrote:
Hilarious... so you are implying that he's dying to see inside your pants. Face With Tears Of Joy
100%

Anyway, I have a plan of separating our lawns one day and fix it - that serves as my finishing move ala Mortal Kombat Fatality. He'll be pissed off every single day of his living life whenever he steps out the door.

To OP, Id try my best to maintain this IF YOU ONLY have time. The others have said it: you need a ton of time and dedication.
May 5, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: @angryaudifanatic that lawn pic is epic. Jealous. ANY lawn can be like that with enough time/effort/watering - it's just how much you want it.

To the OP, welcome to the lawn game, I've gone through this so many times with my old place - spring is awesome, summer it gets roasted and there's no redemption because I let it go for a week and it went downhill and there was no recovery.

Here's my front lawn from my old place in 2019.

May 31, 2019
May 31-2019.jpg

Aug 30, 2019
Aug 30-2019.jpg

Sep 30, 2019
Sep 30-2019.jpg
My lawn looks like your Aug pic. How do I get it to the Sept pic? Rake out the dead grass and reseed?
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
bluejaysdeal wrote: My lawn looks like your Aug pic. How do I get it to the Sept pic? Rake out the dead grass and reseed?
Wait until Sept 30? Today's only the second (3 days after Aug 30)