Ongoing Deal Discussion

Switch Super Mario 3D All-Stars Pre-order (limited run) - $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 4:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4416 posts
1779 upvotes
the problem with this "rare collectible" is that how do you know when it is the right time to sell it? unless you're strapped for cash at that moment, you'll keep trying to hold onto it until you die lol
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1288 posts
300 upvotes
Brandino wrote: For those questioning if these will re-sell for a great price down the road. Recently I've been trying to recollect many of my games from my youth (Super Nintendo and Gamecube) and I can vouch that even opened copies of games that did sell millions in quantity go for 100 dollars no problem. Sealed copies are usually 200 - 300. While you won't make a fortune if you keep the copy sealed it will easily sell for $200 down the road. Older Nintendo games really hold in value. My old opened copy of Mario Sunshine goes for 80 - 100 alone.

I pre ordered 2 copies, 1 to play and the other to keep around for my collection.
Even back in Gamecube days, people collecting videogames was very uncommon and mostly in it’s infancy.
Now, today.. there are 10’s of thousands and maybe 100’s of thousands of ppl who collect videogames.

People today buy new games for the express purpose of saving them for future sales. Not that many really did that back then, which is why sealed ones are much more uncommon today from that era.
Everyone is doing that now. So while it may gain some value after 6 or 7 or 10 or 20 years.. many ppl are also doing that now, so there will be many more sealed games saved/available, so the return is likely to be much more subdued, than when collecting wasn’t “a thing”

Also, when you paid $59.99 plus tax for Sunshine way back then... you paid around 70 dollars then. Now your opened/mint one got you 80-100 bucks. So for hanging onto something for almost 20 years, you made maybe $30. I mean, yeah... I guess it’s something. But a craptonne of ppl now play the “buy and stash to sell later” game. The market is super saturated with resellers and dudes who just scoop stuff up to sell on eBay etc.

I think if you bought one of these and kept it sealed, maybe you’d get a little over $100 in 5+ years. Maybe. But then, there is also the risk of it being re-released on whatever the current console is, and the value dropping.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2165 posts
870 upvotes
Montreal, QC
broc wrote: I think if you bought one of these and kept it sealed, maybe you’d get a little over $100 in 5+ years. Maybe. But then, there is also the risk of it being re-released on whatever the current console is, and the value dropping.
i think that will depend on if we make the full move towards digital only then the far and few physical games will have higher value
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1203 posts
157 upvotes
This is the cheapest way to legally play Sunshine. Used open discs are $80-$100 plus you need a GC.

And yes, piracy is a 'better deal'. But if "I can pirate this for free" is a reason something is not a hot deal then not a single piece of media or video game could ever be posted in Hot Deals.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2352 posts
141 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pre-ordered mine 2 days ago from Best Buy!!

Now debating if I should pre-order Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch) now or not since the Release Date is February 12, 2021
Oct 16, 2018
77 posts
81 upvotes
BranCracker wrote: The remasters of today are a bit more resource intensive and costly than in 1993.

If they went to that level, they'd be charging $60 a piece
You mean $80 apiece... This is Nintendo after all Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1747 posts
2604 upvotes
win-star wrote: Now debating if I should pre-order Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch) now or not since the Release Date is February 12, 2021
It's not limited run. You can just pick it up anywhere when released. That one should be an easy buy at SDM with 20x bonus points or redeem points.
Oct 16, 2018
77 posts
81 upvotes
jetfire33 wrote: This is the cheapest way to legally play Sunshine. Used open discs are $80-$100 plus you need a GC.

And yes, piracy is a 'better deal'. But if "I can pirate this for free" is a reason something is not a hot deal then not a single piece of media or video game could ever be posted in Hot Deals.
I think the argument is less "piracy is a better deal" and more "emulation communities have created a better 'remaster' of these games than the official one".
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1736 posts
1501 upvotes
win-star wrote: Pre-ordered mine 2 days ago from Best Buy!!

Now debating if I should pre-order Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch) now or not since the Release Date is February 12, 2021
I did on amazon. give me 5 months to think about it
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3665 posts
3249 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
minimumtumbleweed wrote: I think the argument is less "piracy is a better deal" and more "emulation communities have created a better 'remaster' of these games than the official one".
I mean hell it feels like they put more effort into Super Mario 64 DS than they did this one lol.
Mar 25, 2012
123 posts
203 upvotes
NB
minimumtumbleweed wrote: I think the argument is less "piracy is a better deal" and more "emulation communities have created a better 'remaster' of these games than the official one".
Yeah, for Mario 64, there are multiplayer versions, randomizers, even cool Twitch plugins where you can donate to a streamer and impact their game. And literally thousands of "hacks" where people make custom levels. The Mario 64 emulation community is amazing!

When the Mario 64 footage started on the Direct, I naively got excited thinking it was a multiplayer port, but nah, just regular ol' Mario 64.

I'm still going to get it and am not complaining because I loved the original All Stars. But the emulation community is way more than "piracy". (Plus, like, pretty much everyone *does* legally own Mario 64 already. Almost no one is downloading a Mario 64 rom to "steal it". They're downloading it to play community custom creations or to stream it easily.)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1203 posts
157 upvotes
I'm into emulators too and I can actually pretty legally own a rom of Sunshine as I have my original disc right here.

The emulation community has done amazing things with Mario 64 but don't forget Nintendo would face an IP nightmare trying to sell anything taken from the emulation community (I don't know what Sony was thinking with theirs). Often open source contains licenses (and licenses within licenses that refer to other licenses) that can comprimise a company's own IP (eg any company releasing a product using that open source license agrees to open source and/or renounce protections, etc).

Much like trying to rerelease Goldeneye it can be done easily technically speaking, but legally it's a minefield.

I'm not saying they're right, just that releasing something from the emulation community might be an IP nightmare for Nintendo (or at least their internal IP lawyers said so). So realistically Nintendo would have had to spend the money to re-make all the improvements themselves.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3301 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
phumanchu3xgb wrote: I hope EB does a trade 2 for this
It's a $79.99 game, they will do trade 3. Trade 2 is a pipe dream unfortunately