Switch Super Mario 3D All-Stars Pre-order (limited run) - $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 10:06 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1891 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Not happy with some of the early reports, but I am interested in playing Sunshine and Galaxy after a long time.

I guess I could always sell my used physical copy once done.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3398 posts
3059 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
cloak wrote: Disappointing but I'm guessing the hackers will have a field day with native emulators on a cartridge on the Switch.
Maybe, maybe not. N64 may be fine but there's a pretty good chance there's a lot of stuff specifically related to getting Sunshine/Galaxy to run that isn't relevant to any other game.
orbitdesign wrote: Looks like Galaxy was recompiled for the Switch but the other two are emulated.
Galaxy partially runs natively.

Also apparently they only started working on this in February/March of this year lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1731 posts
905 upvotes
Cambridge
It's nice to see they really care about the 35th Anniversary of their main IP :/
Sep 4, 2017
192 posts
209 upvotes
After much consideration I've decided to downvote this post. Nintendo really didn't put in enough effort for its $80 price tag. While the games themselves are great, it's essentially just three decades old ROMs packaged with emulators, (which I believe are also only slightly changed from the Wii U emulators they're based on,) and very few texture/asset updates. This combined with their "limited release" marketing really reeks of a quick cash grab.

Compared to the NES/SNES Classic systems which came with many more games and actual hardware, this isn't a good deal. Compared to the Super Mario 64 project which reverse engineered the game's source code to make a much better version of the game playable on platforms like PC (and even a hacked Switch), this is much less effort.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1185 posts
319 upvotes
KANATA
superchuko wrote: After much consideration I've decided to downvote this post. Nintendo really didn't put in enough effort for its $80 price tag. While the games themselves are great, it's essentially just three decades old ROMs packaged with emulators, (which I believe are also only slightly changed from the Wii U emulators they're based on,) and very few texture/asset updates. This combined with their "limited release" marketing really reeks of a quick cash grab.

Compared to the NES/SNES Classic systems which came with many more games and actual hardware, this isn't a good deal. Compared to the Super Mario 64 project which reverse engineered the game's source code to make a much better version of the game playable on platforms like PC (and even a hacked Switch), this is much less effort.
You're not wrong.

I'm only getting it because my boys are all about Mario despite the switch being their first Nintendo system. They haven't had the opportunity to hitup these older games before. Low effort, absolutely.
derpin
Sep 19, 2019
55 posts
65 upvotes
Just got a call from my local EB Games to schedule a pick up time for Friday. (preordered online)

It seems like there won't be any shortage.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6424 posts
2688 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I don't understand why people complain about the price. It would cost way more than $80 to get myself a N64, Gamecube and Wii with those 3 games... especially at the price people are asking for these games lately....

Still won't stop me from buying it. I could easily spend $80 on alcohol and cigarettes but lucky me I don't smoke or drink :)
Mar 15, 2010
902 posts
1290 upvotes
Toronto
nounou23 wrote: I don't understand why people complain about the price. It would cost way more than $80 to get myself a N64, Gamecube and Wii with those 3 games... especially at the price people are asking for these games lately....

Still won't stop me from buying it. I could easily spend $80 on alcohol and cigarettes but lucky me I don't smoke or drink :)
The pissoff is how other companies will recycle games but usually can be had for $29.99 or less. Take TLOU remastered on PS4. I picked it up for $6 on sale a year later. Nintendo never drops their prices and those games are based off older inferior technology. Sure theyre fun ive played them all, but to me id never drop $80 for a revamped game. But to eachctheir own. Clearly there is a market for Nintendo to keep doing this
Dec 8, 2009
429 posts
177 upvotes
Edmonton
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: The pissoff is how other companies will recycle games but usually can be had for $29.99 or less. Take TLOU remastered on PS4. I picked it up for $6 on sale a year later. Nintendo never drops their prices and those games are based off older inferior technology. Sure theyre fun ive played them all, but to me id never drop $80 for a revamped game. But to eachctheir own. Clearly there is a market for Nintendo to keep doing this
I always buy my switch games from Shoppers drug mart. Combining bonus redemption + 20x points it usually works out to ~$48 tax in per game. Once I finish it I usually sell it for ~$60 so I actually make a profit by buying switch games =)
Sep 4, 2017
192 posts
209 upvotes
nounou23 wrote: I don't understand why people complain about the price. It would cost way more than $80 to get myself a N64, Gamecube and Wii with those 3 games... especially at the price people are asking for these games lately....

What does the price of original hardware and cartridges/discs have to do with anything? These games are just running under emulation on the Switch, and you can play them on anything that can run an N64 emulator or Dolphin. In fact, you can also play the PC port of Super Mario 64, which is much better than the version in Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6424 posts
2688 upvotes
Moncton, NB
superchuko wrote: What does the price of original hardware and cartridges/discs have to do with anything? These games are just running under emulation on the Switch, and you can play them on anything that can run an N64 emulator or Dolphin. In fact, you can also play the PC port of Super Mario 64, which is much better than the version in Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be.
But again I still need to get the PC to run it, a controller etc...

I was just pointing out that I don't think the price is that bad.

If the game is not for you and you aren't interested just don't buy it :)
Dec 11, 2003
947 posts
243 upvotes
Montreal
Well the problem is, if Nintendo keeps getting away with stuff like this, then they'll keep doing it.

80$ for three emulated games is outrageous and indefensible.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Jan 26, 2018
832 posts
445 upvotes
when it says coming out on the 18th Sep, and there is already dumped xci/nsp all over Reddit, how they managed to do that?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3146 posts
2954 upvotes
Alberta
keshan wrote: when it says coming out on the 18th Sep, and there is already dumped xci/nsp all over Reddit, how they managed to do that?
That is typical for nearly every major release...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

kimwoobingsu