Ongoing Deal Discussion

Switch Super Mario 3D All-Stars Pre-order (limited run) - $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 4:47 pm
Feb 20, 2019
39 posts
65 upvotes
gldentiger wrote: Growing up I had an N64, GameCube and Wii yet never played any of these 3 games oddly enough..

Got a Switch and fell in love with Odyssey right away. Going back and playing these retro games for the first time is a ton of fun.

Ignore the haters in here. Some may not see any value in this but I love the convenience and it looks great on the Switch!
Same scenario here! Except I think I was just too young to appreciate and beat sm64, sunshine. Never got to finish Galaxy. Playing Odyssey now was a blast
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2141 posts
844 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anyone in Montréal, game is available at Pharmaprix le Village. About 10 copies left I think. It's in their drawer, not on display. Also, about 5 copies of Papier Mario left
Feb 14, 2019
891 posts
854 upvotes
GEESUN wrote: Looks like Rodrigo in Mississauga thinks he can sell this abundantly available game for double the price...
You'd think that if someone spent the time looking for this on Kijiji then they would at least take a few minutes to check Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc. I saw at least two dozen at Walmart yesterday.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2141 posts
844 upvotes
Montreal, QC
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

Well, I went to at least 8 Phramaprix around my area, they didn't even get one copy. One store received it, but sold out yesterday...

Ju Leon...
Try the one in Le Village next to Place Dupuis. I just went today, it's hidden in their drawer
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3406 posts
1312 upvotes
Grimsby
What an odd series of events to purchase this game.

Pre-ordered at Amazon and Best Buy.

Friday I was able to cancel my amazon order as it hadn’t yet shipped.
Best Buy order was sitting in limbo
Went to walmart to an empty electronics section and they had what seemed like a few boxes full of the game available.

Today while out, I stopped by a local SDM, and they too had full stock of the game, and with 20X the points it seems like the best way to get the game. Going to return the Best Buy and Walmart copies I have.
Jun 18, 2010
167 posts
113 upvotes
Wait! Nintendo releasing decades old games in emulation for $80 in a "Limited run" to create artificial scarcity?

Colour me surprised.
“I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffet
Feb 28, 2005
315 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal
Hey, does anyone know if residents of Québec can get the pins from the missions?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1263 posts
286 upvotes
Ottawa
Had to run around Friday and Saturday to find a copy in at an SMD in Ottawa. Got it at Bank and Heron last night. The stores that have decent game selection (i.e. Westgate) said they would be getting it at some point.

It is a good deal with bonus points/redemption, but the collection is not for everyone.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1694 posts
2542 upvotes
Majokito wrote: Because you only have to do 5 to get the pins. I'm just doing them all for completeness. :)
I'm just going to stick with 5 of 6 for the pin set.

I installed Mario Kart Tour, played for about 15 minutes. I hate it! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes The controls suck and it just doesn't play at all like a decent Mario Kart game...
Nov 11, 2015
290 posts
217 upvotes
You do realize that they will probably charge shipping for the pins. The recent physical rewards from redeeming platinum points that was only offered in the US, still charged $5 US for shipping. It would probably be even more than that in Canada.
Feb 28, 2005
315 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal
dealswithit wrote: You do realize that they will probably charge shipping for the pins. The recent physical rewards from redeeming platinum points that was only offered in the US, still charged $5 US for shipping. It would probably be even more than that in Canada.
These pins look dope, I’m happy to pay for shipping. Why should Nintendo send them for free?
Sep 9, 2015
826 posts
477 upvotes
Nanaimo
chatted with amazon to complain and got a $10 credit. I ended up getting my shipment on saturday, even though it said between tuesday and thursday.
Jun 12, 2010
110 posts
252 upvotes
ZooLoo wrote: These pins look dope, I’m happy to pay for shipping. Why should Nintendo send them for free?
I mean... it does require the purchase of a $80 game and is limited stock? I don't really care either way, but it's not really free.
Nov 24, 2019
28 posts
7 upvotes
S0lidus wrote: chatted with amazon to complain and got a $10 credit. I ended up getting my shipment on saturday, even though it said between tuesday and thursday.
Dang, I am in the same boat. I got it yesterday. But can I complain since I have prime and didnt get it on release day?
Jun 12, 2010
110 posts
252 upvotes
while[1];do;done wrote:
I’m not the original person who you’re responding to and not defending anyone. Just wanted to say teams of developers who slave hours upon hours build games. These developers need people to buy games to pay their salaries.

So, it’s far from free. In fact, if everyone just pirated, developers won’t be paid and no games would be made. Picture it this way. If you worked day in and day out in your job for months to years and then not getting paid for your work. That is the same as you believing that pirating is fine.

I’m not arguing about this game and how much effort / money Nintendo has put into these ports but pirating in general. Games don’t write themselves.
+1, a fellow coder who understands that code doesn't magically manifest from thin air and costs $0 to produce...
willy0275 wrote:
So if by your logic pirating stuff is not stealing, it means it's legal, right? I wonder why people bother with VPNs when torrenting... Irony aside, there's the concept of stealing intellectual property, it's a real concept and it's called stealing.
The guy deleted his response, maybe it finally sunk in. Some of these less observant people seem to think that just because there's virtually no cost in reproducing a digital copy, that somehow there is also zero cost in producing the software to begin with.

The whole "it's just an emulation" argument misses several points. Those games are still Nintendo's IP and they still invested resources at one point. They wrote the emulator, they designed the console, they still had to rework textures, upscale parts of the game, rework the motion controls for Galaxy, fix parts of Sunshine, etc.

The pirating mindset is even worse. The games are just being subsidized by people who actually buy the games for those who steal them. Why even buy a N64, GCN, WiiU, Switch, when you can just emulate the platform altogether? Do these people donate to the devs of those projects, since they put hard work into them? Guaranteed they don't, they probably think these projects just come out of thin air to bless these people with free games, while the people writing the emulators themselves typically do buy the games.
GP Legend wrote: Oh, this ridiculous excuse, again. The publishers pay their salaries, not us. Any game we buy, the developers won't see the profits from it, the CEOs and executives do. Buying these games won't make the developers stop slaving over them. So many of these big publishers abuse game developers and treat them like slaves, and buying these games just continues the cycle, not make it better. Maybe Nintendo themselves treat their developers properly, but so many publishers don't.
So... who publishes Nintendo's games?

You also understand that if games don't perform according to projected sales, people get laid off and studios shut down? Ever heard of Radical? Do you want to guess why they shut down? How about United Front Games? PopCap Vancouver? Capcom? You know how many people lost their jobs to layoffs or office closures?

What you're saying about overpaid executives and mistreated developers is true for virtually every industry, not just games. You know that whole 1% movement? Do you think people working at McDonalds or Walmart are making a fair share of profits compared to the execs? If anything, those companies have more tolerance to loss than video game companies, so it should be more ethical to steal from them than pirate software, right? The only thing that's somewhat unique to the gaming industry compared to software as a whole is that there are more crunch periods preceding a release. Lots of hours on call shortly after launch. More hours put in overall compared to some more cushy software jobs, definitely an easy sector to burn out in... Source - am a software developer that worked for a game company...