Cell Phones

Switched to an iPhone today, after being an almost 10yr Android user - My take on it

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes

Switched to an iPhone today, after being an almost 10yr Android user - My take on it

I'm sure there are many threads similar to this, where someone switches from one system to another and post their feedback/experience. This will be a similar thread. And also I'm looking for any suggestions or what I need to do, or must haves, or setting tweaks etc... Please share.

I used to have the iPhone OG, then the iPhone 3Gs, after that its been Samsung exclusively. Started off with the Note series, then Note 7 exploded so that messed up my upgrade cycle and ended up getting the Galaxy S8 and recently had the Galaxy S10+ and S10e before buying the iPhone 11 Pro.

I used to be heavy into modifications of the home screen, launchers, widgets etc... But as I got older, I lost interest in all that. As the Android OS came out of its shell and became really good (at least for me), No mods or changes were needed. Samsung's UI 2.0 is fantastic and prefer that over Vanilla Android. (People used to prefer Vanilla Android over Samsung UI, but it got better)

The reason I switched was because I just needed some change and to try out something new.

I wanted to get the iPhone 12, but my phone was too broken to last another month, so I got the iPhone 11 Pro. I used to love the big screens up till S10+ and now all of sudden I love small screens. I went from S10+ to S10e just for the small screen. This is why I didn't go for the 11 Pro Max. And after looking at the Note 20 Ultra, I don't know how people walk around with that giant slab in their pockets. Throw a case on that and now its almost as big as a 7" tablet. Remember people made fun of the Samsung Galaxy Mega or the Note line up for being too big. Now that's the norm.

And I can't wait to see the new iPhone 12 mini.

Anyways, I found the Android to iPhone transfer process horrible. The contacts were the only thing that transferred decently using the "move to iOS" app. The text messages transferred but they were all out of order, and the timestamp on every message ever sent was the time they transferred over to iOS. I had to delete them and buy a 3rd party app to properly transfer these messages with proper timestamps.

I also had a really hard time transferring WhatsApp chats and data. I had over a half a million messages in WhatsApp and again had to buy a third party software to transfer WhatsApp from android to iOS. Android WhatsApp messages backs up to google drive and iOS WhatsApp backs up to the iCloud and they are not meant to be transferred between OSs without some third party help.

On my S10 I used gestures instead of the on screen buttons, but it is still a good learning curve, getting used to iOS gestures. I really miss the back button. iOS does have swipe from left, but it is nowhere near the same as a dedicated back button. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I also want to disable the spotlight search and widgets screen. I like having widgets on homescreen, inline with the apps. Well the only ones I really used were the calendar widget and notes widget. And they are nowhere near the same as they are on Android.

I'm sure this is common knowledge by now, but the apps on iOS are way more developed and polished than they are on Android. And the animations are smooth and haven't seen any lag yet. Still a new phone with just a few apps on it, so it shouldn't lag yet.

Another thing I need to switch from is Google Play Music. I love GPM, but it is shutting down this year as google is moving everyone to YouTube music. I tried YouTube music and hated it. Now I'm trying to decide between apple music and Spotify. Also need to move all my music and playlists over to whatever I decide on. (Anyone make a switch from GPM to something else?)

Finally, let me know about any tips or tricks that I need to know. Longtime Android users to switched over to iOS, what apps or tweaks do you recommend?
53 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1134 posts
825 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Nice write up. I'm not an Apple fanboy, just us an iphone 6s plus. I don't remember how many years old it is but there isn't any lag so I wouldn't be at all concerned. Enjoy your new phone. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2085 posts
1161 upvotes
Calgary
SongShift is what I used to transfer my playlists from Spotify to Apple Music. Note that it likely won’t touch your uploaded songs in GPM but will grab the iTunes equivalent if they’re there. If not, and you still have the tracks on your computer, iTunes will work as well (and upload songs that they don’t have so you can access them on your iPhone as long as you are paying for an Apple Music subscription).

I did the switch to iOS 6 months ago and have generally been quite happy.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1084 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
Might be digressing a bit but what's the point of transferring ALL your text and Whatsapp messages? Especially if you're saying you have half a million messages. Doesn't it just take up room? Are you really going to read your old text messages for fun?
If there's an important message, wouldn't you just save that separately somewhere else?

Whenever I switch to a new phone I don't even bother transferring the text messages.
13:6W-365. 14:11W-2134. 15:10W-1749. 16:4W-8120. 17:11W-2797.49. 18:8W-210. 19:7W-466.75. 20:13W-8234.04

Selling: Twin Mattress For Sale
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
Devhux wrote: SongShift is what I used to transfer my playlists from Spotify to Apple Music. Note that it likely won’t touch your uploaded songs in GPM but will grab the iTunes equivalent if they’re there. If not, and you still have the tracks on your computer, iTunes will work as well (and upload songs that they don’t have so you can access them on your iPhone as long as you are paying for an Apple Music subscription).

I did the switch to iOS 6 months ago and have generally been quite happy.
I tried songshift and didn't see GPM listed in there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
knacks wrote: Might be digressing a bit but what's the point of transferring ALL your text and Whatsapp messages? Especially if you're saying you have half a million messages. Doesn't it just take up room? Are you really going to read your old text messages for fun?
If there's an important message, wouldn't you just save that separately somewhere else?

Whenever I switch to a new phone I don't even bother transferring the text messages.
I have a lot of important info in messages and whatsapp. Its really easy to just search what I'm looking for and have it show up in messages or whatsapp.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4132 posts
1490 upvotes
GTA
xpoint9 wrote: I had to delete them and buy a 3rd party app
again had to buy a third party software
So it seems you'll be spending a lot of money if you transfer to ios, cold deal! Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 30, 2016
883 posts
1109 upvotes
Mississauga
xpoint9 wrote: I have a lot of important info in messages and whatsapp. Its really easy to just search what I'm looking for and have it show up in messages or whatsapp.
Been there. Conversations do not take up a lot of space, so no need losing them if you don't have to.
shabby wrote: So it seems you'll be spending a lot of money if you transfer to ios, cold deal! Face With Tears Of Joy
This isn't posted in hot deals, just a guy and his new phone, sharing his experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
shabby wrote: So it seems you'll be spending a lot of money if you transfer to ios, cold deal! Face With Tears Of Joy
I guess if you're like me and want to import messages, chats, call logs you need to spend money to buy third party softwares. So if you have a fix budgets and care about these things. Consider adding ~$50 to your budget. I don't know if the switch from iOS to Android is a different experience or free. Haven't gone down that path yet.
Gangsta101 wrote: Been there. Conversations do not take up a lot of space, so no need losing them if you don't have to.

This isn't posted in hot deals, just a guy and his new phone, sharing his experience.
Yes they do, and I have messages going back to 2008 lol. I was still searching up info in messages from 10 years ago. lot of important stuff gets mentioned in chats and messages and the ability to essentially "control F" on 10+ years of conversations is awesome.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Bluetooth and WiFi never disables on iOS. It just shuts off temporarily. The only way to disable it is to jailbreak I think.

BT and Wifi having been on, haven't been an issue for me. On iOS or Android. A lot of things these days require constant BT connection, like the vehicle, headphones, fitbit/smartwatch etc...
Nov 30, 2016
883 posts
1109 upvotes
Mississauga
xpoint9 wrote: Yes they do, and I have messages going back to 2008 lol.
Sorry I meant "storage space". Most of this is saved as plain text, so even 10 years with of messaging shouldn't take up to 1gb of space...I presume.
But yes, in terms of searchability, they are a real pain. It's ludicrous how much test is generated from just an hours chat. Was searching through my wife's WhatsApp history going back almost 8 years, for the word "drive". Let me just say it took a while...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5680 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
You should mention how tech savy you are. I think it will help people who are hear to learn from your experience.

I have similar experience as yours. I was loyal iFan for like 5 years. One of the first in Canada to get in iPhone (paid $xxxx for it). Then iPhone didn't really do all the things properly (can't hotspot without jailbreak and talk or do any other task). Android was horrible but was able to do multi things. Tried switching to iPhone a year-ish ago. OMG what a horrible experience. No matter how I import stuff, iPhone will always end up with an issue. Only fix is to reset! (some apps will not work! "other" will take enormous amount of space...).
I genuinely tried to go iPhone but its so restrictive. Now I am thinking of switching, since they have widgets, they have swipe, etc. One of the reason back in day I left iphone was : Cannot have 3 reminder for important tasks! I think its fixed now.
But changing ringtone is still as horrible as ever lol

I did my research and tied all my things into google (google contacts, photos, etc). Even when i have mac devices its not as seamless as iCloud but it works and I have a backup that I can convert into offline backup as needed.
When I had an iPhone a year or so back, my couple of months of pic / videos I just cannot get it in normal picture format! not through iTunes, not through third party. There will always be some missing.
Weird enough - I connected direct cable from my iPhone to my new Samsung and Samsung imported EVERYTHING into new Samsung phone! From that I was able to copy it to my offline backup.

I am tech savy - but if you ever want to switch back - you will have even harder time! Good luck though.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Nov 3, 2007
863 posts
56 upvotes
Cambridge
Main reason I like/went iphone is because you can get updates including new OS for years and they still run great
Also can book ahead with apple store for battery change and wait for it
Most androids work pretty good to but isn't it still mail in for repairs for lot including battery changes
Cambridge,Ontario
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: You should mention how tech savy you are. I think it will help people who are hear to learn from your experience.

I have similar experience as yours. I was loyal iFan for like 5 years. One of the first in Canada to get in iPhone (paid $xxxx for it). Then iPhone didn't really do all the things properly (can't hotspot without jailbreak and talk or do any other task). Android was horrible but was able to do multi things. Tried switching to iPhone a year-ish ago. OMG what a horrible experience. No matter how I import stuff, iPhone will always end up with an issue. Only fix is to reset! (some apps will not work! "other" will take enormous amount of space...).
I genuinely tried to go iPhone but its so restrictive. Now I am thinking of switching, since they have widgets, they have swipe, etc. One of the reason back in day I left iphone was : Cannot have 3 reminder for important tasks! I think its fixed now.
But changing ringtone is still as horrible as ever lol

I did my research and tied all my things into google (google contacts, photos, etc). Even when i have mac devices its not as seamless as iCloud but it works and I have a backup that I can convert into offline backup as needed.
When I had an iPhone a year or so back, my couple of months of pic / videos I just cannot get it in normal picture format! not through iTunes, not through third party. There will always be some missing.
Weird enough - I connected direct cable from my iPhone to my new Samsung and Samsung imported EVERYTHING into new Samsung phone! From that I was able to copy it to my offline backup.

I am tech savy - but if you ever want to switch back - you will have even harder time! Good luck though.
Yes I am quite tech savvy and that is how I was able to do my transfers. I think an average person with average computer skills will have a harder time doing the transfer. But luckily there are few good YouTube videos available.

And I think Android (or SAMSUNG) has reached a point where it is comparable to iOS or even exceeds it in productivity, features, and general technological advances. And Apple's philosophy is to let the market get used to the new tech/features then introduce them in a better and more polished way.

And yes the iPhone is very very restrictive. I knew that going in. Still I wasn't prepared for all the restrictions they have in place. Not being able to turn off the search/spotlight function, can't turn off widgets screen, can't turn off the app drawer from imessages etc... There are a lot things that are jus there and can't be turned off. Samsung introduced bixby with a dedicated button and still had an option to turn it off. iCloud is really good if you are invested in the apple ecosystem. I can't bring myself to do that just yet.

So far I like the iPhone, iOS 14 introduced some Android features and its a step into the right direction for apple. One major Android or Samsung feature I miss is "Always on Display". Why Apple hasn't introduced that yet, I have no idea. Maybe with iPhone 12, all screens being OLED they can introduce AOD on all their iPhones to have consistency? one can hope. Still Andorid is years ahead in notifications iOS notification are terrible compared to Android.
tyreman wrote: Main reason I like/went iphone is because you can get updates including new OS for years and they still run great
Also can book ahead with apple store for battery change and wait for it
Most androids work pretty good to but isn't it still mail in for repairs for lot including battery changes
Samsung now has authorized repair centers where they can fix your phone in 2-3hours. I took my S10e to get the screen replaced and they did it n 2hours for $200 (I didn't get the extra warranty). In the $200 they replaced the whole front screen, and the entire housing around the phone as well as a new battery. They just swapped over the motherboard from my old S10e to new one. It essentially became a new phone for $200 lol.

But apple has a huge advantage over any other phone manufacturer with the apple store and their services and customer services is top notch.