Cell Phones

Switched to an iPhone today, after being an almost 10yr Android user - My take on it

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:00 am
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1693 posts
2368 upvotes
Waterloo Region
So i just found out that if you've got a dual-SIM iPhone, IOS has the ability to share mobile data from say SIM_1 to SIM_2. What this means in practical terms is that if you were in a place with no network access for your SIM 1 line, but it has WiFi calling ability, you could use the LTE data for SIM 2 to keep yourself connected and make/receive calls.
This is a huge deal for me. I am looking at pairing Freedom's $99/year prepaid service with an great data only service like the Walmart/ATT plan and see if i can get the best of both worlds.

I haven't owned an iphone in years, but this is making me want to get the iphone 12 when it comes out. Seriously tempted now, but there are a couple of things I have always taken for granted on Android that i will sorely miss. Windows-like file access/data transfer, youtube vanced, non-DRM media ... Gosh, i will miss Android.

EDIT: This feature is called"Cellular Data Switching"
Last edited by Gangsta101 on Sep 25th, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: So i just found out that if you've got a dual-SIM iPhone, IOS has the ability to share mobile data from say SIM_1 to SIM_2. What this means in practical terms is that if you were in a place with no network access for your SIM 1 line, but it has WiFi calling ability, you could use the LTE data for SIM 2 to keep yourself connected and make/receive calls.
This is a huge deal for me. I am looking at pairing Freedom's $99/year prepaid service with an great data only service like the Walmart/ATT plan and see if i can get the best of both worlds.

I haven't owned an iphone in years, but this is making me want to get the iphone 12 when it comes out. Seriously tempted now, but there are a couple of things I have always taken for granted on Android that i will sorely miss. Windows-like file access/data transfer, youtube vanced, non-DRM media ... Gosh, i will miss Android.
I haven't looked carefully, but is the iPhone coming with dual sim capability? or is it Sim and e-Sim?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
xpoint9 wrote: I haven't looked carefully, but is the iPhone coming with dual sim capability? or is it Sim and e-Sim?
Sim + eSim
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1693 posts
2368 upvotes
Waterloo Region
xpoint9 wrote: I haven't looked carefully, but is the iPhone coming with dual sim capability? or is it Sim and e-Sim?
SIM + eSIM, but functionally the same thing.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
the plan is available for Ontario...
Gangsta101 wrote: I think I get your hint, but this plan will take a lot of effort to get seeing as I am in Ontario, and the Walmart/ATT plus Freedom gives the same monetary value, but you gain more in terms of roaming in the States/Mexico.
The sweetest gyal
Jun 11, 2018
199 posts
110 upvotes
iOS is such a pain if you are a Windows user. Switching to Note20U this year for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1693 posts
2368 upvotes
Waterloo Region
sexyj wrote: the plan is available for Ontario...
Yeah I see that now. Will try to get it tomorrow
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6634 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
idontwantausername wrote: i'm gonna suggest that you aren't.

i'm tech savvy. i used to build my own computers when i was younger. i was everyone's go to computer geek. android trash and will forever be trash. iPhone has it's flaws but not enough for me to say f it and use an android.
Thanks - I am quite sure it wasn't there when it was first released. Anyway, my issue wasn't file format. It was getting pictures in to my computer. E.g., If I connect my iphone and on my PC or Mac - if I drag and drop it will not copy all the files. I can see I have 673 photo and video. The count will be below 400 when everything is copied. It will be different each time I copy from finder / explorer.

I am sure iTunes backup have it all - but it mess up the files and its such a hassle to change file extension to proper format.

I just wanted a normal COMPLETE backup, even if its in native HEIC format. Almost fell like a ransomware - my pictures exist on iPhone and can't leave their ecosystem lol

Don't get me wrong - i love my macbook! I love my ipad (although don't use it much). I am not a hater - but Apple pullz shiz that just unreal and can't compromise my phone with them ... so far. May change with iPhone 12
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: I think I get your hint, but this plan will take a lot of effort to get seeing as I am in Ontario, and the Walmart/ATT plus Freedom gives the same monetary value, but you gain more in terms of roaming in the States/Mexico.
Do you know if you make calls and send texts WHILE IN Canada/Mexico TO Canada/US/Mexico numbers as well as send texts internationally without getting any extra charges? Thinking Face
I'm guessing when you say Roaming is included that it means you can receive calls and texts without any extra costs in Canada/US/Mexio? Is that right?

Do you know if it's mentioned anywhere on their website? Link plz? Thinking Face
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
grEatbUy wrote: iOS is such a pain if you are a Windows user. Switching to Note20U this year for me.
Why? What's the problems if you have and Iphone and use Windows? Can you just drag and drop files?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1693 posts
2368 upvotes
Waterloo Region
GreenLean wrote: Do you know if you make calls and send texts WHILE IN Canada/Mexico TO Canada/US/Mexico numbers as well as send texts internationally without getting any extra charges? Thinking Face
I'm guessing when you say Roaming is included that it means you can receive calls and texts without any extra costs in Canada/US/Mexio? Is that right?

Do you know if it's mentioned anywhere on their website? Link plz? Thinking Face
That's what it says on the AT&T page
And here is the discussion thread here on RFD
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GreenLean wrote: Why? What's the problems if you have and Iphone and use Windows? Can you just drag and drop files?
Sometimes yes. Sometime no. Many people dont see their iphone in file explorer and it can be frustrating to troubleshoot that.
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
hartzfizzo wrote: Sometimes yes. Sometime no. Many people dont see their iphone in file explorer and it can be frustrating to troubleshoot that.
How did you find them then?
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
xpoint9 wrote: This is what I used to transfer android whatsapp to ios https://www.backuptrans.com/android-wha ... nsfer.html

They also make this one for ios to android. https://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-what ... nsfer.html
What did you use for text?

Is there a way to merge the backups? For example if you have both what's app for iOS and Android and want it in one operating system or will it create a new file?
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vivibaby wrote: How did you find them then?
More often than not, windows requires updating your driver the device, but it can also be as simple as using a different usb port or updating your version of windows/itunes.

Here’s a good article: https://www.saintlad.com/computer-not-r ... ng-iphone/

Ultimately, this is a widely known issue and can be hard for a lot of people to fix. Especially when android is plug and play 100% of the time
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
hartzfizzo wrote: More often than not, windows requires updating your driver the device, but it can also be as simple as using a different usb port or updating your version of windows/itunes.

Here’s a good article: https://www.saintlad.com/computer-not-r ... ng-iphone/

Ultimately, this is a widely known issue and can be hard for a lot of people to fix. Especially when android is plug and play 100% of the time
But the thing is that people are complaining that they see only some of the files. If you transfer then you may miss some pictures.

I remember transferring is also very flakey. Like it’ll start transferring and then it’ll stop with no error. I don’t know if I transfer how much and if there is corruption especially with cut and paste.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: What did you use for text?

Is there a way to merge the backups? For example if you have both what's app for iOS and Android and want it in one operating system or will it create a new file?
Same company makes a program to transfer messages. However you can also use the free Move to ios app by apple that is available on the play store. But that app messed up my messages, and it timestamped them all wrong. I ended up using an aftermarket app for the transfer of messages. If you look on the webpage for backup trans, you will see the program to transfer messages from Android to ios.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)