Cell Phones

Switched to an iPhone today, after being an almost 10yr Android user - My take on it

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:00 am
Dec 13, 2019
296 posts
243 upvotes
The walls on the Walled Garden of Apple is getting so high that getting in is even a problem! lol Seriously though, the best tool for the job is what I encourage. If at this point in your life, the iPhone fits better in your use case, then go for it. I generally find iOS has its set of quirks and you're generally fixed on a given track and not stray from that to control the user experience and from things going wrong. That works most of the time, but not always. My last iPhone was the 6+ and I had a terrible time with both the phone and iOS. Quality was very lacking for the hardware and software was sloppy. My Bluetooth chip decided to kill itself one day and I had flaky and unreliable Bluetooth which I could not figure out until the Genius at the Apple Store used their special app to see that my Bluetooth chip as died. No wonder Bluetooth has been unreliable -- and iOS had no way of telling me that was the case. Thank goodness it still had a headphone jack. If this is the wireless future where my Bluetooth (or equivalent) chip would suddenly die, I have no other audio options other than the phone speakers. No thanks.

The other thing I found with iPhones and iOS is that you better pray that everything works 100%, otherwise, there is next to nothing you can do to diagnose and fix the problem with the hood welded shut. Furthermore, the auto landscape bug was never fixed on my 6+ even though I reported that to them. I would press the home key to exit any app for the phone to randomly freeze for 2 seconds, flash and then the home screen would turn itself in landscape view -- when my phone is in portrait view the whole time. They also haven't solved the film roll/picture gallery slowdown bug either where if you have a lot of pictures stored on your phone, it would drag your performance into the mud.

Battery life and battery anxiety has always been a concern for me as an iPhone user especially with that tiny charge brick. Their batteries are tiny even for a Plus phone. I've had instances where I would arrive home with a dead phone that will not turn on even though the battery was full. I had to plug my phone to get it to come back to life (and it showed the battery was dead as door nail). Furthermore, it doesn't matter that they're the mobile CPU king in the market if their batteries are tiny. It's the equivalent of strapping a V6 engine (or a turbcoharged engine) to lawn mower gas tank. You can go fast, but you won't get very far. Furthermore, fast charge is still a premium feature that's locked away until you pony up for a fast charger (more money in Apple's pocket).

Even though iOS updates are great and they do update for 4 to 5 years on the phone, there's always the worry about mystery battery drain. I had to check the reviews and forums to make sure that the newest update didn't mysteriously drain the battery prematurely before daring to update. It's always the struggle between security versus potential irreversible adverse effects. How many years has iOS been on the market and they haven't figured out how to prevent mystery battery drain? And this is a $2 trillion company?! So much for optimization... I found myself becoming Apple's unwitting beta tester more and more as each successive update got worse. I've never had to worry about such problems on Android -- at least on my Pixel 2 XL so far. I'm so sad, because iOS used to be the most put-together and smooth mobile OS ever in comparison to Android which was a fragmented, disjointed mess with promised updates that never came.

Right now, you're pretty much forced to accessorize in order to get full use of the product that you bought (which is expensive to start with). That means more money in Apple's pocket. All these hidden costs and nickel and diming has turned me off Apple. They've stopped innovating for me to really buy in, and instead relying on cheap tricks and creating problems while charging me for the solution. As an investor and owner, it's a brilliant business strategy with many people willing to pay top dollar for a fragile device that's expensive to fix (and made somewhat affordable to repair only if you bought AppleCare) alongside your iPhone purchase. Let me decide how to spend my money instead of dictating my purchase decisions, Apple.

As an investor and owner, Apple has a brilliant business plan to make money hand over fist. As a consumer, not so much. :-(

I initially bought into Apple, because they were so much better than the other guys in terms of long term support and innovation at a fair price. Now, I'm just paying more to get less. I left Apple, not because the other guys are so good, but because Apple has gotten so bad.

Apologies for the long, rambling rant, but that was my experience with Apple. I haven't sworn off Apple, but they seriously need to innovate and give others a run for their money. The competition has now caught up and have surpassed Apple in some ways. You can get a lot for your money some times with other manufacturers. If you're looking for a predictable (relatively speaking) experience, and the "guided tour" type of experience, since Apple maintains an iron grip on everything then iPhone is the way to go.
Why settle for MSRP when you can wait and get it at a lower price? 😉
Aug 11, 2018
857 posts
713 upvotes
LesDeals wrote: The walls on the Walled Garden of Apple is getting so high that getting in is even a problem! lol Seriously though, the best tool for the job is what I encourage. If at this point in your life, the iPhone fits better in your use case, then go for it. I generally find iOS has its set of quirks and you're generally fixed on a given track and not stray from that to control the user experience and from things going wrong. That works most of the time, but not always. My last iPhone was the 6+ and I had a terrible time with both the phone and iOS. Quality was very lacking for the hardware and software was sloppy. My Bluetooth chip decided to kill itself one day and I had flaky and unreliable Bluetooth which I could not figure out until the Genius at the Apple Store used their special app to see that my Bluetooth chip as died. No wonder Bluetooth has been unreliable -- and iOS had no way of telling me that was the case. Thank goodness it still had a headphone jack. If this is the wireless future where my Bluetooth (or equivalent) chip would suddenly die, I have no other audio options other than the phone speakers. No thanks.

The other thing I found with iPhones and iOS is that you better pray that everything works 100%, otherwise, there is next to nothing you can do to diagnose and fix the problem with the hood welded shut. Furthermore, the auto landscape bug was never fixed on my 6+ even though I reported that to them. I would press the home key to exit any app for the phone to randomly freeze for 2 seconds, flash and then the home screen would turn itself in landscape view -- when my phone is in portrait view the whole time. They also haven't solved the film roll/picture gallery slowdown bug either where if you have a lot of pictures stored on your phone, it would drag your performance into the mud.

Battery life and battery anxiety has always been a concern for me as an iPhone user especially with that tiny charge brick. Their batteries are tiny even for a Plus phone. I've had instances where I would arrive home with a dead phone that will not turn on even though the battery was full. I had to plug my phone to get it to come back to life (and it showed the battery was dead as door nail). Furthermore, it doesn't matter that they're the mobile CPU king in the market if their batteries are tiny. It's the equivalent of strapping a V6 engine (or a turbcoharged engine) to lawn mower gas tank. You can go fast, but you won't get very far. Furthermore, fast charge is still a premium feature that's locked away until you pony up for a fast charger (more money in Apple's pocket).

Even though iOS updates are great and they do update for 4 to 5 years on the phone, there's always the worry about mystery battery drain. I had to check the reviews and forums to make sure that the newest update didn't mysteriously drain the battery prematurely before daring to update. It's always the struggle between security versus potential irreversible adverse effects. How many years has iOS been on the market and they haven't figured out how to prevent mystery battery drain? And this is a $2 trillion company?! So much for optimization... I found myself becoming Apple's unwitting beta tester more and more as each successive update got worse. I've never had to worry about such problems on Android -- at least on my Pixel 2 XL so far. I'm so sad, because iOS used to be the most put-together and smooth mobile OS ever in comparison to Android which was a fragmented, disjointed mess with promised updates that never came.

Right now, you're pretty much forced to accessorize in order to get full use of the product that you bought (which is expensive to start with). That means more money in Apple's pocket. All these hidden costs and nickel and diming has turned me off Apple. They've stopped innovating for me to really buy in, and instead relying on cheap tricks and creating problems while charging me for the solution. As an investor and owner, it's a brilliant business strategy with many people willing to pay top dollar for a fragile device that's expensive to fix (and made somewhat affordable to repair only if you bought AppleCare) alongside your iPhone purchase. Let me decide how to spend my money instead of dictating my purchase decisions, Apple.

As an investor and owner, Apple has a brilliant business plan to make money hand over fist. As a consumer, not so much. :-(

I initially bought into Apple, because they were so much better than the other guys in terms of long term support and innovation at a fair price. Now, I'm just paying more to get less. I left Apple, not because the other guys are so good, but because Apple has gotten so bad.

Apologies for the long, rambling rant, but that was my experience with Apple. I haven't sworn off Apple, but they seriously need to innovate and give others a run for their money. The competition has now caught up and have surpassed Apple in some ways. You can get a lot for your money some times with other manufacturers. If you're looking for a predictable (relatively speaking) experience, and the "guided tour" type of experience, since Apple maintains an iron grip on everything then iPhone is the way to go.
gotta love opinions from someone who used a phone from 2014.

jesus christ.

use the phone you like. but don't spew bullshit like this dude. i can pick apart your post and tell you where you're wrong (or right) but what's the point? everyone likes their own things, it's part of life. you don't like apple? cool. why you had to write a 7 paragraph essay on a forum explaining it shows your insecurities.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4793 posts
3288 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
idontwantausername wrote: gotta love opinions from someone who used a phone from 2014.

jesus christ.

use the phone you like. but don't spew bullshit like this dude. i can pick apart your post and tell you where you're wrong (or right) but what's the point? everyone likes their own things, it's part of life. you don't like apple? cool. why you had to write a 7 paragraph essay on a forum explaining it shows your insecurities.
I know right LOL. A lot of what he is saying about Apple is now happening on other flagship phones so really it’s a moot point. Too many fallacies I won’t even bother.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1822 posts
767 upvotes
Antarctica
As much as I love using the MacBook pros, every time I end up helping family and friends with their iPhones and media management etc, I am reminded why I stay away. My plebian simple ways have doomed me to using Android :D

SO and the rest of the family have tried to get me to switch and I admit they are slick and polished devices but iOS is just too annoying to deal with.

MacOS and Linux are superb though.
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6511 posts
2181 upvotes
LesDeals wrote: The walls on the Walled Garden of Apple is getting so high that getting in is even a problem! lol Seriously though, the best tool for the job is what I encourage. If at this point in your life, the iPhone fits better in your use case, then go for it. I generally find iOS has its set of quirks and you're generally fixed on a given track and not stray from that to control the user experience and from things going wrong. That works most of the time, but not always. My last iPhone was the 6+ and I had a terrible time with both the phone and iOS. Quality was very lacking for the hardware and software was sloppy. My Bluetooth chip decided to kill itself one day and I had flaky and unreliable Bluetooth which I could not figure out until the Genius at the Apple Store used their special app to see that my Bluetooth chip as died. No wonder Bluetooth has been unreliable -- and iOS had no way of telling me that was the case. Thank goodness it still had a headphone jack. If this is the wireless future where my Bluetooth (or equivalent) chip would suddenly die, I have no other audio options other than the phone speakers. No thanks.

I regret reading this post.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18494 posts
2273 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't mind it, since iPhone 3GS I've owned every one since then (ok, I skipped X).

My problem with it is iOS is boring AF. I agree with MacOS being superb, I will never go back to Windows.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Nov 26, 2014
125 posts
136 upvotes
Calgary
I really do which you could drag and drop easily with iOS. However I t’s not as big of a pain with streaming services now.
Aug 11, 2018
857 posts
713 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote: As much as I love using the MacBook pros, every time I end up helping family and friends with their iPhones and media management etc, I am reminded why I stay away. My plebian simple ways have doomed me to using Android :D

SO and the rest of the family have tried to get me to switch and I admit they are slick and polished devices but iOS is just too annoying to deal with.

MacOS and Linux are superb though.
What kind of issues? Genuinely curious.

Personally, I haven't had issues in years.

I take a photo/video and it appears on all my iOS devices.
Music I use Spotify.
Dec 13, 2019
296 posts
243 upvotes
My previous post is meant to relay my last experience with iOS and iPhone and it's not sunshine and butterflies for iPhones all the time. And it's not any attempt at "conversion therapy" to dissuade anyone from buying an iPhone. It was my horrible experience at the time with iPhone and take what you will from it. That's fine. Yes, I understand 2014 has been a long time ago as well. Perhaps you had a much better experience than I had. Congratulations. I wasn't so lucky.

I frankly don't care if Apple or Google wins since I have no horse in this race and would be fine using either platform. I feel that some of the restrictions put in place by Apple feel more like a straight jacket for anyone who wishes to "really own their phones" to do as they please than the rigidly regimented experience from Apple (like being able to side load Fortnite on to their phones (priorities, I know.) Winking Face but can also be a security feature to prevent any nasties from getting installed behind your back.

With technology, there's constant improvement (and no platform is perfect, just what best fits your use case) with plenty of leapfrogging going on and it's us consumers that generally end up with the biggest benefit. The general trend is that as the technology gets better, we get a better, more feature-rich product at about the same and even lower price. Apple seems to be the one going the other way. Each successive generation of iPhones are better in capability, with the price going up each generation (by taking away features and charging for the solution like headphone dongles, offering paltry storage space with 64 GB starting storage at the non-pro level). Fast charging is still a premium feature you need to pay extra for (no fast charger power brick in the box and now no charger brick, period) and at a higher price. Many Android manufacturers have been including fast charging bricks for many years now (with notable exceptions like Samsung depending on if you bought their flagship). And I'm not absolving Android manufacturers of the same anti-consumer moves either, but Apple did it first, proven it as a viable business move (aka remains profitable and product still sells like hotcakes), for other manufacturers to follow the trend like removing the headphone jack and not including a dongle.

Whatever your use case may be, it's your money at the end of the day, and nobody cares about your money more than you do. So buy whatever suits you best for your current use case (after doing your own research) to get the most out of your purchase. I'm currently on a great loyalty plan and don't plan on going on a contract unless the math makes sense for me to be tied up for 2 years. iPhones are generally expensive to begin with (especially outside the US) and even more so buying without a contract.
Why settle for MSRP when you can wait and get it at a lower price? 😉
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5450 posts
1384 upvotes
Toronto
LesDeals wrote: My previous post is meant to relay my last experience with iOS and iPhone and it's not sunshine and butterflies for iPhones all the time. And it's not any attempt at "conversion therapy" to dissuade anyone from buying an iPhone. It was my horrible experience at the time with iPhone and take what you will from it. That's fine. Yes, I understand 2014 has been a long time ago as well. Perhaps you had a much better experience than I had. Congratulations. I wasn't so lucky.

I frankly don't care if Apple or Google wins since I have no horse in this race and would be fine using either platform. I feel that some of the restrictions put in place by Apple feel more like a straight jacket for anyone who wishes to "really own their phones" to do as they please than the rigidly regimented experience from Apple (like being able to side load Fortnite on to their phones (priorities, I know.) Winking Face but can also be a security feature to prevent any nasties from getting installed behind your back.

With technology, there's constant improvement (and no platform is perfect, just what best fits your use case) with plenty of leapfrogging going on and it's us consumers that generally end up with the biggest benefit. The general trend is that as the technology gets better, we get a better, more feature-rich product at about the same and even lower price. Apple seems to be the one going the other way. Each successive generation of iPhones are better in capability, with the price going up each generation (by taking away features and charging for the solution like headphone dongles, offering paltry storage space with 64 GB starting storage at the non-pro level). Fast charging is still a premium feature you need to pay extra for (no fast charger power brick in the box and now no charger brick, period) and at a higher price. Many Android manufacturers have been including fast charging bricks for many years now (with notable exceptions like Samsung depending on if you bought their flagship). And I'm not absolving Android manufacturers of the same anti-consumer moves either, but Apple did it first, proven it as a viable business move (aka remains profitable and product still sells like hotcakes), for other manufacturers to follow the trend like removing the headphone jack and not including a dongle.

Whatever your use case may be, it's your money at the end of the day, and nobody cares about your money more than you do. So buy whatever suits you best for your current use case (after doing your own research) to get the most out of your purchase. I'm currently on a great loyalty plan and don't plan on going on a contract unless the math makes sense for me to be tied up for 2 years. iPhones are generally expensive to begin with (especially outside the US) and even more so buying without a contract.
TL; DR 2 - The Revenge
Jul 13, 2016
214 posts
317 upvotes
I've used both non stop for a long time - Android for my phone and an iPad for around the house media up until about 2017 when the iPad battery wore out. Starting in 2016, an iPhone for work and still Android personally. I also supported almost 200 end users with iPhones and/or iPads in a business setting up until 2016.

So I'm certainly not a fanatic of either and I haven't used a dozen phones this year, but I have used several phones and seen many OSes from each company. To this day I can't stand the iPhone, even the most recent OSes, because of the inconsistency in UI elements and the fact that they've thrown the fundamental UI design tennent of discoverability out the window.

Single tap? Double tap? BACK tap? Swipe something in a specific direction? or from from a specific side of the device? Swipe with multiple fingers? Nothing on the phone ever tells you - you just have to know what it is you're supposed to do. I find after all these years, and I do use an iPhone every single workday and most weekends - it's still a mess.

If you can do something on Android, it's almost always a button you tap once. If need be a little menu opens. I guess that's just more my speed.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4316 posts
2623 upvotes
Gotham
Interesting takes on why people change. I'm thinking about changing from android to iOS for a totally different reason, on-board storage. I also want a normal size phone and not a phablet. I'm in year three of my Samsung Galaxy S9 so I will need to upgrade soon as battery life falls off sharply around now from my experience with Samsung phones.

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S9 Duos (dual sim) with 256GB of storage. I have two physical sim cards installed. The carriers that I use do not have esim. In the storage is about 130GB of music. I want all of my music on the device for long flights as well as when I'm in my car. Where I live and drive, there are several dead zones for mobile coverage and it is annoying when I am streaming music and it cuts out.

I am thinking about getting the iPhone 12 as it is about the same dimensions as the S9. I think almost everything that I currently use on ny S9 would work on an iphone. The only exception is my calendar app, aCalendar - which is the only app that I've ever purchased. It replicates and has a similar workflow to a two page per day Daytimer paper organizer - I'm old. Face With Tears Of Joy I asked the developer about iOS and was flatly told no.

My biggest questions are,
  1. Does iphone 12 have the same screen quality as the S9? I also use a Samsung tablet and it has the Super Amoled screen. I used the iPad Pro 10.5 once and hated the screen quality. I think in smaller devices like a phone, screen quality is even more important.
  2. Is there something similar to aCalendar in iOS?
  3. Dual sim model? I think I would need to get one from China where it has two physical sim slots. Has anyone had any experience with that model?

If not iOS, is there a similar Android phone that would suit my needs?
Oct 14, 2006
207 posts
96 upvotes
Richmond
idontwantausername wrote: What kind of issues? Genuinely curious.

Personally, I haven't had issues in years.

I take a photo/video and it appears on all my iOS devices.
Music I use Spotify.
I get paid to fix problems with Apple products when the genius bar can't. That's why I use Windows and Android myself. I have found that iOS and MacOS is firmly designed for the average user. If you have average use cases, you will be fine, and may even enjoy it. The interoperability is quite good. (Approximately the same as Google, but with more lock-in) But if you have more extreme use, your Apple stuff will probably be a pain in the butt.

If you load a few TB's of photos into Apple Photos, it typically dies, never to open the library again. If by miracle you do get it open, whatever it is doing in the background is so intense, it takes between 30 seconds and 15 minutes to click on something and activate a button. Apple has no working tools to help you salvage data. MacOS just malfunctions under that load. You will be forced to use third party paid options.

Windows? Doesn't care one bit if you have 3,000,000 photos. Just as fast as if you have 100, as long as you spec'd your computer properly. (Ryzen/32GB/2x 2TB-SSD, etc.)

Fanboys will shout at me, "3,000,000 photos? How realistic is that!?" (Mainly because they are average and can't imagine an edge case.) Yet I came across a very real one, and do almost monthly because it's my job.

A recently retired lady was recruited by her family and extended family to digitise and document their family history. Slides and old photos, stories, etc. - a huge job turning them into digital memories that could be shared with everyone. Their family agreed to get her the photos and chip in $100-200 each, so she was getting around $50,000 or so for the two or three years of her retired life documenting all those photos. (Around 1.1 million, I gather.) She had hundreds of relatives, obviously. But being retired became her full time job... lol.

Do you know how heartbreaking it is to put in all that effort and then find out that because you used a Mac (that was getting slower and slower), one day you tripped the limit - stepped over the line - and you're an edge case now that can't access any of your work? That it was almost all for naught?

I just won't use software that dies under edge case use. Apple - no thanks. Microsoft - nope, not their apps either. Google has a pretty good track record - all their apps do quite well with large loads. Windows/Android + third party, though - it is the way to go in my opinion, if you might be an extreme user in some manner or another! My KISS principal.

Another good example - that business person with 8500 contacts. iOS: It's a complete mess. Google: Entirely manageable and easy to search through and locate/organise contacts. It even suggests related contacts, so if you remember that "Jeff" told you the name of a good mortgage broker, just searching out Jeff mortgage will drill down your results. Oh, there the broker is... "Phil"... Google and their search wizardry is amazing.
batcave wrote: Interesting takes on why people change. I'm thinking about changing from android to iOS for a totally different reason, on-board storage. I also want a normal size phone and not a phablet. I'm in year three of my Samsung Galaxy S9 so I will need to upgrade soon as battery life falls off sharply around now from my experience with Samsung phones.

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S9 Duos (dual sim) with 256GB of storage. I have two physical sim cards installed. The carriers that I use do not have esim. In the storage is about 130GB of music. I want all of my music on the device for long flights as well as when I'm in my car. Where I live and drive, there are several dead zones for mobile coverage and it is annoying when I am streaming music and it cuts out.

I am thinking about getting the iPhone 12 as it is about the same dimensions as the S9. I think almost everything that I currently use on ny S9 would work on an iphone. The only exception is my calendar app, aCalendar - which is the only app that I've ever purchased. It replicates and has a similar workflow to a two page per day Daytimer paper organizer - I'm old. Face With Tears Of Joy I asked the developer about iOS and was flatly told no.

My biggest questions are,
  1. Does iphone 12 have the same screen quality as the S9? I also use a Samsung tablet and it has the Super Amoled screen. I used the iPad Pro 10.5 once and hated the screen quality. I think in smaller devices like a phone, screen quality is even more important.
  2. Is there something similar to aCalendar in iOS?
  3. Dual sim model? I think I would need to get one from China where it has two physical sim slots. Has anyone had any experience with that model?

If not iOS, is there a similar Android phone that would suit my needs?
This year small phones are not common - Pixels are some of the most well known smaller phones on the Android side, but they only make 128GB models, which does you no good. Your options are quite limited unless you look at Chinese brands. The iPhone very well may be the best phone for you this time around.

The only option to make it work on something like a Pixel is to compress your music library, and then it won't sound quite as good.

If you get an iPhone, grab Spark for email. It's really good.

I would sync your contacts to/from Gmail so that you get as many benefits from there as possible. (Not the searching, at least on iOS itself - but you do get backup/de-dupe and organisation on the web version of Contacts.)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4316 posts
2623 upvotes
Gotham
Kramy wrote: This year small phones are not common - Pixels are some of the most well known smaller phones on the Android side, but they only make 128GB models, which does you no good. Your options are quite limited unless you look at Chinese brands. The iPhone very well may be the best phone for you this time around.

The only option to make it work on something like a Pixel is to compress your music library, and then it won't sound quite as good.

If you get an iPhone, grab Spark for email. It's really good.

I would sync your contacts to/from Gmail so that you get as many benefits from there as possible. (Not the searching, at least on iOS itself - but you do get backup/de-dupe and organisation on the web version of Contacts.)
Thanks for that. I have ruled out and 128gb phones because even if I compress the library, I need additional storage for photos and videos I take. Plus there is storage for apps and other files. If Samsung doesn't produce a suitable phone never year, it will be an iPhone or a Chinese phone.

All of my contacts have been in Gmail/Google for years because better that I felt like I was managing several lists at the same time. I like that when I add to one device, they are synced on all other devices. Also if I replace a service, it is no extra effort to replicate the data.

I'll try out spark if I go iPhone. Thanks!