Cell Phones

Switched to Koodo recently - Roger's is offering a win back of 15GB for $50 month - any reasons I shouldn't?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 8:07 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes

Switched to Koodo recently - Roger's is offering a win back of 15GB for $50 month - any reasons I shouldn't?

As the title says, I switched to Koodo a few months ago, got an S9 on medium tab, paid it off and am on a BYOD plan. I am on $60/mth for 7GB and 500 minutes, also receiving a $10/mth credit as part of some promo I can't remember. I called yesterday and told them about the winback offer and they said they couldn't match it. Best they would do for me is 6GB for $55/mth with unlimited minutes. They also wanted me to pay a $10 fee for switching to this over the phone, even though they confirmed it wasn't possible to do in self serve, only on the phone. After a lot of resistance and the rep saying he has to trick the system and could lose is job (load of BS I'm sure), they agreed to waive it.

Rogers is calling me back tomorrow. Is there any hidden catches I don't know about? Asked if it was just a temporary rate and the rep said no. Hard to say no to more GB at a cheaper price.
25 replies
Aug 12, 2015
205 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I left Rogers a few years ago for Telus, their customer service is better and they’re easier to swindle but their slow speeds and poor LTE reception is intolerable for me.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12227 posts
11099 upvotes
Check your Koodo contract for paying tab balance and phone credit if you are not staying with Koodo less than 24 months. Basically, you are paying full retail for your S9.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes
embguy wrote: Check your Koodo contract for paying tab balance and phone credit if you are not staying with Koodo less than 24 months. Basically, you are paying full retail for your S9.
When I spoke to the Koodo CSR yesterday I asked if there was any penalties or anything if I were to switch, and he said no. But now that you mention that it sounds familiar, I may have to dig up the actual paper contracts. I checked on self serve and through my bills and there's nothing to indicate I'm on the hook for anything.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21510 posts
2769 upvotes
Toronto
How is Rogers vs Koodo reception strength in the areas that you frequent?

If they are equal, definitely go to Rogers for their plan with more Gbs.

I have a lot of issues with Rogers/Fido reception near Union station and along my GO train route - Koodo is better for me.

Thus I couldn't go with Rogers even if they offered me the $50/15Gb winback plan.

There is no reward for loyalty to carriers - look out for yourself.

Just make sure you aren't on the hook for the full phone costs or even then, if you crunch the #s - you might still be ahead with the Rogers plan.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15970 posts
4495 upvotes
Markham
Stephen9o3 wrote: As the title says, I switched to Koodo a few months ago, got an S9 on medium tab, paid it off and am on a BYOD plan. I am on $60/mth for 7GB and 500 minutes, also receiving a $10/mth credit as part of some promo I can't remember. I called yesterday and told them about the winback offer and they said they couldn't match it. Best they would do for me is 6GB for $55/mth with unlimited minutes. They also wanted me to pay a $10 fee for switching to this over the phone, even though they confirmed it wasn't possible to do in self serve, only on the phone. After a lot of resistance and the rep saying he has to trick the system and could lose is job (load of BS I'm sure), they agreed to waive it.

Rogers is calling me back tomorrow. Is there any hidden catches I don't know about? Asked if it was just a temporary rate and the rep said no. Hard to say no to more GB at a cheaper price.
Try speaking to koodo again, but ask for Retention or loyalty department.
if they still can't match and really no penalty for leaving, then switch to Rogers
but later you might get a Winback call from Koodo lol
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19924 posts
8025 upvotes
Toronto
Stephen9o3 wrote: When I spoke to the Koodo CSR yesterday I asked if there was any penalties or anything if I were to switch, and he said no. But now that you mention that it sounds familiar, I may have to dig up the actual paper contracts. I checked on self serve and through my bills and there's nothing to indicate I'm on the hook for anything.
What was the exact date that you signed up for this plan and got the phone? If it is August 24 or earlier, you cancellation fee is zero. You only have to pay the tab balance and the phone is yours to keep. If you signed up on August 25 or later, Koodo will have you bent over if you try leaving before 24 months. The claw back on device credits will take effect and you will be paying over MSRP for your phone. Show loyalty to your wallet. If Rogers is offering you a better deal, take it. No point begging Koodo to match. Let them beg you to come back after you have left.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes
will888 wrote: What was the exact date that you signed up for this plan and got the phone? If it is August 24 or earlier, you cancellation fee is zero. You only have to pay the tab balance and the phone is yours to keep. If you signed up on August 25 or later, Koodo will have you bent over if you try leaving before 24 months. The claw back on device credits will take effect and you will be paying over MSRP for your phone. Show loyalty to your wallet. If Rogers is offering you a better deal, take it. No point begging Koodo to match. Let them beg you to come back after you have left.
I underestimated when I said a few months; just checked and my first bill was July 6th. Good to know about that new policy!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12227 posts
11099 upvotes
Stephen9o3 wrote: I underestimated when I said a few months; just checked and my first bill was July 6th. Good to know about that new policy!
You are good to go.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: How is Rogers vs Koodo reception strength in the areas that you frequent?

If they are equal, definitely go to Rogers for their plan with more Gbs.

I have a lot of issues with Rogers/Fido reception near Union station and along my GO train route - Koodo is better for me.

Thus I couldn't go with Rogers even if they offered me the $50/15Gb winback plan.

There is no reward for loyalty to carriers - look out for yourself.

Just make sure you aren't on the hook for the full phone costs or even then, if you crunch the #s - you might still be ahead with the Rogers plan.
Live midtown and work Yonge and Bloor. Never really any service issues for either. Gonna take Rogers' offer, the 15GB will be nice. Accidentally had wifi turned off for a few days without noticing (genius, I know) and I burned through half my 7GB when my turnover isn't until Jan.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1912 posts
617 upvotes
Stephen9o3 wrote: As the title says, I switched to Koodo a few months ago, got an S9 on medium tab, paid it off and am on a BYOD plan. I am on $60/mth for 7GB and 500 minutes, also receiving a $10/mth credit as part of some promo I can't remember. I called yesterday and told them about the winback offer and they said they couldn't match it. Best they would do for me is 6GB for $55/mth with unlimited minutes. They also wanted me to pay a $10 fee for switching to this over the phone, even though they confirmed it wasn't possible to do in self serve, only on the phone. After a lot of resistance and the rep saying he has to trick the system and could lose is job (load of BS I'm sure), they agreed to waive it.

Rogers is more likely to increase your montly price.. E.g. for Internet they do it practicslky evrry half year for $3 or so

Koodo, even if busted recently, is not known to increase prices often
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes
Was supposed to get a call back for the offer... never called me back.Neutral Face
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3320 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Stephen9o3 wrote: Was supposed to get a call back for the offer... never called me back.Neutral Face
Wait till boxing day and make the call. They will probably have a better offer!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5852 posts
2218 upvotes
GTEH!
Stephen9o3 wrote: Was supposed to get a call back for the offer... never called me back.Neutral Face
That's Robbers for you..............Promises they can't keep.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5852 posts
2218 upvotes
GTEH!

Why did you leave Robbers?
It's a good deal $50/15GB. Unless you don't want to go back for whatever reason.
😎
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
52 posts
66 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Why did you leave Robbers?
It's a good deal $50/15GB. Unless you don't want to go back for whatever reason.
Switched to Koodo because of better BYOD plans. And Walmart had a good deal in the summer for free S9 plus + giftcards on a medium tab (which I later paid off).

Rogers (actually an agent acting on their behalf) called me back today, same guy as before. He apologized and said he was sick last Thursday then has some days off. Just agreed to their winback offer:

$50/15GB, no contract/expiry. Activation fee waived, just have to pay $10 for new SIM card.
Jul 16, 2009
141 posts
31 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Talk to Loyalty and see if they will match Rogers offer. I did that with the $50/15GB Fido winback offer. I ended up getting $45 for 10GB with Koodo.
Telus $30/25GB x 4 + $25/25GB x 1
Telus $35 - Pick 7 & Crave/Movies/HBO/Netflix combo + $40 Internet 150