Computers & Electronics

Switched to rogers ignite with band steering - Smart plugs can't connect anymore?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 12:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1367 posts
531 upvotes

Switched to rogers ignite with band steering - Smart plugs can't connect anymore?

Hello all,

Recently switched to Rogers Ignite modem that comes with band steering, but noticed that my Smart Plugs will not connect anymore. They do say that they need 2.4 to work, but I thought band steering allows each device to connect as if it was either 2.4 or 5g? Do I really have to turn off band steering to ger my smart devices to work?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4736 posts
2179 upvotes
GTA
240sxer wrote: Do I really have to turn off band steering to ger my smart devices to work?
Yes
Sep 30, 2015
292 posts
78 upvotes
York, ON
I have all kinds connecting to 2.4 on my ignite modem (on band steering), such as printer, harmony hub, etc. but I do not have smart plug. Have to talked to the Rogers service people? they maybe able to help. Can you move the smart plug closer to the modem to see if it works? Did you install the free pods from Rogers to extend the range?
Jan 3, 2012
661 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I had recently switched to Rogers Ignite and that XB7 gateway gave me the same problems with various home devices that needed to run on the 2.4G Hz band. Rogers csr was of no help so I just reverted the XB7 back to factory setting and reinstalled, but this time creating two separate bands ( 5Ghz and 2,4Ghz) effectively disabling band steering. I left the 5Ghz band with the same ssid and password as before ( on my legacy Hitron Rogers modem) and a separate ssid and password for the 2.4 Ghz band, Now everything works, obviously running those 2.4Ghz devices on the new 2.4 Ghz ssid.
I do not use or need the pods so do not need the band steering. Rogers somehow do not offer us this solution right off the bat when I had first set it up and in effect discouraged disabling band steering.
There is another discussion here earlier with same problem

does-anyone-rogers-xb7-ignite-gateway-g ... #p34420117
Mar 1, 2009
148 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
anyone else encountering problems here? I have the modem broadcasting both 2.4ghz & 5ghz with different SSID names. A lot of different devices are able to connect to the 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but certain ones are having trouble, such as my smart plugs and chromecast. The apps involved to connect them to the wifi (Smart Life and Google Home) just can't find them at all (yes, my phone is connected to the 2.4ghz while trying to set them up).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2883 posts
1552 upvotes
London
its most likely that those modem router combos provided by isps are trash and aren't very good for wifi. u would be better off buying a quality router and have rogers set the modem to bridge mode.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7083 posts
7727 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: its most likely that those modem router combos provided by isps are trash and aren't very good for wifi. u would be better off buying a quality router and have rogers set the modem to bridge mode.
You can set it yourself, no need to get Rogers to do this

Set up bridge mode on your modem
Bridging your modem allows you to use a third-party router and disables the modem’s Wi-Fi capability.
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... ridgemodem
Sep 30, 2015
292 posts
78 upvotes
York, ON
aaron158 wrote: its most likely that those modem router combos provided by isps are trash and aren't very good for wifi. u would be better off buying a quality router and have rogers set the modem to bridge mode.
I find nothing wrong with Rogers ignite router and 3 free pods. They even give me strong signal on the front and back yard.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4627 posts
1263 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: its most likely that those modem router combos provided by isps are trash and aren't very good for wifi.
No problem on mine. I switched to Rogers and have been using their modem/router since around 2014. Stable connection, good wifi speed and good range.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12422 posts
7007 upvotes
Brampton
Band steering is usually implemented poorly.
Best bet just set separate 2.4 and 5ghz networks and manually connect to them.

Band steering usually works best when you're in an multi AP environment that has a controller.