• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 11:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2786 posts
1610 upvotes

Switching from premixed to powdered formula - what do I need to know

My 3 month old is on enfamil premixed formula but we are at the point now to switch to kirkland sensitive powdered formula.

We have never mixed powdered formula. What do I need to know?

I will buy a pot specifically to boil her water for the milk because I dont want to use the regular pot we use for cooking.

I assume we need to boil the water, let the water cool to room temp by itself, then mix the formula and keep in the fridge? Or do you boil the water, cool down and mix it when she is ready to eat? How long can we keep mixed formula in and out of the fridge?

Thanks guys, I am hoping she takes to it because we will go broke buying enfamil!
REMOVED BY MOD
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2421 posts
957 upvotes
Quebec
I suggest you buy demineralized water instead of boiled water

Then you do
2 ounces of water per 1 teaspoon of powder ( the teaspoon is inside the powered box)

Then shake it a lot to be sure it’s well mixed
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2786 posts
1610 upvotes
ratatapa wrote: I suggest you buy demineralized water instead of boiled water

Then you do
2 ounces of water per 1 teaspoon of powder ( the teaspoon is inside the powered box)

Then shake it a lot to be sure it’s well mixed
where can I get that water? is that distilled water?
REMOVED BY MOD
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2421 posts
957 upvotes
Quebec
riseagainstthemachine wrote: weird. from what I can see in ontario we dont have that here. Even the presidents choice brand one that you linked is not available here at loblaws.
But yeah sterile water should be fine
Jul 28, 2019
83 posts
28 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: weird. from what I can see in ontario we dont have that here. Even the presidents choice brand one that you linked is not available here at loblaws.
You should be able to get some distilled water there somewhere. It's the same thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2786 posts
1610 upvotes
disgruntledmama wrote: You should be able to get some distilled water there somewhere. It's the same thing.
ah ok. So just use that, no need to boil then?
REMOVED BY MOD
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
We boil the water in a kettle, pour it in a measuring cup to cool, then pour it into bottles in the portions we use. We leave the bottles on the counter (with lids on) and when ready to use we just toss the powder in and shake. This makes it super easy to just grab a couple and go. My wife finds a funnel easier to get the powder in the bottles, I just use the scoop (since the bottle is clean) but can admit if you're doing it one handed a funnel is nicer.

You'll want to buy little containers to hold powder inside for on the go - or if you're OK with switching brands of powder Enfamil makes "to go" style packs where they have a pre-portioned amount of powder inside a small pack (and you'll pay for the convenience). The hard part is getting most of the powder from the container to the bottle (unless you have a funnel with you).

We boiled our bottles/nipples/lids the first time we got them and did not boil them after. Just washed in hot water like the rest of our dishes.

Whatever they do not eat within 1 hour we throw out (I think that's the time on the label). Powder is relatively cheap and we are not going to stretch it - I assume one of the problems is the bacteria from the baby contaminating the bottle/nipple/etc. so that's why the time limit is short.

Here is what Enfamil says about type of water to use:
The Canadian Paediatric Society, Health Canada and Dietitians of Canada state that unsoftened tap water, well water meeting established standards of safety, and commercially bottled non-carbonated water (natural spring water drawn from underground springs, and treated water with low mineral content), are suitable for infants. If your baby is younger than 4 months, Health Canada recommends boiling the water for use in mixing formula for 2 minutes.

I assume they are wanting you not to use distilled water so that your child still gets electrolytes, because they are specifically advocating most of types of water and not making a mention of distilled.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2421 posts
957 upvotes
Quebec
natalka wrote: You should be boiling water, then cooling it before mixing it with the powdered formula.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... rmula.html

Sterile Water that you buy in shop does not ave to be boiled

But if you get water at home then yes you have to boil it

I personnel dont recommand using home water, and just buy water bottles sterilized instead
Apr 24, 2017
123 posts
41 upvotes
We used to just make formula for the day instead of per feed time. Boil water, let it cool to warm, and then mix desired amount to water. Pour out first feed into a bottle, and the rest goes in the fridge when it completely cools down.

When we went out, we portion out what we needed for the outing
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1788 posts
1120 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Lots of different ways, some of the recommendations may have changed from when my kids were babies.

The recommendations was NOT distilled water. Something about since there are no minerals, it leaches good stuff out of y Ur body. There was a recommendation for people not to drink distilled water. I researched it for a bit, it made sense, so I no longer drink distilled water. There may be new recommendations now.

For making formula from a powder.
- you do NOT need to buy any special kettle or separate pot as as you clean you pots well. Boiling for a few minutes will suffice.
- I believe once the baby has drank out of the bottle, you should throw out after an hour or two (can’t rememberthe exact recommendation)

For convenience, especially middle of night I used to do the following
-boil water and put it in a thermos, this will be good for 24 hours, you may do it twice a day do ending how much formal baby drinks
- when it’s time to feed measure out the water, heat up 1/3 to 1/2 the amount in the microwave to warm it, add the measured put formula, shake up, then add the rest of the non heated water from the thermos and give another shake. I found heating a little water up and putting in the bottle dissolved the powdered better so you don’t have the little chunks stuck to the very bottom, and the. Adding the remaining none heated water cools it quicker so you don’t have to wait.

-for going out, I would boil my water just before going out, put it in the thermos hot, premeasure and put it in bottle, if I was going out for a longer time, I would put a second premeasure don’t amount in the little Tupperware midget minis which was a perfect size and seal. Then I would mis it up when needed,

I seldomly misused all my formula and put it in the fridge. Do whatever you find convient.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.