• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2019 3:58 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes

Switching from Public Mobile to Lucky Mobile

Evening everyone,
I'm hoping to touch base with some Lucky Mobile subscribers to confirm a couple of questions before I leave Public Mobile. I've been dropping calls like mad on PM and I'm tired of it. So, before I get into it, I know the towers are owned by Bell, I know the coverage will be the same, but the calling may be different.

1) I know it connects to the 4G network, but it is apparently capped at 3G "like" speeds - same as PM. (Translation: nothing near actual 3G speeds, more like 3MB up/down). That said, can anyone confirm that this is still the case in mid-2019? Are the speeds still capped at 3mb?

2) Can anyone confirm what network is being used when making a call. On PM, we are connected to LTE, but the second I make a call, it drops to H+ because PM does not have access to LTE calling. Does Lucky remain on the LTE network during a call? I'm not looking for the "Yes, Lucky uses LTE", I'm looking for someone who understands cell networks and can confirm what network it calls on". I believe this is where my issues stem from as Bell subscribers would have priority to the network and especially of third rate subscribers from a budget brand freeloading off of their towers.

3) If you switch your phone off of the LTE network and force it to 3G, are the data speeds quicker? On PM, when I do this, the speeds I get are 10-25Mb which are true 3G speeds. It's only throttled when on the LTE network that I get the 3mb up/down. Is this the same on PM?

Thank you!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
1. Still capped at 3. Identical speed down and up as PM. This I did test using same phone.

2. Switched to 3G during call.

3. Unsure never tried, don’t have much data to kill, maybe next month :)
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes
Thank you for that!

The one question I was hoping not to hear, was that it switches to 3G as I'm fairly certain that's where my issue comes from. Now, PM is leeching off of Bell towers, so I suspect Bell would give more priority to it's own brand, than PM when it comes to needing to drop a call, so the experience "may" be better. That said, if it's still dropping to 3G and capacity is capacity...my experience may be no different.

The weird issue is that I can talk to the rest of my family on PM's service as much as I want and the calls never drop. When I call any other number, landline or cell, I drop calls non-stop between 3 and 6PM (peak time). PM says that as long as I get a connection, the tower would not kick me off during a call to let a Bell subscriber on, but I somehow doubt that. I'm 99% convinced that it is an issue that PM is causing, but the techs blamed my phone, even though I told them it's happening to all 5 accounts I have setup for my family which are located on 2 completely different cities (Ottawa and Barrie).

Losing my mind when these calls drop so frequently. It will literally drop 20 times in a 15 minute period. GAH!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1127 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
csaindon wrote: Thank you for that!

The one question I was hoping not to hear, was that it switches to 3G as I'm fairly certain that's where my issue comes from. Now, PM is leeching off of Bell towers, so I suspect Bell would give more priority to it's own brand, than PM when it comes to needing to drop a call, so the experience "may" be better. That said, if it's still dropping to 3G and capacity is capacity...my experience may be no different.

The weird issue is that I can talk to the rest of my family on PM's service as much as I want and the calls never drop. When I call any other number, landline or cell, I drop calls non-stop between 3 and 6PM (peak time). PM says that as long as I get a connection, the tower would not kick me off during a call to let a Bell subscriber on, but I somehow doubt that. I'm 99% convinced that it is an issue that PM is causing, but the techs blamed my phone, even though I told them it's happening to all 5 accounts I have setup for my family which are located on 2 completely different cities (Ottawa and Barrie).

Losing my mind when these calls drop so frequently. It will literally drop 20 times in a 15 minute period. GAH!
My wife has an iPhone 7 with Public Mobile and she has had zero call drops.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19455 posts
8936 upvotes
Oakville
csaindon wrote: The weird issue is that I can talk to the rest of my family on PM's service as much as I want and the calls never drop. When I call any other number, landline or cell, I drop calls non-stop between 3 and 6PM (peak time). PM says that as long as I get a connection, the tower would not kick me off during a call to let a Bell subscriber on, but I somehow doubt that. I'm 99% convinced that it is an issue that PM is causing, but the techs blamed my phone, even though I told them it's happening to all 5 accounts I have setup for my family which are located on 2 completely different cities (Ottawa and Barrie).

Bell would be stupid to mess around with their tower-sharing agreement like this, because then Telus would just do the same thing to them out west where Bell is using their towers (and also, if they got caught, it would probably cost them millions of dollars in lawsuits from Telus, the CRTC, and class action). And it also would make no sense for Bell to happily let you call people on the PM network with zero problems, but then disconnect you when you call non-PM numbers. If anything, they'd want to mess with those calls the MOST, because then it's *two* PM subscribers seeing trouble with the network. It sounds more like an issue routing calls outside of the PM network, on PM's side. Are *all* of your family members seeing these drops for calls to non-PM numbers between 3 and 6pm? In both Ottawa and Barrie? Also, why would 3-6pm be considered "peak time"? I guess it's peak time for school kids, but most people are at work till at least 5.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
csaindon wrote: Thank you for that!

I can concur that in the boonies where there is only 3G, I had constant service (2-4 bars) whereas my wife that’s on Telus had been switching from no service to 1 bar at all times as it tried to connect to Bell EXT. We have the exact same phone. However where there’s LTE the signal and strength is the same. I’m also certain that Bell subs get preference but only on 3G network from personal experience.

As for drop calls. Yes I can concur as well it only started to occur this month for me. I’ll get 2 drops on 30 min call. And calls were to Koodo and Telus customers. So I’m unsure if it’s PM or entire network. And yes it only happens between 3-7 for me. I was on the phone yesterday at 6:30, different tower and it dropped the call to a Koodo customer).

Side note: PM has been my primary service for a while and only this month I’m having issues same as you, I’ve had Lucky but I haven’t used it extensively. I use it for occasional calls/browsing/messages. Seems to be good just can’t provide a full review since I don’t use it as heavy as PM
Apr 25, 2019
309 posts
482 upvotes
If you are wanting to switch to Lucky ASAP. Pick up a SIM card at Dollarama for $4. Yesterday they announced a partnership between Bell and Dollarama to sell Lucky and Virgin SIM cards.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
LeifS39303 wrote: If you are wanting to switch to Lucky ASAP. Pick up a SIM card at Dollarama for $4. Yesterday they announced a partnership between Bell and Dollarama to sell Lucky and Virgin SIM cards.
Or get it for 99cents off eBay. Get the seller to send you sim number via private eBay messaging if you want to activate right away and wait few days for physical sim and save $3. This is RFD after all :)
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes
Haha, thanks guys.

I actually ran out during my lunch to Dollarama to grab a card since I saw the announcement yesterday. Gonna sign up with a temp number and do some testing on the calling...
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes
$4 is nothing to avoid the hassle of activating in store and standing there for 20 minutes. I'd happily pay $10 to avoid that.
Apr 25, 2019
309 posts
482 upvotes
The discounted SIM card is for you to take home and DIY activate yourself..... Do you think Dollarama has staff to help you with activating in store? Not likely.....
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19868 posts
7987 upvotes
Toronto
The dropped call thing is a known issue with the Public Mobile service that is being investigated. They didn't mention the types of calls experiencing disconnects. Nice to know that it's calls with other service providers. Those affected should seek service credits once the problem is resolved. There's no reason customers should pay full price for a broken service.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/363962
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Nov 16, 2013
365 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
csaindon wrote: Evening everyone,
I'm hoping to touch base with some Lucky Mobile subscribers to confirm a couple of questions before I leave Public Mobile. I've been dropping calls like mad on PM and I'm tired of it. So, before I get into it, I know the towers are owned by Bell, I know the coverage will be the same, but the calling may be different.

1) I know it connects to the 4G network, but it is apparently capped at 3G "like" speeds - same as PM. (Translation: nothing near actual 3G speeds, more like 3MB up/down). That said, can anyone confirm that this is still the case in mid-2019? Are the speeds still capped at 3mb?

2) Can anyone confirm what network is being used when making a call. On PM, we are connected to LTE, but the second I make a call, it drops to H+ because PM does not have access to LTE calling. Does Lucky remain on the LTE network during a call? I'm not looking for the "Yes, Lucky uses LTE", I'm looking for someone who understands cell networks and can confirm what network it calls on". I believe this is where my issues stem from as Bell subscribers would have priority to the network and especially of third rate subscribers from a budget brand freeloading off of their towers.

3) If you switch your phone off of the LTE network and force it to 3G, are the data speeds quicker? On PM, when I do this, the speeds I get are 10-25Mb which are true 3G speeds. It's only throttled when on the LTE network that I get the 3mb up/down. Is this the same on PM?

Thank you!
Did you end up staying with Lucky? How is it? I came to PM around the time the dropped call issue started for many folks. After they said it was resolved, I was good for about a month but I'm back to dropping calls. The PM mods are asking me to list numbers and providers that I'm dropping calls with which is such a load of b.s. because the only common denominator is ME. Used the same phone on Telus for 2 years and not a single dropped call. Thinking it's time to switch and Lucky's plans look comparable.