Credit Cards

Switching TD Credit Card - any hit on credit score?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 7:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
1224 posts
807 upvotes

Switching TD Credit Card - any hit on credit score?

I am thinking of switching my free "terrible" TD Rewards Visa to possibly the Cash Back Visa Infinite.

Will they allow the switch without new application? If so, will it be a hard or soft credit check, if any?

Thanks!
15 replies
Sep 24, 2013
989 posts
695 upvotes
Ontario
barmadrid wrote: I am thinking of switching my free "terrible" TD Rewards Visa to possibly the Cash Back Visa Infinite.

Will they allow the switch without new application? If so, will it be a hard or soft credit check, if any?

Thanks!
There shouldn't be any kind credit check if you are doing a switch and the number ,expiry date and pin will stay the psame as long as you're account is in good standing.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3848 posts
4888 upvotes
Montreal
barmadrid wrote: I am thinking of switching my free "terrible" TD Rewards Visa to possibly the Cash Back Visa Infinite.

Thanks!
I've switched TD cards a few times. No hard pull.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Depends. The Cash Back Infinite has an income requirement of $60k. If you have a high spend (my guess is $25k+ per year on your TD CC), they can likely "pre-approve" you for the product change and not do a hard pull.

Since you're considering the TD CBI card, consider applying online through a special link (targetted offer) such as this one.

If you apply for a new card, they'll still be able to approve you based on your spend on your current TD card. Then once you get the new card, you can phase out the old card and transfer the CL.

These cards have such amazing activation incentives that you rather apply for the new card. Else you won't get the intro offers including FYF (you'd only get AF waiver if you have TD chq account).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
1224 posts
807 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Depends. The Cash Back Infinite has an income requirement of $60k. If you have a high spend (my guess is $25k+ per year on your TD CC), they can likely "pre-approve" you for the product change and not do a hard pull.

Since you're considering the TD CBI card, consider applying online through a special link (targetted offer) such as this one.

If you apply for a new card, they'll still be able to approve you based on your spend on your current TD card. Then once you get the new card, you can phase out the old card and transfer the CL.

These cards have such amazing activation incentives that you rather apply for the new card. Else you won't get the intro offers including FYF (you'd only get AF waiver if you have TD chq account).
Thanks everyone!

Just called and spoke with a rep. They did not offer the FYF, but had to check with their supervisor to honor it as a courtesy which I should see it on my account within 3 business days. Also, I still got the welcome 6% cash back for 3 months. No credit check and same account number!

Regarding income, they just required a yes or no answer to qualify you.

Great and easy experience!
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
barmadrid wrote: Thanks everyone!

Just called and spoke with a rep. They did not offer the FYF, but had to check with their supervisor to honor it as a courtesy which I should see it on my account within 3 business days. Also, I still got the welcome 6% cash back for 3 months. No credit check and same account number!

Regarding income, they just required a yes or no answer to qualify you.

Great and easy experience!
Good. Then it's a no-brainer. Enjoy the TD CBI...it's an awesome card :D
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1772 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote:
you'd only get AF waiver if you have TD chq account.
Where this statement come from?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
iamthebest wrote: Where this statement come from?
TD. They'll waive AF on the CBI if you have an AI chq account with them.
Jan 5, 2018
207 posts
105 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Good. Then it's a no-brainer. Enjoy the TD CBI...it's an awesome card :D
Is it really though?

I know you like to get the 3% on PAP, but PAP aside, I find it an underwhelming card for $120 AF. Its 3% cashback on G&G is not as good as the 4% offered by some cards with $99 AF. Its insurance benefits are also lacking for a card of this level. Yes if you're only using it for FYF or you get AF waiver, sure it's a fine card. But comparing it at face value with other similar cards, I don't think it's very attractive.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1772 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote: TD. They'll waive AF on the CBI if you have an AI chq account with them.
I got this offer and I don't see the condition you are talking about

Aug 7, 2015
36 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
What did you do with the points you accumulated on it? I have about 22000 on it which translates to roughly $110 if I used it for Expedia. I was considering product changing to Firs Class Infinite but I'm not sure.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
fred125 wrote: Is it really though?

I know you like to get the 3% on PAP, but PAP aside, I find it an underwhelming card for $120 AF. Its 3% cashback on G&G is not as good as the 4% offered by some cards with $99 AF. Its insurance benefits are also lacking for a card of this level. Yes if you're only using it for FYF or you get AF waiver, sure it's a fine card. But comparing it at face value with other similar cards, I don't think it's very attractive.
For me PAP is king, and TD>Laurentian. If for you G&G spend > PAP spend, then go with Meridian/Scotia/CIBC :lol:
surflife6 wrote: What did you do with the points you accumulated on it? I have about 22000 on it which translates to roughly $110 if I used it for Expedia. I was considering product changing to Firs Class Infinite but I'm not sure.
TD CBI <> FCT. I'm combo'ing both to maximize on rewards.
Jan 5, 2018
207 posts
105 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: For me PAP is king, and TD>Laurentian. If for you G&G spend > PAP spend, then go with Meridian/Scotia/CIBC :lol:
If I recall correctly, you have huge PAP because you spend crazy amounts on phone bills right?
I don't think the average person spends that much on PAP though, making the TD card somewhat underwhelming as a whole.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
fred125 wrote: If I recall correctly, you have huge PAP because you spend crazy amounts on phone bills right?
I don't think the average person spends that much on PAP though, making the TD card somewhat underwhelming as a whole.
+1

It's not the best card for everyone's spend. For most middle-class RFDers, I'd recommend Meridian, or Scotia/BMO if it's for a churn on activation incentives.