Computers & Electronics

Switching TV + Internet + Home Phone providers every two years, just to get a decent deal. How many of you do this?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 5:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17013 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto

Switching TV + Internet + Home Phone providers every two years, just to get a decent deal. How many of you do this?

So, how many of you are doing this?

Back in 2017 I couldn't negotiate anything reasonable with Rogers TV so finally I gave up and went with a decent Bell Fibe bundle. Fast forward to 2019 after my two year term is over, and I couldn't negotiate anything reasonable with Bell, so now I'm back with Rogers for their decent new customer bundle.

The stupid part in both situations is once I threaten to cancel they give me mediocre offers, which over the course of a call might get a little less mediocre, but then once I actually do cancel I might get an OK but not great offer. Meanwhile, people who are new customers are given everything. And then days or weeks later after cancellation I might get a decent retention offer, but then it's too late.

I know this is par for the course, but it's getting so damn irritating. I don't want to have to switch every two years, and yes I know that inertia is what they are counting on, but if they just make decent offers up front to those of us that actually call in, we would actually stay. I'd rather just take the best offer that's given to me and if that means switching then so be it, instead of trying to play this stupid retentions game over multiple calls all the time. A bird in the hand as they say.

/rant
22 replies
Jun 21, 2008
473 posts
112 upvotes
mississauga
mememe
i went from teksavvy to fido to cannet to rogers
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17013 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto
I was on Fido too briefly because of their 3 month free promotion a couple of years ago.

The other thing that I've noticed is that the companies always say they need to raise prices to keep up with costs, etc. but the promotions usually seem to be similarly priced in numeric amounts or lower even years later. So, sometimes it makes sense to switch providers to "reset" pricing in preparation for inevitable price hikes.

For my previous Bell promotion, the deal was X amount of dollars off normal pricing, except that pricing was raised several times over the course of the two years. For my new Rogers deal there is no contract and the pricing is fixed, but with a built-in ~10% price hike in the second year.

What I mean is that a few year ago the bundle promotions were say just under $100, but then increased to say $110-115. However, in 2019, the bundle promotions aren't starting at $115. No, they're still under $100.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:12 pm
So, how many of you are doing this?.....
When there is nice promotion for new Videotron customers,
I call and say "I am with Videotron for the second millennium, should not I get
promotion similar to new customers?" It works for me!

But you right, in many cases companies treat new customers better
than existing ones. I left Rogers in similar situation.

Cheers!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15325 posts
2227 upvotes
Toronto
I was with Bell for five years up until February 2018 and switched back to Rogers.

I told Bell loyalty that I was happy with my package and pricing and was not prepared to accept their price increase of $10/month the way I accepted them in the past. The rep didn't seem to be interested in keeping my business so I went to Rogers on an excellent TV, internet, and basic home phone deal. I know I'll be negotiating with Rogers in another year.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17013 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:22 pm
I was with Bell for five years up until February 2018 and switched back to Rogers.

I told Bell loyalty that I was happy with my package and pricing and was not prepared to accept their price increase of $10/month the way I accepted them in the past.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/24/bell ... s-up-to-6/

Bell plans to increase the pricing of its internet and TV services, according to an email sent to customers. An anonymous user sent MobileSyrup copied text of an email they received from Bell indicating that internet services will increase by $6 and for TV services, HD receiver rentals will increase by $1 as of March 1, 2019. Bell said in the email to the subscriber that it is increasing both prices because it invested $4 billion in its network infrastructure and needs to “support these investments.”
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15325 posts
2227 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:40 pm
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/24/bell ... s-up-to-6/

Bell plans to increase the pricing of its internet and TV services, according to an email sent to customers. An anonymous user sent MobileSyrup copied text of an email they received from Bell indicating that internet services will increase by $6 and for TV services, HD receiver rentals will increase by $1 as of March 1, 2019. Bell said in the email to the subscriber that it is increasing both prices because it invested $4 billion in its network infrastructure and needs to “support these investments.”
I left just before their increase last year (i.e. 2018) and was also told by the rep that these increases are to fund infrastructure upgrades. I was perfectly willing to stay with Bell on Fibe 50, 400 GB download cap, and FibeTV but didn't want to pay more than $145 with tax. I know $145 isn't considered great but I at least avoid the hassle of changing services and having to be available for the installation.

I've now set things up at home in such a way that a Rogers or Bell install should not take more than 30 minutes.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3921 posts
731 upvotes
i do this too. I wish Bell would just give in and give me the comparable offer as I prefer their FTTH and TV over Rogers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17013 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:56 pm
I left just before their increase last year (i.e. 2018) and was also told by the rep that these increases are to fund infrastructure upgrades. I was perfectly willing to stay with Bell on Fibe 50, 400 GB download cap, and FibeTV but didn't want to pay more than $145 with tax. I know $145 isn't considered great but I at least avoid the hassle of changing services and having to be available for the installation.
Yes, my Bell plan after multiple increases was just over $145 and would have gone well over $200 once the credits terminated. However, even if they kept the credits on my account (which they wouldn't do), the amount would have been closer to $155 after the spring increases. Now on Rogers my initial year will be under $120 including, plus I get a new customer sign-on credit and free Crave/HBO for a year. This is what I mean about the pricing reset. I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing is yet again the same in 2 years, after the new customer provider switch reset, again with free Crave/HBO/TMN for a period.

The sad thing is that when I called Bell about cancelling they said they could get me down to the $150 range... but it meant dropping down to 50 Mbps Fibe and lowering the TV plan. Plus, the price may increase too with the periodic price increases. I was like WTF?!?
I've now set things up at home in such a way that a Rogers or Bell install should not take more than 30 minutes.
Yes, the Bell networking setup is a little more restrictive, but I've also set up my home network to accommodate both providers, so switching between them is easy now, and fast.

The main issue is my wife complains about the change in TV interface, and the loss of pre-recorded programs. But a lot of them are garbage shows anyway, and she knows it. ;) Speaking of which, it seems a lot of her garbage shows share costume designers:

IMG_3755.png
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4812 posts
783 upvotes
Nope. Mostly a waste of my time to save a few $$$. Plus, if I like the services I have, changing makes little sense when you're likely to get worse service. Internet comes to mind.

To me, this is like people with 20 bank accounts, constantly switching their money from one spot to the next because of better rates for the next 'x' months. I don't do that either (well, I only have two ;) ).
Last edited by JustBob on Jan 7th, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17013 posts
3869 upvotes
Toronto
JustBob wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:14 pm
Nope. Mostly a waste of my time to save a few $$$. Plus, if I like the services I have, changing makes little sense when you're likely to get worse service. Internet comes to mind.
What specifically about internet?

I've had problems with Rogers, Bell, TekSavvy (using Bell's network), and Fido (using Rogers' network) alike for internet. However, none of these are as bad as what is reported for some of the super small internet providers.
Jun 21, 2008
473 posts
112 upvotes
mississauga
Same here, i only have rogers ignite internet, voip.ms ,tbaytel prepaid and fido tablet plan. SO has legacy rogers corp plan with 600 daytime min and unl.texting. Meets our needs fine. In 12 months goes back to normal and i'll bail
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4812 posts
783 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:16 pm
What specifically about internet?

I've had problems with Rogers, Bell, TekSavvy (using Bell's network), and Fido (using Rogers' network) alike for internet. However, none of these are as bad as what is reported for some of the super small internet providers.
I'm with Ebox, great service, competitive prices. To me, anything else would be a downgrade even at $10 less/month.

My overall point is that quality can be more important than price, and that constantly switching requires time/research/effort that I'd rather put somewhere else.
Last edited by JustBob on Jan 7th, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2008
473 posts
112 upvotes
mississauga
JustBob wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:14 pm

To me, this is like people with 20 bank accounts, constantly switching their money from one spot to the next because of better rates for the next 'x' months. I don't do that either (well, I only have two ;) ).
That's the thing see, it's not a little amt. i'm paying $30 plus tax p.m. And normal is $127.99 plus tax. All it took was a call from the rogers ambassador team and i was online in 15 min, i shit you not
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2765 upvotes
1. Check competition and find an acceptable offer for switching.

2. Call your current provider and say that you're calling to cancel service. They'll send you to Retentions.

3. Listen to the offer from Retentions, then say you don't know, point out ways the other offer is better - see if they'll sweeten the retention offer.

4. Decide which is your best option, and either continue with cancellation or accept the retention offer.

You can try calling your current provider first to complain about the price to see what they'll do for you, but don't expect much. Usually the regular agents aren't authorized to make retention offers, and usually they won't send you to Retentions unless you are actually calling to cancel service. But there are exceptions. Depends if you want to take a chance and waste some time on this preliminary step.

When you call to cancel, mean it. Have an alternative that you are prepared to take if you don't get the offer you want from your current provider. Being prepared to go ahead with cancellation often produces a better offer - and if it doesn't, stop wasting time and get on with it. You'll be able to come back and get new customer offers after 90 days if things don't work out with the alternative.

Sometimes your current provider will even call back with a better offer after a few days, so you might want to put your service termination a few days out. But don't expect anything.

Quite often they'll try to bill you to the end of their current billing period when you cancel, even though they know that's illegal. It's about time the government started issuing fines for that.

The best time of year for deals is often around September, because the companies are trying to boost subscriber numbers in advance of their year-end report.

Adding extra services can get you a better offer - sometimes even better than without them. The agents get extra bonuses for selling you extra services, and they can allow you to qualify for "new customer" offers even though you're an existing customer for the services you have now.