• Aug 24th, 2019 5:26 am
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3765 posts
1146 upvotes
Edmonton
andreid wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 1:43 pm
Be aware that they often cancel flights. You are rebooked at some random dates or reimbursed which is always a big loss if you have to return anyway.
This is prob our biggest fear with Swoop and Flair. Flair seems even worse. I assumed it was because the dont have a large inventory of 'spare' planes ,so if something goes wrong you're stuck.

Their prices to Florida can't be beat, and really not sure what 'frills' you get with Westjet. We get free luggage with the WC card on a westjet flight, but a couple of pretzels and a drink arent going to make or break it. Most airlines you pay for luggage anyways as well.

More interesting in seat pitch and leg room differences from other carriers.
Jun 30, 2009
90 posts
68 upvotes
Dmbpjfan wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 10:38 am
Has anyone flown with them? Thoughts? Similar to spirit?
I have been on 12 flights with swoop and at least that many with spirit over the years. I would say better than Spirit. Newer planes. Better service. Friendly etc..
Aug 15, 2017
52 posts
75 upvotes
liuj69 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:17 pm
Yes, they checked. I had a Herschel Little America Backpack and I tried my best to put it in a carry-on metal basket to measure the size.
I flew with swoop in the beginning of this year and they did make sure my school backpack fits in the size. The luggage is where they make money given the travel charges are already low cost.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7978 posts
1063 upvotes
U4IA wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 10:01 am
This is prob our biggest fear with Swoop and Flair. Flair seems even worse. I assumed it was because the dont have a large inventory of 'spare' planes ,so if something goes wrong you're stuck.

Their prices to Florida can't be beat, and really not sure what 'frills' you get with Westjet. We get free luggage with the WC card on a westjet flight, but a couple of pretzels and a drink arent going to make or break it. Most airlines you pay for luggage anyways as well.

More interesting in seat pitch and leg room differences from other carriers.
Swoop's got a rep for cancelling/delaying lots of their flights. One of my friends flew Swoop from Hamilton to Edmonton and back to attend a conference and he said it was the worst experience he's ever had. Flight to Edmonton was delayed by 12 hours, and the flight back home was pushed back by a day and Swoop refused to give him any form of compensation so he's never flying with them again.

Also I've read Swoop's office and customer service department isn't even open on weekends so if you're on a weekend flight and there are delays/cancellations, they won't have anyone to help you and you're on your own.

But to be fair, AC and Westjet are both pretty shitty with regards to delays too and AC Rouge is just pure trash but you're paying regular AC prices.

You get what you pay for, personally I'll rather pay a bit more for better quality service but options in Canada are slim to none.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3765 posts
1146 upvotes
Edmonton
Winkle wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:17 am
Swoop's got a rep for cancelling/delaying lots of their flights. One of my friends flew Swoop from Hamilton to Edmonton and back to attend a conference and he said it was the worst experience he's ever had. Flight to Edmonton was delayed by 12 hours, and the flight back home was pushed back by a day and Swoop refused to give him any form of compensation so he's never flying with them again.

Also I've read Swoop's office and customer service department isn't even open on weekends so if you're on a weekend flight and there are delays/cancellations, they won't have anyone to help you and you're on your own.

But to be fair, AC and Westjet are both pretty shitty with regards to delays too and AC Rouge is just pure trash but you're paying regular AC prices.

You get what you pay for, personally I'll rather pay a bit more for better quality service but options in Canada are slim to none.
We havent had any delays or issues with Westjet, but do know people who have, and it was pretty bad communication and long waits. Especially if it happens out of Canada, in a terminal with basically no wesjet customer service booth.

We had a Delta flight with mechanical issues, but they brought in another plane and I think we were only delayed in the terminal a few hours.

Our last flight to Burbank with American Airlines, there was a mechanical problem , and they rebooked us on a different flight the next morning, paid for a hotel stay, and still got us there early enough not to miss anything.

But, sometimes I think it's more luck than anything. That being said, if the call centers cant even bother to be open, then I guess that sums up the sort of service you can expect.
Nov 7, 2017
183 posts
120 upvotes
Edmonton
Winkle wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:17 am

Last month, my flight with Swoop was also delayed by 6 hours but they emailed me one day ahead and allowed me to change, so I changed to another day.
Aug 13, 2019
17 posts
36 upvotes
LOL I was booked on WOW to fly to Iceland the day it shut down. I was monitoring the situation and booked myself a refundable ticket on Icelandair the day before and that saved my trip.

Anyway, given that unpleasant experience I still don't have any qualms flying no-frill airlines like Swoop. The key is to manage expectations and know what your level of risk tolerance:

1. What is the flight gets cancelled? While it is unpleasant for sure, how disastrous would this mean. I would not book Swoop if I absolutely need to be some place at a certain time, e.g., weddings, cruise embarkation ports.
2. Understand that the cost is low because it is unbundled service. Your fare basically only covers the plane seat you are on. Want food, it is extra; want water, extra; carry-on, extra. For me it is not an issue and I save money because I don't need those amenities. And even if I pay for checked luggage, it's still cheaper than flying with Air Canada.

For the person asking about the difference between for-fee carry-on and free personal item - it's not the type (backpack v. something else). But the size. For Swoop, it has to be less than 41cm X 15 cm X 33 cm and fit under the seat in front of you. So if your backpack fits those two criteria, it will be considered a personal item that can be brought for free. Each airline is different so before flying with an airline, check.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31372 posts
2774 upvotes
Winnipeg
xerane wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:28 pm
personal item = purse/ small backpack/ laptop bag you put under your seat
carry-on = large duffel / small suitcase you put in the storage above
i usually put my backpack in the storage above.
May 6, 2010
155 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Flew with Swoop last Sept from Hamil to Abbots and back the same way. No hassle with delays or cancellations. My flight was on time both ways.
On board staff although didn't see much of em were nice.
They are a bit crazy when it comes to walking within the lines on the tarmac and taking pictures of the plane which I found weird but w/e
Leg room is non-existent and you better get to know your neighbour well cuz you'll be in their space while seated. I had an aisle seat and I still felt stuffed. Wouldn't recommend Swoop for more than a 4-5hr trip.
The pilot was nice enough to point out the Northern Lights during my return trip as it was somewhat visible during our flight. Pretty good since I've always wanted and still do want to see them.
I took a camera bag as a personal item. I found the bag dimensions in advance and a friend of mine works for Swoop and asked him about the dimensions and he said it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't need to check the bag in the holder so didn't receive any hassles at all with that regard. The bag was big enough to hold my camera, an extra lens, Nintendo Switch, Ipad, and an extra pair of clothes plus some snacks.

Depending on where I am going I wouldn't mind flying Swoop again. Long journeys i'd avoid budget airlines
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9294 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
can we use this app outside of swoop air??? never fly them yet, but wondering if I can watch some on flight movies from home
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Nov 20, 2017
755 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:32 pm
can we use this app outside of swoop air??? never fly them yet, but wondering if I can watch some on flight movies from home
How about try yourself and see?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1592 posts
271 upvotes
Vaughan
I've never heard of this airline before. Those who have used them in the past, have you purchased cancellation insurance? How would that work if they cancel the flight or the company goes bankrupt or whatever reason the flight i book doesn't actually happen? I wouldn't mind trying this for a cheap winter vacation. If I can minimize my financial risk to $0 (minus insurance cost), I may give this a go.