• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 5:26 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 10:17 am
Swoop planes don't have in flight entertainment, just in case you didn't know, but they had paid wifi.
More and more airlines are moving to this model. In flight entertainment is expensive to install so they're moving to app based.
If for some reason someone doesn't have a mobile device, you can rent one which is another revenue stream for the airline.

That said, I was recently on Air Transat and their in flight entertainment was SLICK.

Westjet sucks because you can't download the app on the flight. You have to do it before you take off.
I would imagine Swoop is similar if they're owned by Westjet.
Air Canada you can download in the air (assuming you don't mind side loading, no downloading from the official store)
Winkle wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 3:53 pm
Keep in mind that Swoop charges for everything including water although use of the bathroom is still free at least.
Ryanair apparently tried charging for the terlet. It didn't go over well.
Also I get this is ultra low cost, but water should definitely be free.
Longobongo wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:30 pm
Layering several pairs of shirts/shorts sounds like the RFD way to go.
I'm a terrible RFDer and I'd rather pay the $70 round trip for comfort.
akito925 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:32 pm
can we use this app outside of swoop air??? never fly them yet, but wondering if I can watch some on flight movies from home
Nope. The server is on the plane.
There's nothing to connect to outside of the flight.

The (Westjet not sure about Swoop) app still works, but in other ways.
There's no way to watch anything.
Nov 7, 2017
144 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
d_source wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:57 pm
I've never heard of this airline before. Those who have used them in the past, have you purchased cancellation insurance? How would that work if they cancel the flight or the company goes bankrupt or whatever reason the flight i book doesn't actually happen? I wouldn't mind trying this for a cheap winter vacation. If I can minimize my financial risk to $0 (minus insurance cost), I may give this a go.
If they cancelled the flight, they will email you to change to another day for free.
The cancellation insurance is for your reason to cancel or change if you changed your travel plan.
Nov 24, 2006
336 posts
183 upvotes
Winnipeg
d_source wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:57 pm
I've never heard of this airline before. Those who have used them in the past, have you purchased cancellation insurance? How would that work if they cancel the flight or the company goes bankrupt or whatever reason the flight i book doesn't actually happen? I wouldn't mind trying this for a cheap winter vacation. If I can minimize my financial risk to $0 (minus insurance cost), I may give this a go.
Swoop is owned by Westjet, so I don't think they'll go bankrupt. I assume if they decided to stop operating, Westjet is still on the hook for refunding fares.
Nov 25, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
Surrey, BC
I’ve flown the Hamilton Abbotsford round trip a bunch the price makes it worth it for me. Def bring an empty water bottle though. Has anyone flown from Florida? I’m flying out of Orlando but I have never had issues w taking a personal item on the Canadian side - I have a Herschel bag pack though - so don’t want to really pay 40 dollars for it st the game to be a carry on
Nov 3, 2006
115 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
HSKCanuck wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:45 am
I’ve flown the Hamilton Abbotsford round trip a bunch the price makes it worth it for me. Def bring an empty water bottle though. Has anyone flown from Florida? I’m flying out of Orlando but I have never had issues w taking a personal item on the Canadian side - I have a Herschel bag pack though - so don’t want to really pay 40 dollars for it st the game to be a carry on
I flew from Hamilton to Fort Lauderdale and back not too long ago. I took a backpack (I think it's larger than an average Herschel) and shoved it under the seat. Didn't pay anything for it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30751 posts
2572 upvotes
Winnipeg
lulwut? they actually charge for water? is that even legal? when will they expand into other provinces that currently have no service?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2878 posts
1199 upvotes
Waterloo
Hey everyone! I don't fly much. If I fly out of Hamilton or London, anyone have suggestions on a cheap short vacation (3-4 days)?
I've ruled out Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun.

I assume Vegas would be kinda expensive (taking into account hotels, attractions, food)?
What about flying to Fort Lauderdale and then going to Miami? Is Miami expensive?
Oct 14, 2017
485 posts
335 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:31 pm
Hey everyone! I don't fly much. If I fly out of Hamilton or London, anyone have suggestions on a cheap short vacation (3-4 days)?
I've ruled out Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun.

I assume Vegas would be kinda expensive (taking into account hotels, attractions, food)?
What about flying to Fort Lauderdale and then going to Miami? Is Miami expensive?
What types of activities do you enjoy? If you like beaches, then go with Miami (although accommodation there can be a bit expensive so book early). I would argue that if just looking at hotels, attractions, and food, Vegas is not that expensive - again if you gamble a lot then yeah you will spend a lot of money but there are tons of hotels that are at a reasonable price. If you rent a car in Vegas you could also take a look at staying a bit off strip (there are some hotels off strip that offer a free strip shuttle) and also driving around the nearby area for attractions like Zion National Park.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4981 posts
1999 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For those who are planning to buy 2 x 1 way tickets, don't.
The back ticket is in USD and it ended up cost more than buying round trip ticket.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3573 posts
859 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:45 pm
For those who are planning to buy 2 x 1 way tickets, don't.
The back ticket is in USD and it ended up cost more than buying round trip ticket.
If the return flight is from a Canadian location, it will be charged in CAD.
Jun 19, 2019
371 posts
207 upvotes
"Centre of the …
Jimboski wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 10:17 am
Swoop planes don't have in flight entertainment,

Create Some. Just don't perturb the Air Marshalls.

θθ"tekram ot tnew yggip elttil sihT"
mudnurobrac non imitigellI
LEM
Jun 19, 2019
371 posts
207 upvotes
"Centre of the …
xerane wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:28 pm
personal item = purse/ small backpack/ laptop bag you put under your seat
carry-on = large duffel / small suitcase you put in the storage above
Dimensions and Prices
θθ"tekram ot tnew yggip elttil sihT"
mudnurobrac non imitigellI
LEM
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3573 posts
859 upvotes
I’m flying to Las Vegas today from Abbotsford on Swoop.

Flight was supposed to leave at 450pm. First it was delayed to 540pm, and now it’s 630pm.
Sep 8, 2008
188 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
Does swoop charges for printing boarding passes?
I recently booked through Flair. Flair charges for printing boarding pass for $10 per passenger per trip so that comes to $20 per passenger with return trip . IMO this is a rip off
If this topic seems to benefit RFDers then Upvote the original post by clicking on Upvote button located next to the topic title on top section of the post.