Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1209 posts
1004 upvotes

Direct from Toronto to Cancun, Mexico $274 Return

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Swoop
Pretty good deal on a short escape to Mexico over the winter.

Example dates
23rd-28th Jan
24th Mar – 2nd Apr
26th Mar – 2nd Apr
7th-21st Apr

possibly more…
52 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18642 posts
17653 upvotes
Toronto
just be sure you're ok if they leave you stranded

https://globalnews.ca/news/5821441/pass ... eg-flight/

also

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Crime
There was a significant increase in violent crime, including homicides, kidnappings and extortions nationwide in 2018 in Mexico. This includes the states of:

Baja California Sur (Los Cabos)
Jalisco (Puerto Vallarta)
Quintana Roo (Cancun and Playa del Carmen)
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8003 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Even if they provided bullet proof vests and anti-rape devices, I wouldn't return to Cancun again. Too much criminal activity.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10790 posts
10890 upvotes
Hard pass, bring on the Singapore, Orlando, Houston, and SE Asian deals again.

10 years ago, I would've been very attracted to this deal.
May 20, 2003
433 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Great price for a trip to Cancun out of Hamilton for those loosing for Cancun trips.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7950 posts
1022 upvotes
Also keep in mind that Swoop's offices are closed on Sundays, so don't pick a Sunday flight cuz if anything happens and you need to call their customer service you're SoL and entirely on your own.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3276 posts
1699 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 12:14 pm
just be sure you're ok if they leave you stranded

https://globalnews.ca/news/5821441/pass ... eg-flight/

also

Crime
There was a significant increase in violent crime, including homicides, kidnappings and extortions nationwide in 2018 in Mexico. This includes the states of:

Baja California Sur (Los Cabos)
Jalisco (Puerto Vallarta)
Quintana Roo (Cancun and Playa del Carmen)
All you need is this...COLD DEAL

RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9530 posts
678 upvotes
Muskoka
My family spent 2 months in Playa Del Carmen and area in 2018, and returned again this year, we never felt even remotely unsafe. Crime is increasing there, but it is mainly gang to gang violence, and stupid tourists being where they shouldn't be, doing things they shouldn't be.
Mar 20, 2008
170 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
I just returned from there yesterday. My flight was full.

if you're too scared to go down there, just lock yourself up in your house and dont go outside.

i go 2-3 times a year, most of the people posting stats of crime will never trip down there anyway, not sure why they try to convince and fear others not to go.

Still better than any cuba or dominican trip. Mind your own business down there and dont get into shady drug deal.

This is my 8th time down there and ive never felt NOT safe. Most of the population there are hard working, come from other parts of mexico just for a job. If it wasnt for the tourists buying drugs and getting into shady deals it'd be better.
Feb 10, 2018
102 posts
180 upvotes
Been to Mexico many times, have many Mexican friends, learn the truth about the crime,
as tourist and or expats the gang violence has no interest in you !

every place and area has there bad and anything can happen anywhere, More chance of being injured on the drive to a southern Ontario airport than most tourist destinations

great price but I wouldn't fly swoop if they were paying me
Mar 23, 2017
250 posts
152 upvotes
Canada
We went there last week and never felt unsafe.
Dec 21, 2017
98 posts
122 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 8:59 am
My family spent 2 months in Playa Del Carmen and area in 2018, and returned again this year, we never felt even remotely unsafe. Crime is increasing there, but it is mainly gang to gang violence, and stupid tourists being where they shouldn't be, doing things they shouldn't be.
That's what they used to say about Acapulco until the gangs lost control and had it out in the crowds regardless of tourist and locals. Cheap place to vacation; just need to decide what your own risk tolerance is. Then again mass shootings are propping everywhere in the US.
Dec 29, 2017
158 posts
78 upvotes
Swoop will probably be out of business by March, too bad reviews are so poor. I like the idea of a good Hamilton discount airline.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13317 posts
1641 upvotes
Mississauga
consumerPI wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 5:25 pm
Even if they provided bullet proof vests and anti-rape devices, I wouldn't return to Cancun again. Too much criminal activity.
Really? or is it just media-hype?