Travel

Swoop flight change due to COVID19 - how to get a refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 10:00 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17593 posts
4572 upvotes
Toronto

Flight Cancelled by Swoop - Anyone able to get a refund?

Just received an email this morning that my flight from Hamilton to Abbotsford was cancelled as a result of COVID19 flight changes they're making.

They gave me the option to accept the morning flight instead of my evening flight or cancel for a "credit" that expires in 2 years.

Since this is an involuntary change, before I try, was anyone able to get the refund directly from Swoop? Otherwise I'll likely file a credit card chargeback on the grounds that the flight I booked was cancelled
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
44 replies
Mar 14, 2016
152 posts
150 upvotes
Ontario
Their policy says credits only - I cancelled mine too and just got a credit and not a refund.
Qui Tacet Consentire Videtur
Mar 14, 2016
152 posts
150 upvotes
Ontario
So I dug into this more - in case we need more ammo to make a charge back. Their Flight Interruptions page (https://www.flyswoop.com/flight-interruptions/) says this:

Schedule changes
Changes to flights within three (3) days (72 hours) of departure are referred to as flight delays or cancellations. Schedule changes are adjustments to flight times and destinations which may apply to flights departing more than three (3) days (72 hours) prior to departure, including weeks or months in advance of departure. Unfortunately, even though we prefer not to make schedule changes, they do happen. Generally, schedule changes are made because of adjustments to air traffic routes, airport requests, construction at airport facilities, security constraints, market forces and so on.

Should you experience a schedule change, Swoop will make every effort to contact you in a timely manner to advise you of a change. Email notification will contain information about your new flight itinerary and instructions on how to make a change or decline the new itinerary and request a refund.

You can also review our domestic tariff, specifically rule 90: Schedule Irregularities for more information.

Domestic Tarrif Page located at https://assets.ctfassets.net/f8o5emqrej ... -02-29.pdf says this:

(H) Schedule Changes
1. In the event of a schedule change, the Traveller is entitled to a full refund to the
original form of payment or accept to be booked on the next available Swoop
flight.

2. When a schedule change results in the cancellation of all Swoop service to a
destination, at Swoop’s sole discretion, and if acceptable to the Traveller, Swoop
may arrange for the Traveller to travel on a carrier Swoop has a commercial
agreement with or via ground transportation.
3. The Carrier will make all reasonable efforts to inform Travellers of delays and
schedule changes and, to the extent possible, the reason for the delay or
change.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17593 posts
4572 upvotes
Toronto
55ab55 wrote: So I dug into this more - in case we need more ammo to make a charge back. Their Flight Interruptions page (https://www.flyswoop.com/flight-interruptions/) says this:

Schedule changes
Changes to flights within three (3) days (72 hours) of departure are referred to as flight delays or cancellations. Schedule changes are adjustments to flight times and destinations which may apply to flights departing more than three (3) days (72 hours) prior to departure, including weeks or months in advance of departure. Unfortunately, even though we prefer not to make schedule changes, they do happen. Generally, schedule changes are made because of adjustments to air traffic routes, airport requests, construction at airport facilities, security constraints, market forces and so on.

Should you experience a schedule change, Swoop will make every effort to contact you in a timely manner to advise you of a change. Email notification will contain information about your new flight itinerary and instructions on how to make a change or decline the new itinerary and request a refund.

You can also review our domestic tariff, specifically rule 90: Schedule Irregularities for more information.

Domestic Tarrif Page located at https://assets.ctfassets.net/f8o5emqrej ... -02-29.pdf says this:

(H) Schedule Changes
1. In the event of a schedule change, the Traveller is entitled to a full refund to the
original form of payment or accept to be booked on the next available Swoop
flight.

2. When a schedule change results in the cancellation of all Swoop service to a
destination, at Swoop’s sole discretion, and if acceptable to the Traveller, Swoop
may arrange for the Traveller to travel on a carrier Swoop has a commercial
agreement with or via ground transportation.
3. The Carrier will make all reasonable efforts to inform Travellers of delays and
schedule changes and, to the extent possible, the reason for the delay or
change.
Awesome find! After 2 hours on hold trying to connect to an agent, I finally got through, their answer was that they can do any of the below:

1) Accept the proposed flight chnage
2) Accept Swoop Credits
3) Make a no fee, no fare difference change to any date in the next 7 days from the original flight date
4) Pay the fare difference to any other date I'd like.

I asked to speak to the manager, he said "managers are not taking calls for refund requests so he will not be able to do so". He said he recommends I file a credit card chargeback if I'm not happy with the above....

Its interesting considering they get charged a chargeback fee whenever you get a claim. Would be easier for these guys to just refund...
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4495 posts
4024 upvotes
They cancelled your evening flight and put you on the morning flight the same day, so you can still get out to BC on time, the day you wanted to be there. How is your travel ruined?

Why didn't you just take the morning flight? So you have to get to Hamilton a lot earlier, but you get there earlier too, so you have almost a full extra day in BC... given the cancellation of flights all over the world these days you're doing a lot better than most.

It wasn't like Swoop said "sorry, all flights to BC are cancelled" or "your flight's cancelled and we have no room for you on the morning flight, so too bad, you'll be on standby the next day...".

You're acting like Swoop stranded you or ripped you off. They did neither.

Enjoy your trip.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Jul 28, 2017
92 posts
43 upvotes
My flight with Swoop was changed to 2 days later and the new schedule doesn't work for me. By cancelling the flight online, I was given a Swoop credit. However, I am looking for a refund and I don't see that as an option online. I already tried to contact them via online message and calling them, but I was not able to reach them within a reasonable time. Is my only option now asking my credit card company for a chargeback?
Mar 14, 2016
152 posts
150 upvotes
Ontario
Yep - that's the way to go. Swoop is hurting bad - they can't afford to keep their current stuff running AND return your money. Same happened to me as well - they pushed my flight to the next day which doesn't work - I got credits back and have claimed a refund to original payment method. If I don't hear back in 30 days I'm going to file a dispute.
Aug 3, 2017
605 posts
421 upvotes
HenryC422053 wrote: My flight with Swoop was changed to 2 days later and the new schedule doesn't work for me. By cancelling the flight online, I was given a Swoop credit. However, I am looking for a refund and I don't see that as an option online. I already tried to contact them via online message and calling them, but I was not able to reach them within a reasonable time. Is my only option now asking my credit card company for a chargeback?
Pretty much all the airlines now only offering credit. Lots of protesting and complaining, but none are budging yet. Maybe take the credit, book another flight and hope the pressure works.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
Chargeback Guide for Cancelled Flights
DRAFT 3
This guide is for Canadian air passengers who have purchased an airline ticket for travel that has been cancelled by the airline, for which they have not been offered a full refund upon request to the airline. You must NOT have accepted any “alternative” compensation offered (e.g., a future travel credit instead of a refund).
For clarity, this guide ONLY applies to passengers whose tickets were cancelled by the airline itself. These guidelines do not apply to voluntary cancellation of travel by the passenger. For greater clarity, if you chose not to take a flight for any reason (e.g., fears related to COVID-19) and the flight itself was not cancelled by the airline, this guide does not apply to you.
After making a good-faith attempt to request a refund directly from the ticket seller, the intended user of this script is to telephone their payment card issuer and request a chargeback on the grounds that the services they paid for were not rendered (Visa condition 13.1 Merchandise/Services Not Received, MasterCard reason code 4855 Goods or Services Not Delivered), and the merchant has refused to refund the purchase, which they are legally required to do.
This script was produced using independent research conducted with transaction dispute department staff in the credit card departments of TD, RBC, and CIBC. All instructions provided herein reflect the most common elements of each issuer’s dispute and chargeback process, which include what questions you will be asked, and what is expected of you when you make this request.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirPass ... cation=ufi
[external link removed, do not repost]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1271 posts
1713 upvotes
West
Affected by the same situation, but admiteddly am trying to cancel due to COVID-19 more than anything:

From Swoop's tariff:
(H) Schedule Changes
1. In the event of a schedule change, the Traveller is entitled to a full refund to the original form of payment or accept to be booked on the next available Swoop flight.
2. When a schedule change results in the cancellation of all Swoop service to a destination, at Swoop’s sole discretion, and if acceptable to the Traveller, Swoop may arrange for the Traveller to travel on a carrier Swoop has a commercial agreement with or via ground transportation.
3. The Carrier will make all reasonable efforts to inform Travellers of delays and schedule changes and, to the extent possible, the reason for the delay or change.
They are breaking their own rules. Only issue is, there's no accountability right now with COVID-19.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3235 posts
1851 upvotes
Edmonton
HenryC422053 wrote: My flight with Swoop was changed to 2 days later and the new schedule doesn't work for me. By cancelling the flight online, I was given a Swoop credit. However, I am looking for a refund and I don't see that as an option online. I already tried to contact them via online message and calling them, but I was not able to reach them within a reasonable time. Is my only option now asking my credit card company for a chargeback?
Forget it!

Canadian Airlines No Longer Need To Offer Refunds On Cancelled Flights
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
This is the best example of cynicism
The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) issued a statement yesterday declaring that airlines are not necessarily expected to provide passengers cash refunds for canceled bookings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The CTA justifies its position by saying that it aims to strike a balance between protecting passenger rights while also not creating unnecessary financial hardship for carriers in a situation that is completely outside of airline control.
This makes it sound like the airline is a poor entity that has children at home to feed and it just lost its job due to COVID19
Pure B$. If someone needs to be protected here is the regular citizen who paid for a service and who lost his/her money on top of losing his job.
These companies are own by billionaires, governments and by other companies who had millions in profits. Same entities that are laying of the regular Joe who is now claiming his money

The law is simple and must be applied no matter what gaseous mass a s.... head at CTA ejected from his head.
It is the same law that allows them to layoff people in order to remain profitable.
They had a contract that they breached. They did not provide the service they were paid for.
If the cause was or was not under their control is irrelevant, WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR COMPENSATIONS !!! WE ARE ASKING FOR OUR MONEY BACK. NOT MORE NOT LESS.
If the money I paid them disappeared in a black hole due the same unforeseen causes I would understand but they have that money. If they paid for other services they can in turn claim their money back since those services were certainly related to delivering the service they were paid for.

Gabor's advice is simple: you charged my CC, you did not deliver the goods , the CC should charge back the airline, end of story

I don't enve know why I am wasting my time to counter non-sense like above
[external link removed, do not repost]
Jul 28, 2017
92 posts
43 upvotes
Yeah, it is pretty disappointing. I called 587-441-1001 and pressed #1 (for Swoop Fly Booking). There is an automated message that says they are no longer taking call at the moment and ask me to go online for self-serve options. What a fail...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17593 posts
4572 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: They cancelled your evening flight and put you on the morning flight the same day, so you can still get out to BC on time, the day you wanted to be there. How is your travel ruined?

Why didn't you just take the morning flight? So you have to get to Hamilton a lot earlier, but you get there earlier too, so you have almost a full extra day in BC... given the cancellation of flights all over the world these days you're doing a lot better than most.

It wasn't like Swoop said "sorry, all flights to BC are cancelled" or "your flight's cancelled and we have no room for you on the morning flight, so too bad, you'll be on standby the next day...".

You're acting like Swoop stranded you or ripped you off. They did neither.

Enjoy your trip.
Given its a schedule change that is not from my end, I should have the ability to get a refund. Which Swoops policies as posted above state you're entitled to for flight changes over 3 hours. The time difference is greater than 3 hours. Simple as that.

Whatever my reason would be irrelevant, and in this case, but of course its COVID19 and travel advisories where everything will be shut down either way.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4495 posts
4024 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: (snip)
Did Swoop leave you stranded? Yes or no answer... If yes, how so?
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.