[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA

Syfy's Miniseries Based On Arthur C. Clarke's CHILDHOOD’S END

from http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-22/watch-n ... 80%99s-end

The six-episode project stars Charles Dance (Game of Thrones) and Mike Vogel (Under the Dome) and focuses on the aftermath of a peaceful alien invasion from creatures dubbed the “Overlords.” In Clarke’s 1953 novel that inspired the series, the otherworldly arrival begins decades of apparent utopia under indirect alien rule, though it comes at the cost of human identity and culture.

In the series adaptation, Dance will play Karellen, the ambassador for the Overlords. Vogel will take on the role of midwestern farmer Ricky Stormgren, whose life is "turned upside down" when he is named the human ambassador for the aliens. The trailer shows off a lot more footage, and it doesn’t seem afraid to ask the big questions about freedom and who controls (and should control) our destiny.

Childhood’s End is set to premiere December 2015 on Syfy.

6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4437 upvotes
Between Countries
I read the book many years ago and was always under the impression it was unfilmable. Glad they're giving it a shot and I'd like to see how it turns out. Though the trailer gives the story a much more negative vibe than what I remember from Clarke's book.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
Here's Everything You Need To Know About Syfy's Version of Clarke's Childhood's End

Syfy is taking on the ambitious task of adapting one of science fiction’s greatest novels for the big screen. But how well with Childhood’s End live up to Arthur C. Clarke’s original vision? And how will they portray the themes of the book? Allow Charles Dance and the rest of the cast to explain, in this exclusive featurette.

Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15328 posts
8232 upvotes
Toronto
Premieres tomorrow night with the first of three 2 hour episodes over three consecutive nights Mon, Tues, Wed on Showcase in a sorta face off with 'The Expanse' on Space.
They're both SyFy shows but they're competing in Canada.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2308 posts
1032 upvotes
Woodbridge
I was a little disappointed with it. Maybe because it felt too rushed being only three episodes but compared to the book, the book is much better and goes into more details that were glossed over. i.e. religion

Lobo
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
So the kids ascended so their energy could feed into the girl who was trapped in the air??? If she was so "special", why did she get trapped? Arthur C. Clarke is really into special children and oddball endings, at least if movies based on his works are anything to go by.