Computers & Electronics

Which system would you buy - 5600X/3060 or 5800X/6700XT ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 1:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver

Which system would you buy - 5600X/3060 or 5800X/6700XT ?

A family member with a failing 10 year old Dell XPS 8300 desktop has me shopping for a new desktop PC.

I'm going to gift my current PC to them and buy one of the following builds. My current desktop was built it in late 2015 and is used for legacy FPS gaming, a lot of image editing (with dual monitors) but only a small amount of video editing, and it is a backup to a work laptop (which also has to be replaced). I normally build a new PC about every 5 years but with COVID and the GPU shortage I've been deferring doing this.

Currently using and to be gifted:
Intel i7-6700K
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard
MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G Graphics Card
G.Skill PC4-19200 DDR4-2400 (4x 8GB)
Corsair H110GT cooler
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD
WD 2TB 7200rpm (+ additional drives to be removed)
Fractal Design Define S case
Windows 10 Home

I am considering the following pre-builds which cannot be reconfigured, only added to or changed after purchase. I do plan to add an additional 16GB of RAM. I have one of these systems on hold.

I don't plan to run radical manual over-clocks but I would let the motherboard apply automatic over-clocks if it is capable of doing so. I figure I'd run these stock until after the COVID supply chain is normalized and then possibly update the CPU/ GPU if I could gain double the performance for minimal $$ invested.

System A: $1800 before taxes

AMD® Ryzen™ 5 5600X, 3.7GHz w/ 6 Cores / 12 Threads
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X 12GB Graphics Card
Spectrix 16GB DDR4-3600 RAM (2x 8GB)
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (WD I think)
650W PS (Corsair)
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh ARGB ATX Case w/ Tempered Glass - Black
Windows 10 Home

System B: $2500 before taxes

AMD® Ryzen™ 7 5800X 3.8GHz Octo Core Processor
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI Motherboard w/ Wifi and Bluetooth
Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB Graphics Card
Spectrix D60 16GB DDR4-3600 RAM (2x 8GB)
Noctua NH-U12S cooler
WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe 500GB M.2 SSD
750W PS (Corsair?)
Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow Tempered Glass, Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Windows 10 Home

I have spent a bit of time checking out the MB analysis from Gamers Nexus YouTube (he seems to approve of both boards) and like all MB's you can find issues with them if you search. If anything, ease of applying BIOS updates would probably be a key feature for me.

Optionally I could try to isolate the issue with the Dell XPS but it is probably best to retire the beast. I've been through a drive crash (2016) and replaced the GPU once already with this unit so I'm pretty much at the point that it's time has come to be replaced. It is now unable to run older FPS games like COD/Black Ops and it's been displaying unusual graphics anomalies on screen and freezes when multiple tabs are open in browsers. There have not been many error messages - some re buffer overflows. Unfortunately the user does not capture an image of these when they happen. I have checked for drive errors, re-seated all slots & power connectors, and re-applied thermal paste to the CPU. It's possible it may be the old original PSU but it runs quiet, I hear no noises from it, nothing seems to be overheating, and its fan continues to turn.

I'd appreciate any insight from the RFD community in regards to System A vs B.

12 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
So after posting this, I'm poking around in a storage space and I see the old PC I replaced with the 2015 build. It still had a old Corsair HX620w semi-modular power supply in it. I figure I'll swap it in for the Dell XPS's original PSU and run some tests.

I remove the Dell PSU and as I'm grabbing this old Corsair I flip it around in my hand a couple of times and I hear a noise from inside the unit. Sounds like a screw got loose inside. I shake it out over a clean work area and this huge IN5406 diode falls out of it thru the fan. WTH!!!

This Corsair HX620w was a warranty replacement for a previous unit that failed without warning. The failed unit also had something loose in it. I open it up and scrutinize the board inside but I cannot see any empty mounting holes thru the board that would match to the contacts of the diode. It doesn't even look like this thing has any solder on it.

I was like figuring I would not have to spend a $2000 this month to deal with the XPS. I'll take it as a sign to buy a new unit and move onto the phase of software reloading and transfer.

Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1802 posts
296 upvotes
Scarborough
Obviously system B is better. The 6700XT is ~30% faster than the RTX 3060 on average in gaming, and you can expect the 5800X to be ~30-35% faster in heavily multi-threaded workloads and trivially faster in single-threaded workloads compared to the 5600X. Whether or not that's worth the extra 39% increase in price is up to you (actually the price difference is more than that because system B has less storage).

Either way, both systems will be a big upgrade over your R9 390.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16155 posts
21083 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Is Windows 11 compatible with these CPUs?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... -zen-cpus/

Sucks that it only supports Intel 7th gen. LAME. I will stick to Windows 10.
Yes. Windows 11 is not compatible with Ryzen 1st generation processors launched in 2017.

Linus explains this and also mentions you can do a clean install without meeting minium system requirements.

[1:51] Topic #1: Windows 11 system requirements.
> 3:14 Compatible CPUs.
> 5:54 Reasoning behind the restrictions.
> 7:48 Restrictions do NOT apply to clean install.
> 10:24 No performance gained for gaming.
> 12:10 Talking about the OEM licenses.
Destiny is all
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
I picked up the 5600X/3060 system today. It will be a week or more before I go live on it.

It should work well for me as there is definitely a performance uplift over what I'm currently using and I'm not going to OC it aggressively. For Photoshop like applications, it looks to perform very well as compared to the 5800X and is not worth the $$ uplift.

One of the benchmark pages I came across is this one. It shows that the 5600X outperforms the Ryzen 9 5950X by 21% in the Photoshop 2019 benchmark. I have not looked deeply into why that would be but find it odd.

https://www.cpuagent.com/cpu-compare/am ... lity=ultra

Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16220 posts
561 upvotes
Just curious on why this motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
JayTee1 wrote: Just curious on why this motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
That's what was bundled with the system. No choice to substitute. I could not even sub out the 2x 8G RAM for 2x 16G. Had to buy the 16G's separately and will be selling the 8G's soon.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
JayTee1 wrote: Just curious on why this motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
Do you have any concerns re this MB?

Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2006
16220 posts
561 upvotes
Nope. Was just looking at MB's recently for myself. Was debating between MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS and the MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4.

Just wanted to see if you had any positive thoughts about the x570 and if i should consider that one instead.
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
JayTee1 wrote: Nope. Was just looking at MB's recently for myself. Was debating between MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS and the MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4.

Just wanted to see if you had any positive thoughts about the x570 and if i should consider that one instead.
I see... I normally research for months before buying components for my builds but with the other PC failing I literally only had a day or two after walking into a store that had a system available they were burning in.

About all I can say is every mfg has their bad products and you have to sort that out. Could not find any really negative reviews and the Gamer's Nexus Youtube analysis of the board was good enough for me.

But on getting this home I see it has the WD Blue SN550 NVMe that is alleged to use slower NAND in lieu of the original version and they stuck a Gigabyte GP-P650B power supply in this box. Makes me nervous after reading about the issues with the "exploding" GP-P750GM and GP-P850GM PSU's Newegg was bundling with GPU's. This PSU will be getting swapped out soon.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... -slow-ssds

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1642 posts
563 upvotes
Kitchener
With the $700 saved you can always get another GPU down the line in a couple years. I think you made the right decision.

And since you spent less, you could always just replace the entire system in 3 years instead of your normal 5 year cycle. You will come out ahead.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Silicon Power BP34080M28AB 1TB NVMe I bought on an RFD deal in 2019 that I never got around to installing.

Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 TLC

Am thinking I should swap this into my new system before I get too deep into my own burn cycle and software installation.

Then use the WD Blue SN550 in the old system.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)