• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2021 12:52 pm
[OP]
Sep 29, 2019
44 posts
5 upvotes

Systems Architect Contracting

Hi all,

I'm currently employed full time in Ottawa as a Systems Architect and have about 17 years IT experience; the last 6 being in a Systems Architect role. I've got a lot of experience in DevOps, networking, PKI and Oracle as well.

I've been considering moving into consulting and I'm just looking to get some advice from some seasoned contractors what the opportunities are like these days in Ottawa. I'd like to stay in the Systems Architect role as well.

Do people generally have a tough time finding contracts in these roles? Are long term contracts (6 months, 1 year, etc.) typically available or do people have to settle for shorter term contracts? What's a rough typical per diem that you would expect for this sort of position for someone with my level of experience?

I've been with the same company my entire career so the consulting world is a complete unknown to me!

Thanks!
4 replies
Dec 27, 2020
21 posts
4 upvotes
I would be interested to know How much Ottawa pays for such roles with these many YoE. Would you mind sharing some details on compensation, if you can?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4210 posts
1682 upvotes
My team was "full" of contractors. Not literally full, but more than 50% of the team were contractors.

Due to COVID, many had to leave, because the projects were put on hold, or slowed down quite a bit. Contracts are usually 6 months at the most, renewable.

In other words, it may be relatively tough to get a contract right now. Perhaps even harder if you are not experienced, having a portfolio of companies you previously worked for is excellent, because you could call them back, ask for opportunities, etc.

On the other hand, be positive and try it. All you need is one (contract).

Good luck!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22081 posts
2755 upvotes
bluffmaster10 wrote: I would be interested to know How much Ottawa pays for such roles with these many YoE. Would you mind sharing some details on compensation, if you can?
If you want the big dollars you need to go to the US
Jan 7, 2005
755 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
To be very successful, you need a solid network of decision makers that will ask for your services when opportunities comes up. Applying as a 'stranger' will lower the success rate of getting the contracts.
Note sure about Ottawa, but on the Toronto side of the province, the rate paid to 'your company', after the cuts from agencies would be 90-120 per hours. Add more if there are ways for you to bypass agency (not common in public sectors). You will also get more if you have experience with specialized/niche systems (but on the flip side, the # of opportunities would be lower for those). To me, the # of yrs of experience is less relevant for me when I am paying for consulting. I would be looking for demonstrable achievements, and proven ability to jump in a begin to contribute quickly to increase my value for dollars.