Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
AT&T

AT&T $300USD for 8GB + talk + text for 1 Year (free Canadian roaming)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2022 3:40 pm
Sep 1, 2009
376 posts
339 upvotes
gta
spotts01 wrote: I had to read your post 3 times to figure out what you were trying to do. That alone should answer your question.
This is When I get drunk. Lol!
Trust me ! Sometimes I don’t make sense to me either.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Sep 1, 2009
376 posts
339 upvotes
gta
HalfTrack wrote:
But well does it work?
Fido is not a "2gb data sim from USA"
That’s the point “it does not work.”
Any Fido combination with voip provider for Canada would not provide USA roaming for data. Running Fido sim data to run sugar mobile as a voip still will leaves you stranded in USA, forcing you to buy local 2-3 gb data only sim card from Walmart or somewhere .

I tried last year doing this whole kaboodle- Fido-voip -straight talk it was a headache keeping two accounts as a regular traveller So I gave up.

Now when I am in Canada I use pay as you go and when I am in USA I use pay as you go. Atleast they have Cheap competitive rates both in Canada and USA in pay as you go.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
HalfTrack wrote: Monthly unused data Does not roll over in Canada on this plan according to what I read.
Walmart Promo apparrently does. Not Accumalative!
no it doesnt roll over in canada
but i was talking about it on the US plan, which it does
fido canada plan is 4gb, att is 8gb
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1308 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
Rumor has it it's probably more than 8 GB in Canada, but we'd need a subscriber to test.

No multi-line discount makes this lukewarm for me. With multi-line, it would've worked out to something ridiculous like

((300 x 10 - 10 x 2 x 12 - 20 x 7 x 12) / 10) / 12 = $9 a pop per month
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1289 posts
692 upvotes
Is everyone here under the impression that it's entirely 2G speeds in Canada, not just for usage over 8gb? Their current prepaid terms mention Canada data roaming may be reduced to 2G speeds per attached image.

Looks like it was communicated March 2019 per Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/a ... a_anymore/

"AT&T Free Msg: Effective March 17, 2019, if you use roaming data services in Mexico or Canada on a wireless carrier network other than AT&T, your data usage may be reduced to 2G speeds. For complete terms visit att.com/prepaidterms"

EDIT: Looks like from the Reddit comments users aren't immediately throttled using data in Canada. Their previous terms had a threshold of > 50% of data usage outside of USA over a 3 month period but terms are now vague in the reference to possible reduction to 2G speeds (i.e. now up to them who they want to throttle for data usage in Canada and when).
Images
  • att plan.png
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1308 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
seshwan wrote: Is everyone here under the impression that it's entirely 2G speeds in Canada, not just for usage over 8gb? Their current prepaid terms mention Canada data roaming may be reduced to 2G speeds per attached image.

Looks like it was communicated March 2019 per Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/a ... a_anymore/

"AT&T Free Msg: Effective March 17, 2019, if you use roaming data services in Mexico or Canada on a wireless carrier network other than AT&T, your data usage may be reduced to 2G speeds. For complete terms visit att.com/prepaidterms"

EDIT: Looks like from the Reddit comments users aren't immediately throttled using data in Canada. Their previous terms had a threshold of > 50% of data usage outside of USA over a 3 month period but terms are now vague in the reference to possible reduction to 2G speeds (i.e. now up to them who they want to throttle for data usage in Canada and when).
I’m under the impression it’ll be LTE
Jan 28, 2017
432 posts
308 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: Yes because if I’ve properly understood the way our telecom cartel operates, Rogers-EXT is essentially domestic roaming on Telus’/Bell’s network. And AT&T prepaid only roams on *Rogers* MNC code in Canada.
I believe you can make the phone to also roam on Bell or Telus. You need to call into AT&T help to enable manual settings for roaming. Possibly this is in Settings under the "Mobile Network/ Carrier - choose a network operator", which is grayed out? Don't remember where I saw it, else would have posted the link.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1308 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
Nam5588 wrote: I believe you can make the phone to also roam on Bell or Telus. You need to call into AT&T help to enable manual settings for roaming. Possibly this is in Settings under the "Mobile Network/ Carrier - choose a network operator", which is grayed out? Don't remember where I saw it, else would have posted the link.
Not available for prepaid, they have a different equipment and settings than postpaid. The Reset MNS option for North America is only available on postpaid equipment. I've called international support enough times to know.

1.314.925.6925 if anyone else wants to try.
Jan 28, 2017
432 posts
308 upvotes
souledge wrote: Not available for prepaid, they have a different equipment and settings than postpaid. The Reset MNS option for North America is only available on postpaid equipment. I've called international support enough times to know.

1.314.925.6925 if anyone else wants to try.
Worked for prepaid (GoPhone) 2 years ago (same number as posted by souledge), may not work anymore:
www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/6psu7u/en ... selection/
Jul 7, 2014
274 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ryokoseigo wrote: Blegh... I'd totally jump on this if having a USA number didn't cause so many issues, forcing all family to pay long-distance is just dumb, and generally just puts you in an odd spot having to give the various things you need to give numbers to, or heck some odd moment where you need a Canadian number for something. The Fido tablet sim strategy is neat, but Fongo seems limited. Really some kind of calling the only plan+fido and a dual sim phone seems the best bet, but call only plans are still too much money to make that especially decent.
Good point! I didn't even think that everyone would be charged long distance for calling me. Yep, that's a deal breaker.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
MazMazda3 wrote: Good point! I didn't even think that everyone would be charged long distance for calling me. Yep, that's a deal breaker.
You can port your Cad number to VoIP.ms and still receive calls to your Cad # by forwarding them to your US # for 2 cents a minute.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1308 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
Nam5588 wrote: Worked for prepaid (GoPhone) 2 years ago (same number as posted by souledge), may not work anymore:
www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/6psu7u/en ... selection/
I followed that thread, but no dice for me, and I've called a few times. Other people in this thread have had the switch turned on, like myself, but aren't really getting any connections to non-Rogers towers.
Jun 13, 2017
700 posts
468 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
Does anyone have words on its descriptions:

Talk, text & data in Mexico & Canada
Roaming data may be at 2G speed.

OP, are you already using it?

Edit:
Got this from the Walmart thread (the plan there also says may be at 2G speed).
xyztech wrote: I've been using the plan for 2 months.
Been getting LTE speeds.
At times close to 200Mbps+ in certain locations.

Getting 100Mbish most of the time.
"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
AT&T surprise yet again.

$25 a month for 8GB, when paid 12 months in advance. $300 payment required. All denominations in US dollars. May be subject to US state sales tax.

8GB of high speed data a month. Mobile hotspot use is allowed. Full usage of the plan in Canada. Unlimited inbound and outbound calls to any number in the US, Canada, or Mexico. Unlimited text messages to over 100 countries.

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plans
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
Thx, I just spotted that. Re-direct to the existing thread :-)
Jan 22, 2009
180 posts
247 upvotes
Deal like this highlights the most underrated feature in a cell phone - dual sim.

Sim 1: Canadian provider for CAN calls & texts (Just downgrade your plan to $15/$20 per mth.)
Sim 2: Mobile data

In my opinion, it's not worth it if you rarely go to US. You end up spending about $60 / month for above dual sim scenario which you can easily get similar 8Gb plan with CAN provider
However, if you go to US at least 5+ trips per year, this works out pretty good as your 8Gb is fully utilizable in US.
Sep 1, 2009
376 posts
339 upvotes
gta
chongb wrote: Deal like this highlights the most underrated feature in a cell phone - dual sim.

Sim 1: Canadian provider for CAN calls & texts (Just downgrade your plan to $15/$20 per mth.)
Sim 2: Mobile data

In my opinion, it's not worth it if you rarely go to US. You end up spending about $60 / month for above dual sim scenario which you can easily get similar 8Gb plan with CAN provider
However, if you go to US at least 5+ trips per year, this works out pretty good as your 8Gb is fully utilizable in US.
This is exactly what I meant with my “ ferengi “English :)
Aug 7, 2018
81 posts
40 upvotes
This would work for me, as I spend the winter in the US and the rest of the year here. Right now I am with Public Mobile and the recently posted $60 US and Canada 8gb plan. I don't much care about LTE speeds, as I don't use my phone to watch video files - senior eyes.
I have to read up on dual sim and how to set something like this up.
Jan 18, 2005
247 posts
239 upvotes
chongb wrote: In my opinion, it's not worth it if you rarely go to US. You end up spending about $60 / month for above dual sim scenario which you can easily get similar 8Gb plan with CAN provider
You can get a 8.5GB, 3mbps plan from Public Mobile for $58 that includes 2GB of US roaming on one sim card. No need for dual Sim unless you need full LTE speeds.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)