• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 6:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1501 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto

[T&T Supermarket] BRUNO compact hot plate (designed in Japan, made in China) $119 @ T&T

BRUNO compact hot plate
4 colors
Comes with 2 plates - flat plate and multi ingredient plate
(Ceramic pot sold separately)

Similar to
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TRQSUW8/ref ... E3RBSX65KB

$119 @ T&T Langham square in Markham Ontario

I'm debating if I should buy this at this price as I'm also looking for the 2-tier steamer attachment for $40 locally...
FB_IMG_1622251715162.jpg
FB_IMG_1622251725190.jpg
21 replies
Oct 28, 2012
36 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Looks pretty cool. I've been seeing this a lot lately (on social media)....
Jul 30, 2016
66 posts
123 upvotes
Don't know about this item specifically, but every Bruno product I have purchased has been rock solid so far.
Nov 20, 2010
317 posts
461 upvotes
Social media fad, sole purpose for this hot plat is for likes. Take it home, snap an IG and story, write a long paragraph about how good it is and how hard it was to get. Wait for a bunch of likes within the next day or so. Then return it, saying its defective cause you didn't get the amount of upvotes you were expecting. What a trend...
Feb 20, 2015
58 posts
10 upvotes
My wife just bought from xiaohong mall, and we had hotpot today for lunch. The hotpot plus steamer plus divided pot = 120 + 40 +40.
(Accessories are regular priced at 40)
It is expensive to me... And wife regretted choosing the yellow colour.
Anyway, we chose to keep it.

Left side gets hot / boils faster than the right side.
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
674 upvotes
kchkwan wrote: Social media fad, sole purpose for this hot plat is for likes. Take it home, snap an IG and story, write a long paragraph about how good it is and how hard it was to get. Wait for a bunch of likes within the next day or so. Then return it, saying its defective cause you didn't get the amount of upvotes you were expecting. What a trend...
I still don't get it either. Like... it's tiny, you could barely cook/heat 2 people's portion of food in it. I get there are common dishes which could use this- but man, for $120? That's a whole lotta $0 nuggets.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
2366 posts
4209 upvotes
Toronto
Kazushi wrote: I still don't get it either. Like... it's tiny, you could barely cook/heat 2 people's portion of food in it. I get there are common dishes which could use this- but man, for $120? That's a whole lotta $0 nuggets.
It's all about the look. The tinier the better.

And the one app on my wife's phone that I hate the most is xiaohongshu. It's notorious
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4333 posts
3303 upvotes
Vancouver
Kazushi wrote: I still don't get it either. Like... it's tiny, you could barely cook/heat 2 people's portion of food in it. I get there are common dishes which could use this- but man, for $120? That's a whole lotta $0 nuggets.
This thing isn't intended for family use. My coworkers bring this to the office to cook hotpot in their room. Students use this in their shared kitchen.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46096 posts
6585 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Have you ever had Korean BBQ? This is at least same size, if not bigger capacity than that.
Nov 20, 2010
317 posts
461 upvotes
LarryT778370 wrote: It's all about the look. The tinier the better.

And the one app on my wife's phone that I hate the most is xiaohongshu. It's notorious
Same boat, same boat! But it does have some good stuff too lol.
Aug 30, 2017
166 posts
325 upvotes
All the haters side, anyone aware of a good source of in-depth reviews of this unit in English? Did a quick Google search could not find anything useful.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6325 posts
2485 upvotes
Toronto
yellowmp5 wrote: BRUNO compact hot plate
4 colors
Comes with 2 plates - flat plate and multi ingredient plate
(Ceramic pot sold separately)

Similar to
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TRQSUW8/ref ... E3RBSX65KB

$119 @ T&T Langham square in Markham Ontario

I'm debating if I should buy this at this price as I'm also looking for the 2-tier steamer attachment for $40 locally...
FB_IMG_1622251715162.jpg
FB_IMG_1622251725190.jpg
What exactly do people use this for? Korean barbecue?
Apr 13, 2009
406 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
That ugly family drawn at the box would be enough for me to avoid it Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2082 posts
806 upvotes
Is the size useful in real life cooking? What experience do you guys have cooking a meal with it?
Jul 29, 2015
122 posts
105 upvotes
Saskatoon
From my vast experience of watching kdramas, you could use this thing to cook while you eat. Plate of raw meat on one side and hot plate on the other. Cook and eat small batches of meat instead of doing the entire plate in one go.
Nov 3, 2018
333 posts
708 upvotes
zajacik99 wrote: That ugly family drawn at the box would be enough for me to avoid it Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Not ugly per se, but that caricature can definitely use some diversity considering the target audience of this product.
Mar 14, 2018
368 posts
402 upvotes
I thought it’s a Taiwanese brand? Why are they made in China smh.

Looks like a toy. Good if you weigh under 50Kg I guess.
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
674 upvotes
Spinner wrote:
This thing isn't intended for family use. My coworkers bring this to the office to cook hotpot in their room. Students use this in their shared kitchen.
I just went by the drawing of a family sharing it during dinner. I want office hot pot... *drool*
Jon Lai wrote: Have you ever had Korean BBQ? This is at least same size, if not bigger capacity than that.
hmm, I saw this at T&T and it didn't look that big. At least compared to the KBBQ grills but circle vs rectangle.