• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 1:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2031 posts
4109 upvotes

[T&T Supermarket] RWA Beef Tenderloin $15.41/kg YMMV Mississauga

Probably a price error for antibiotic free beef tenderloin. Works out to ~$7/lb. Not quite sure if denuded as I didn’t open it yet, but the one I picked up doesn't look like it has much fat on it.

Think this stuff is grass fed too.

Found at Central pkwy location Mississauga YMMV?

8 replies
Aug 8, 2007
413 posts
259 upvotes
Got me interested. I had to look up RWA but it is “raised without antibiotics” just like you stated. Liking at their weekly ad they have an RWA Chuck Roll for $6.39/lb or $14/kg so this is a great deal or price error as I don’t see it advertised so YMMV. Was it graded? AAA, or a USDA grade as Loblaws often brings in US meats for its promotions? The Chuck Roll was Beretta which is a decent Premium Canadian brand - was this one labeled Beretta?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2031 posts
4109 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Got me interested. I had to look up RWA but it is “raised without antibiotics” just like you stated. Liking at their weekly ad they have an RWA Chuck Roll for $6.39/lb or $14/kg so this is a great deal or price error as I don’t see it advertised so YMMV. Was it graded? AAA, or a USDA grade as Loblaws often brings in US meats for its promotions? The Chuck Roll was Beretta which is a decent Premium Canadian brand - was this one labeled Beretta?
This one is also Beretta, although no grade was listed. I wish I had the foresight to take a picture before I cut it up. Grading probably makes little difference on a tenderloin anyway as there is little intramuscular fat to begin with.

I occasionally order stuff from them directly, and I believe that everything they sell is grass fed.

For reference a ~2.5 kg AAA tenderloin from these guys sells on their website for $110. $44/kg is more in line with what this usually costs.

https://berettafarms.com/collections/be ... tenderloin
Nov 6, 2014
632 posts
936 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Loblaws has cryovc tenderloin for $8.88lb. Limit of 1. Great find OP.
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
No way that beef is graded.
That's the same stuff many Asian supermarkets sell in their display case, it's just called Beef Ribeye, Beef Sirloin Tip, etc.
Still a good buy.
Aug 8, 2007
413 posts
259 upvotes
Stopped by the Thornhill location. The RWA pork tenderloin located right next to the beef was being sold for this price not the beef which was $10.99/lb so I suspect it was just a pricing mistake. I would be interested how it turns out as no grading and I know the ungraded beef tenderloin you can buy at the Business Costco doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as AAA or prime at least to me as I was hopeful. I believe the ranchers have to pay extra to get the meat graded so Beretta, positioned as a premium branded RWA product, may think their brand is good enough without grading but I would like to know how it compares as I have not bought it before just seen it in some higher end grocery stores so assume it justifies its usual higher price. Of course this may also be a T&T Beretta special so have no idea if it is the exact same actual product as what they are promoting online etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1395 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
This must be a store clearance price due to overstock.

Just saw a similar tenderloin available on the PC Express app for Loblaws at Heartland. I have a pick up order for Wednesday morning that I need to finalize tonight, so I will add and see if I get it at this price. Tempted to get several at this price.
Images
  • SmartSelect_20200510-201727_PC Express.jpg
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Stopped by the Thornhill location. The RWA pork tenderloin located right next to the beef was being sold for this price not the beef which was $10.99/lb so I suspect it was just a pricing mistake. I would be interested how it turns out as no grading and I know the ungraded beef tenderloin you can buy at the Business Costco doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as AAA or prime at least to me as I was hopeful. I believe the ranchers have to pay extra to get the meat graded so Beretta, positioned as a premium branded RWA product, may think their brand is good enough without grading but I would like to know how it compares as I have not bought it before just seen it in some higher end grocery stores so assume it justifies its usual higher price. Of course this may also be a T&T Beretta special so have no idea if it is the exact same actual product as what they are promoting online etc.
Ranchers don't pay to have their beef graded, companies (Cargill, Ryding, St.Helens, etc.) purchase cattle (live), have them slaughtered, inspector comes in and grades the beef. (usually it's the fat content near the flank) If the rancher has a kill floor then he'll pay but many ranchers don't have a kill floor, the cattle can sense that which can stress them out causing the meat to be tough and have a burgundy color.