Expired Hot Deals

[AT&T] [CAN use ok] AT&T Prepaid - $28USD per line with 8GB data each line usable in Canada (after multiline disc for 5 lines)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 2:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7582 posts
3839 upvotes

[CAN use ok] AT&T Prepaid - $28USD per line with 8GB data each line usable in Canada (after multiline disc for 5 lines)

Retailer:
AT&T
In the past, AT&T required that 50% of a pre-paid subscriber's usage must be in the USA for their prepaid plans. They removed this restriction a few days ago, making pre-paid data plans feasible for Canadians to use. The calling included in the plan is only from the USA, so you will need a dual-SIM phone or use a VoIP app if you want a Canadian number for calls/texts. Proof in change is the missing smalltext here: https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html and further proof in source link in last paragraph.

With 5 lines at 8 GB per line, it comes out to total $140USD, or $28USD per line ($36.53 CAD at today's exch rate). It is possible to get a small-business plan for up to 10 lines that would bring the average cost down even further to $24 USD each line. It's possible to have people at different amounts of data on a multi-line prepaid plan. Obviously, this also includes data in the USA and Mexico.

With 5 lines, a 8GB plan is $28 USD per line ($36.53 CAD)
With 5 lines, an unlimited data plan (22GB -> Throttle) is $43 USD per line ($56.08 CAD)

Also currently comes with a $50 USD VISA prepaid card for buying a new device or SIM kit online, on a $35+ USD prepaid plan, and making payments for 90 days..

Multi-line discount page (still has the old language requiring >50% of usage not in Canada):
https://www.att.com/att/prepaid-multiline-discount/

Full credit to /u/ShadeezBlack who posted to PersonalFinanceCanada.
Last edited by SoroSuub1 on Aug 21st, 2018 1:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
81 replies
Oct 21, 2015
342 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$28 is only when you have 5 lines. Single lines are $50.
Aug 31, 2009
766 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
unlimited data plan!!!! thats amazing for $56.08 CAD
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2011
1080 posts
1302 upvotes
So you can do 100% usage outside ATT network in a long time? How is that possible?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21608 upvotes
Center of Universe
Group buy?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7582 posts
3839 upvotes
BlackXstar wrote: So you can do 100% usage outside ATT network in a long time? How is that possible?
The discussion online is that data plans are cheaper in Mexico (the other market it was lifted for), so it didn't seem necessary I guess... then they decided to ditch it for Canada as well for unknown reasons.

The amount that AT&T is charged by Canada's Big3 for roaming data is probably tiny compared to what we pay for retail plans anyway.
Jan 6, 2009
111 posts
52 upvotes
Which network does ATT roam on in Canada? Will we get LTE speed?
Jul 14, 2018
360 posts
403 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: The discussion online is that data plans are cheaper in Mexico (the other market it was lifted for), so it didn't seem necessary I guess... then they decided to ditch it for Canada as well for unknown reasons.

The amount that AT&T is charged by Canada's Big3 for roaming data is probably tiny compared to what we pay for retail plans anyway.
I'd imagine roaming agreements subtract each others usage from the price they pay. So AT&T certainly gets a lot of business from Canadian "snowbirds".
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1247 posts
2629 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NinjaSaves wrote: I'd imagine roaming agreements subtract each others usage from the price they pay. So AT&T certainly gets a lot of business from Canadian "snowbirds".

...which means that the RFD effect will cause AT&T to rescind this plan within a few months. Lol. I might jump on this later this week when I have downtime, but not without putting my current Canadian plan on seasonal hold.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Aug 8, 2012
161 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
If someone's doing a group buy for the $24 USD small business plan, count me in.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4518 posts
2790 upvotes
Gotham
BlackXstar wrote: So you can do 100% usage outside ATT network in a long time? How is that possible?
100% data usage was always allowed in CA/Mex, however, voice/text was limited to 50%, but they lifted even this limitation it seems.

Just the ongoing competition with T-Mobile.

EDIT: Be careful, the 50% limitation on voice/text is still there...
8Includes unlimited calling and texting within and between the U.S., Mexico, and Canada and use of your plan’s data in Mexico or Canada. Both the number of texts and number of voice minutes used, made, or received in Mexico and Canada cannot exceed 50% of the total number of texts or voice minutes in a month for any consecutive three-month period, or service may be terminated.
Last edited by batcave on Aug 20th, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 17, 2014
952 posts
370 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I'm already doing this with T-Mobile for their tablet plan for 6 gigs for $25 US.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4518 posts
2790 upvotes
Gotham
Good catch @SoroSuub1! 10% off AT&T vouchers are available at callingmart.com and target.com (tax free too).

Also, if you sign up for Autopay, but load the account up with vouchers, you get both discounts.

If you use Autopay and pay with a US credit card or debit card, you will get charged state tax where your account is based so that method is not really a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1454 posts
937 upvotes
Near You
proplayer44 wrote: I'm already doing this with T-Mobile for their tablet plan for 6 gigs for $25 US.
Don't they cut you off after 3 months if you don't connect to their home network?
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Jul 21, 2013
86 posts
64 upvotes
THORNHILL
batcave wrote: 100% data usage was always allowed in CA/Mex, however, voice/text was limited to 50%, but they lifted even this limitation it seems.

Just the ongoing competition with T-Mobile.

EDIT: Be careful, the 50% limitation on voice/text is still there...

If you check carefully, you will find that this limitation has (apparently) been lifted... as per the reddit discussion...

Apr 17, 2014
952 posts
370 upvotes
Corunna, ON
mistytalon wrote: Don't they cut you off after 3 months if you don't connect to their home network?
I don't believe so on data only plan.

I have a GOOGLE voice US number and a Canadian number through VoIP.ms.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4518 posts
2790 upvotes
Gotham
mistytalon wrote: Don't they cut you off after 3 months if you don't connect to their home network?
Adding to Proplayer44's comment, I've been on the T-Mo data plan since 2015 without issue.

However, I have an American friend that was in Canada for six months (without going back to the US) before they got a call from T-Mo. They were on a regular talk/text/data plan.

So it may vary between the products.