• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2022 4:15 pm
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
Knowledge base:

Heavy Exclamation Mark SymbolUPDATE AS OF Late AUGUST 2022: TRIAL IS NOW 90 DAYS every 12 months instead OF 30 days every 6months and Android eSIM Supported phones can now take advantage

- You can activate while in Canada, you just won't be able to use the service because it includes no Roaming outside of T-Mobile US Coverage, you will see No Signal / SOS, however if you enable WiFi calling, you can make calls/sms to US Numbers etc (remember it includes no calls to canada numbers, only sms)

- People having issues related to a SIM being in / Non-US SIM in the phone as 1 person has stated are having different issues and relying on Reps that genuinely have no knowledge. I have personally used this recently and had 0 issues activating, using it on multiple devices that we had on our last visit. There is no need to physically remove your Canadian SIM from your iPhone at any point / time unless you want to.

- IF your Canadian SIM is still in the iPhone, there is no change to your iMessage --> I do recommend you turn off "Send as SMS" option under Settings --> Messages --> "Send as SMS --> OFF. [This is so if your data is not working due to low signal anywhere, at least it won't send your iMessage as SMS for the Canadian line], be sure to switch

- Because your iPhone learns what lines you use for what purpose [example calling] when it comes to certain clients, please keep in mind if you click dial on your favorite contact or any contact for that matter and you have called them recently [within 90 days for example], then iPhone will try to use the same line to make the call and this could be your Canadian line, so be mindful, you can go to the contact and at the top under their name, select what line you want to use to dial "Default" will be last line used, and not be limited to what you set in the settings today / the day of your travel.

- One Trial every 12 months --> It is linked to your iCloud + IMEI from the best of my research, and begins on the day you create the account, whether you are in Canada or USA.

What you need to get T-Mobile eSIM working:

- US Address
- US PHone # [you can make one up as they are not verified and later remove from the account]
- iPhone or Android Smartphone with eSIM
- Download app from Google Play Store / US iTunes app store / account [you can create a new Apple ID with region as US and then sign in/out of the Media & Purchases -- You do not need to sign out of your iCloud account every time]
- No Roaming in Canada included, but yes, it can be setup while in Canada
- No Canada Calling included from USA - Rely on Google Voice or FaceTime / WhatsApp -- {FT / WhatsApp was sufficient for my needs} to call back to Canada

What I did [iPhone Specific]:
- Disabled easy roam on my Canadian line via carriers online account so I could still receive calls that were made to me urgently and I only paid if i answered -- Incoming SMS are always free
- Disable Roaming for my Canadian line on my iPhone -> iPhone Settings -> Cellular -> Canadian Line -> Data Roaming = OFF
- Switch Data when in USA --> iPhone Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data -> T-Mobile and turn off "Allow Cellular Data Switching"
- Default Voice Line --> iPhone Settings --> Cellular --> Default Voice line --> T-Mobile

Since I only use iPhone on the trial, I am going to leave the Android part for you to figure out, but similar options are present in Android OS, so you should make sure things are in place so you do not end up paying a Canadian carrier if you keep your Canadian SIM ON

With above I only spent few dollars on two weeks in USA for answering an urgent call vs $12/day roaming rate [which would have cost me an arm n leg with 3 phones that we had with us].
Last edited by Samshares on Sep 29th, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1496 posts
1442 upvotes
Montreal
Samshares wrote: You can activate while in Canada, you just won't be able to use the service because it includes no Roaming outside of T-Mobile US Coverage.

People having issues related to a SIM being in / Non-US SIM are having different issues and relying on Reps that genuinely have no knowledge. I have personally used this recently and had 0 issues activating, using it on multiple devices that we had on our last visit.

What I did:
- Disabled easy roam on my Telus line, so I could still receive calls that were made to me urgently and I only paid if i answered -- Incoming SMS are always free

What you need:

- US Address
- iPhone XR / XS or newer [No Android units are supported as they will ship a Standalone hotspot device {Useless beyond the trial because you cannot unlock it}, and it will only be shipped to US address so really useless if you dont have a iPhone -- at this time quit fascinating]
- Download app from US iTunes app store / account [you can switch yours to US and then switch back after]
- No Canada Calling included from USA - Rely on Google Voice or FaceTime / WhatsApp -- {FT / WhatsApp was sufficient for my needs} to call back to Canada

Once Setup:

Go to Settings --> Cellular --> Set primary data line to T-Mobile once you are in USA and set Primary Voice line to T-Mobile once in USA as well, remember one thing tho, it may still try to use your Canadian SIM to call out for contacts you call regularly so you have to be careful not to call directly.

With above I only spent few dollars on two weeks in USA for answering an urgent call vs $9/day roaming rate [which would have cost me an arm n leg with 3 phones that we had with us].
It is required to switch both data and voice line? We can't leave Canadian as primary for voice (and iMessages), and data to eSIM like with the others?
Nov 8, 2008
850 posts
1048 upvotes
ben85deals wrote: It is required to switch both data and voice line? We can't leave Canadian as primary for voice (and iMessages), and data to eSIM like with the others?
I recently used this for a 7 day trip to Hawaii.

You can do exactly as proposed. Just set T-Mobile for Cell Data and leave your Canadian primary for everything else, being aware that accepting/making calls on the Canadian voice line will still incur roaming charges.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20043 posts
5754 upvotes
Scarberia
this is why i want to get iphone 14 pro max somethings are better done on iOS(esim trials,iMessage,etc. only option) than android
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
vnkvnk wrote: My point is: if you make a call on WiFi, does not matter if you are calling from Canada or from another country. If the call is on WiFi and you make a long-distance call, it does not trigger roaming. Rogers (I think) does not track IP location to trigger roaming.
At least, in my experience
Yes I am aware, I never contested this, you and I think another user took this off topic, WiFi calling never triggered roaming, it only allowed you to access your plan anywhere in the world while on roaming, ofcourse if you make a call outside of your plan, one would pay for roaming. Feels like y’all keep repeating the same mantra over and over and confusing yourselves.

Once again I will repeat it:

Telus does not allow customers to use WiFi Calling outside of Canada because they geographically have limited its access to force customers to roam if they want to use their service. Rogers / Freedom / T-Mobile and majority of other networks around the world allow access to WiFi Calling outside of their region as long as customers are connected to a WiFi network [Obvious]
Last edited by Samshares on Mar 27th, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
ben85deals wrote: It is required to switch both data and voice line? We can't leave Canadian as primary for voice (and iMessages), and data to eSIM like with the others?
iMessage and all are not affected, as long as sim is still in the phone.

Reason you want to swap the data and voice is so when you make calls : texts it uses the temp T-Mobile line.

Now for iMessage apple is smart enough that it always uses the previously used line, so there is no interruption.

What you are avoiding is using your Canadian line for calling and sms (not iMessage because again, it’ll use your last used line automatically —- I’d disable send as sms as well to avoid roaming charges if data signal is low on T-Mobile ever.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
Samshares wrote: You can activate while in Canada, you just won't be able to use the service because it includes no Roaming outside of T-Mobile US Coverage.

People having issues related to a SIM being in / Non-US SIM are having different issues and relying on Reps that genuinely have no knowledge. I have personally used this recently and had 0 issues activating, using it on multiple devices that we had on our last visit.

What I did:
- Disabled easy roam on my Telus line, so I could still receive calls that were made to me urgently and I only paid if i answered -- Incoming SMS are always free

What you need:

- US Address
- iPhone XR / XS or newer [No Android units are supported as they will ship a Standalone hotspot device {Useless beyond the trial because you cannot unlock it}, and it will only be shipped to US address so really useless if you dont have a iPhone -- at this time quit fascinating]
- Download app from US iTunes app store / account [you can switch yours to US and then switch back after]

Once Setup:

Go to Settings --> Cellular --> Set primary data line to T-Mobile once you are in USA and set Primary Voice line to T-Mobile once in USA as well, remember one thing tho, it may still try to use your Canadian SIM to call out for contacts you call regularly so you have to be careful not to call directly.

Also disable roaming and disable data on Canadian line just before arriving in usa so it doesn’t use any data while on a american tower connection and keeps your Canadian sim essentially in standby.

With above I only spent few dollars on two weeks in USA for answering an urgent call vs $9/day roaming rate [which would have cost me an arm n leg with 3 phones that we had with us].
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2582 posts
2721 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote: is the hotspot the Franklin T10? is this locked to TMobile?
It's not a Franklin.
It's a new model, locked to T-MOBILE (but it will also work with most MVNOs that use T-Mobile network).
Model HS1; no unlocking method exists for it.
You can buy the old hotspot model, Franklin T9, from ebay (used, refurbed); easy to unlock and it works with most networks once unlocked.
Jan 22, 2022
53 posts
101 upvotes
SO I CANNot use this service in Canada (roaming). I can only use this plan when I am in the states?
Jul 18, 2011
131 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
when does the 30 days start counting? once you arrive in the US?
Jun 8, 2019
508 posts
602 upvotes
btw, do you get a USA number for incoming SMS verifications?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Sep 21, 2004
11101 posts
6066 upvotes
Calgary
imPOOR wrote: SO I CANNot use this service in Canada (roaming). I can only use this plan when I am in the states?
Correct. No service in Canada.
girl9394 wrote: when does the 30 days start counting? once you arrive in the US?
It starts when you sign up regardless when you enter US.
roedoe wrote: btw, do you get a USA number for incoming SMS verifications?
Yes. You get a real USA number.

I've been using this in Oregon and Washington in the past sever days, and have to say it's a sweet deal. I still think AT&T has better coverage but T-Mobile coverage is quite good as well.
Jun 8, 2019
508 posts
602 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: Correct. No service in Canada.

Yes. You get a real USA number.
So will incoming SMS work in Canada?

Also, how much is the minimum to keep your USA number for incoming SMS (nothing else).
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Jan 22, 2021
42 posts
31 upvotes
Samshares wrote: Yes I am aware, I never contested this, you and I think another user took this off topic, WiFi calling never triggered roaming, it only allowed you to access your plan anywhere in the world while on roaming, ofcourse if you make a call outside of your plan, one would pay for roaming. Feels like y’all keep repeating the same mantra over and over and confusing yourselves.

Once again I will repeat it:

Telus does not allow customers to use WiFi Calling outside of Canada because they geographically have limited its access to force customers to roam if they want to use their service. Rogers / Freedom / T-Mobile and majority of other networks around the world allow access to WiFi Calling outside of their region as long as customers are connected to a WiFi network [Obvious]
Rogers/Fido wifi calling will work only on devices purchased through them. Freedom has no such condition.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
BargainHunter202 wrote: Rogers/Fido wifi calling will work only on devices purchased through them. Freedom has no such condition.
last time I used Rogers [Been a few years now], it worked just fine using my Apple purchased iPhone 6S from USA. I heard people say similar things back then and it was on the Rogers Community Forum.

Primarily issues with networks telling "not accepted" to customers is related to Android devices, yes the issues have popped up for iPhones time to time as well but I personally never had any issue that wasn't resolved shortly on its own without any changes from my end.
Jan 22, 2021
42 posts
31 upvotes
Samshares wrote: last time I used Rogers [Been a few years now], it worked just fine using my Apple purchased iPhone 6S from USA. I heard people say similar things back then and it was on the Rogers Community Forum.

Primarily issues with networks telling "not accepted" to customers is related to Android devices, yes the issues have popped up for iPhones time to time as well but I personally never had any issue that wasn't resolved shortly on its own without any changes from my end.
You are correct, forgot to mention - it is specific to Android devices, iPhone's do work
Nov 27, 2016
38 posts
14 upvotes
I managed to get the app, but once I open it, it asking for a US phone #? How did everyone get around this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1803 posts
2597 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Samshares wrote: Knowledge base:
Great write-up Samshares! I'll add it to the thread summary.
Feb 19, 2006
179 posts
156 upvotes
It's a shame that T-Mobile only allows installation of the eSim via use of their exclusively iOS app.
The app itself is the actual limitation on Android devices, as their eSIM implementation works the same as iPhone (if you have an eSIM QR or manual details, you can just as easily enter them into an eSIM-compatible Samsung phone as an eSIM-compatible iPhone).

I wonder if there is a workaround to locate the eSIM QR or manual details from within the iOS app, and then scan them with an Android phone, rather than actually activating the service on the iPhone.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)