• Nov 5th, 2015 8:09 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
511 posts
121 upvotes
Sainte-Therese

T-Mobile USA Free Roaming In Canada

Hi all,

Thinking about this plan, does anyone have more details on what this actually means:
Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming
Any reports of shutdowns?
Also do they calculate usage per line or based on all lines on the contract?
15 replies
Sep 21, 2004
10990 posts
5827 upvotes
Calgary
tours99 wrote: Hi all,

Thinking about this plan, does anyone have more details on what this actually means:

It seems to be 2G speed in Canada. Also they have closed accounts for those who primarily live outside of US(from my past research)
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
511 posts
121 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
b166er1337 wrote: It seems to be 2G speed in Canada. Also they have closed accounts for those who primarily live outside of US(from my past research)
do they calculate usage per line or based on all lines on the contract?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4011 posts
1435 upvotes
Ontario
it was explained to me on another forum that primary usage means, at least 50% of your voice/txt/data usage must be on the US network.

this wont work if you're looking to use it mostly in canada, they will shut you down eventually.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
511 posts
121 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
deadice wrote: it was explained to me on another forum that primary usage means, at least 50% of your voice/txt/data usage must be on the US network.

this wont work if you're looking to use it mostly in canada, they will shut you down eventually.
Not if the usage is calculated for all lines
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20522 posts
9995 upvotes
Oakville
I can almost guarantee you that the usage is going to be looked at on a per line basis. They're looking for people that are taking the phone out of the country and never returning, it would be foolish of them to calculate it based on all lines on the account.
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I can almost guarantee you that the usage is going to be looked at on a per line basis. They're looking for people that are taking the phone out of the country and never returning, it would be foolish of them to calculate it based on all lines on the account.
I used it for 1.5 months only and almost the whole time in Canada (minus 3 days in the US). I used about 3GB. Switched between LTE (on Bell and Telus) and 3G (on Rogers). In that short period, they didn't shut me down. I only needed it for a month or so, and it worked perfectly.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17712 posts
5759 upvotes
London
a)TM is already kicking people off for excessive domestic roaming on thier partner networks within the US like Cellular One. I don't see why international roaming would be treated any different.

For example, if I go to school in Iowa, TM doesn't own the network there. TM domestically roams onto a its network partner called Iowa Wireless (much like Wind roaming onto Rogers).

b) you have to pass a US credit check to sign up for monthly cell plans. Most cdns can't pass a US credit check
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
l69norm wrote: b) you have to pass a US credit check to sign up for monthly cell plans. Most cdns can't pass a US credit check
The prepaid plans include Canadian roaming and don't require a credit check.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17712 posts
5759 upvotes
London
Tx, missed that.

I also noticed in the fine print:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simp ... paid-plans
Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 1 GB full-speed plans include 10 MB roaming; 3 GB include 50 MB roaming; 5 GB plans include 100 MB roaming....Network Management:Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Tx, missed that.

I also noticed in the fine print:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simp ... paid-plans
Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 1 GB full-speed plans include 10 MB roaming; 3 GB include 50 MB roaming; 5 GB plans include 100 MB roaming....Network Management:Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming

That is talking about domestic roaming - i.e. how a T-Mobile phone can roam on AT&T. This discussion is about T-Mobile roaming on Rogers (for example), which is not limited to the above roaming caps. More applicable is this link: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simp ... 78&irgwc=1, which provides "Coverage in Mexico and Canada - Use your phone just like at home with unlimited calls to and from Mexico and Canada, including mobile numbers, plus access to your high-speed data, at no additional charge."
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
tours99 wrote: Hi all,

I too would like to know if anyone was actually kicked off the plan for roaming too much in Canada.
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
I wasn't able to get LTE on Rogers, only Bell and Telus, but that was just my experience. As well, phone calls had a huge delay (e.g. very high latency). It was much worse for incoming calls compared to outgoing calls. Also, when roaming on rogers, there was high latency on data (pings as high as 200ms), but extremely low on Bell (as low as 2ms).

I was willing to try and use this line as my main phone line when in Canada and the US, but the really high latency on calls precluded me from doing so.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17712 posts
5759 upvotes
London
shiryon wrote: That is talking about domestic roaming - i.e. how a T-Mobile phone can roam on AT&T. This discussion is about T-Mobile roaming on Rogers (for example), which is not limited to the above roaming caps. More applicable is this link: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simp ... 78&irgwc=1, which provides "Coverage in Mexico and Canada - Use your phone just like at home with unlimited calls to and from Mexico and Canada, including mobile numbers, plus access to your high-speed data, at no additional charge."
Hmm, looks like you are right. If it's working for you, enjoy
Apr 29, 2007
72 posts
13 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Hmm, looks like you are right. If it's working for you, enjoy
As mentioned above, I didn't try for more than a one and a half months. During that time, data worked great. However, as mentioned above, phone call quality was not usable long term due to high latency.