Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
FAQ / Details

What you need for Quick Activation:

- eSIM Compatible Smartphone [iPhone XR / XS or newer]

For Pixel Users, I did test eSIM, EID could not be activated online -- did not try to call in to activate as I was just testing and didn't have a need -- I know the phone is eligible and whitelisted as I have used it on prepaid physical sim AT&T in USA since the requirement came into effect, just goes to show Apple's deployment vs other manufacturers. You can purchase a eSIM QR Code from eBay or other sources and activate that, then scan it with your phone.

⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️As others have clarified, this is a AT&T USA Deal, so you’ll be getting a USA phone number, there is no exception.⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️

⚠️Important for Non-iPhone & Non eSIM Activation Users [Meaning you are using a physical SIM card such as Micro/Nano SIM etc]: Make sure your device is whitelisted CLICK HERE TO SEE AT&T LIST

⚠️You may purchase a AT&T SIM from Amazon / eBay or someone on Kijiji / Facebook Marketplace that may be selling a unactivated SIM as if you plan to purchase SIM from AT&T, they will only ship to a US Address [They are a US company.....after-all so please don't ask if they will....because they won't ship outside of USA. Since you are in Canada, you will need to get a SIM from other means.]

Payment Requirement:

Option 1:
- You may be able to use your Canadian CC:
- Usually MC is more lax with online purchases vs VISA. You may be able to use your Postal Code as Zip [Example L4L1K3 = 41300 ZIP if needed for your CC, although they do have Canada available in the list, website is a little buggy with dropdown menu on MAC at least]

Give AT&T a call once you are at the payment screen and have installed the eSIM so you have your AT&T Prepaid number in hand, tell them you are having issue making payment online and need help. They’ll take it over the phone.

M - F, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT
Sa - Su, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT

Option 2:
- US CC or one of those Cross Border CC's

Option 3: Purchase Refill PIN's from NewEgg USA // Target, BestBuy USA, Walmart USA also sell, but I've had Walmart USA reject my online orders before at random.

Option 4: Per User: ghhfff -- You can use PayPal as well, however you need to attach a US billing address on your PayPal and then you can use your Canadian CC

Option 5:
Asuras wrote: Bought a $25 refill card from Newegg to activate and then paid rest with Canadian cc in dashboard.

In Future you can top up using a service like callingmart by purchasing real time refills x3 [since $100 is max] before your renewal date, and for those callingmart for example, usually has promo codes like 3-5% off, I’ve used callingmart for over a decade and they been reliable for refills. Or once you get to the payment stage, you can call into AT&T and have them take your payment, give the new phone number [because phone # shows up on your iPhone right away once eSIM line is added even though it doesn't get service until you pay]

Signup Process:

Step 1: Head over to: https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html [on your computer i recommend because ATT Capcha is annoying].

Step 2: in the EID copy and paste the full EID from Settings - General - About and fill in your info including preferred ZIP for your preferred tax free state (number assigned to you will be from that state) or if you plan to port in a USA number you already have on like Google Voice, make sure to input "Service Zip Code" that matches the US State your number is from.

--> States without Sales Tax: Oregon, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire
--> States with low Tax: Alabama (2%), Colorado (2.9%), Hawaii (4%), Louisiana (4%), Missouri (4.23%), New Mexico (4%), New York (4%), North Carolina (3%), Oklahoma (3.25%), South Dakota (4%), and Virginia (4.15%).

Step 3: your iPhone will prompt you to install the eSIM, complete that. Be sure to turn on data roaming for the newly added eSIM line.

Follow rest of steps, make payment and you are done.

I activated 1 eSIM line doing this in less than 10 mins.

Other helpful info (Things I’ve done / accomplished):
- if you have that free lifetime Windscribe VPN from a little while ago, great time to use it to lock in on a Canadian IP, as sometimes some sensitive apps may point out that you are on a usa IP (not that it’s a bad thing)

- Turn off stream saver to stream high quality videos instead of the 480P if you want full quality automatically.

- AT&T has provisioned the Manual Network Selection (MNS) option to be not user selectable, however you can contact AT&T support (might take you multiple tries) and have them turn it ON, otherwise Your phone will roam on all networks, depending on your area and best coverage and there isn’t anything wrong with this option, I opened to get MNS enabled as my primary CA line is already Telus and would prefer to roam on Rogers so I have access to best of both.
Asuras wrote: Was able to get MNS enabled by calling the support for travel abroad number (408 962-1025), took less than 30 minutes.
Another # for MNS Enable: International Care +1 (314) 925 6925

What you get?, as per OP:
- VoLTE
- 16GB Data / month [LTE/5G] and 1 month unused data roll over, up to 8GB gets rolled over into next month (Plan is 8GB + 8GB Bonus).
- Unlimited Talk/Text [International Texting]/Data in Canada/USA/Mexico
- 16GB Hotspot [or more if you have roll over data for that specific month]
- Voicemail etc.
Total: $300USD/Year [Approx. $386 CAD].

White Heavy Check Mark Regional Indicator Symbol Letters CaBest Companion Canadian Plan:
Freedom Mobile $129 Nationwide Unlimited Talk and Text Plan
- Supports WiFi Calling = Call / Text over WiFi network anywhere in the world [Not limited to Canada]
- Unlimited Canada Wide Calling
- Unlimited Global Texting
- Works with 2 Factor Authentication (2FA), as it allows incoming sms FREE while roaming outside Canada or on WiFi Calling while on WiFi network.

White Heavy Check Mark Best VoIP Companion Plan, Hushed Stacksocial $60USD Lifetime Plan has some great value in terms of usage, because you won't want to run out of SMS and/or data as you will need to most likely move your # out of hushed and back in, if you were buy another lifetime plan later....wasting the cheaper one should you get one.....or they offer an unlimited Talk/Text plan for $47.99USD/year.

The plan is better than Fongo, TextNow and many other solutions as they do not provide all of these below mentioned features

Great features that standout:
1) Call Forwarding to any CA/US #
2) Making outgoing calls via Call Management that initiates the call on hushed's system and calls your SIM # so you aren't dependent on Data/WiFi....very convenient feature.
3) 12500 / 2500 combined SMS / Calls [Combined not together so its a and/or situation] per year or Unlimited Talk/Text w/ Unlimited Yearly Plan

One of the cool things I have done is found a # from USA that is literally one digit off my local # in Canada as for obvious reason we don't share Area codes with USA, however city codes are same and last 4 digits same can be found in USA all over.

Example:
647 = ON Area code, 646 = NY Area code. Then you just find your same: xxx-xxxx :D
416 = ON Area Code, 417 = Missouri Area Code / 412 = PA / 413 = MA etc etc Then you just find your same: xxx-xxxx :D --> CHECK MORE HERE

The following only applies if you plan to have only AT&T Service with the US # and ditch your Canadian number completely, these are the known apps/services that do not support Verification codes:

- RBC (they use the app for 2FA but will occasionally send out a verification sms if you change devices often)
Last edited by Samshares on Nov 3rd, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Mar 21, 2008
146 posts
77 upvotes
Sorry if it’s been mentioned, but this is a big thread…

Is it possible to skip the whole sim shopping process with this and to direct esim out of the gate?

I’d set this up today if so, but the physical sim issue complicates things.
Jun 7, 2009
893 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto
oshawapilot wrote: Sorry if it’s been mentioned, but this is a big thread…

Is it possible to skip the whole sim shopping process with this and to direct esim out of the gate?

I’d set this up today if so, but the physical sim issue complicates things.
Literally the post above yours.
Mar 21, 2008
146 posts
77 upvotes
Fair (ok, I hadn’t scrolled all the way to the last page before replying lol), but having read the first few pages as well as other posts elsewhere I was lead to believe Esim was only an option *after* you had received and activated the physical sim.

I’ll do some remedial reading. Winking Face
Mar 21, 2008
146 posts
77 upvotes
Update: Method above is no-joy on my iPhone 12 - the portal will not recognize the ICCID number. Have verified it several times.
Feb 2, 2011
117 posts
19 upvotes
Yorkdale
Try using the EID not the ICCID, it higher up on the about info page
Mar 21, 2008
146 posts
77 upvotes
CanadaTuzi wrote: Try using the EID not the ICCID, it higher up on the about info page
Nope, just another error using the EID.

“Oops, something went wrong“.. Vague.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1218 posts
1055 upvotes
Montreal
try from a pc and use the long number

have gotten that message before
oshawapilot wrote: Nope, just another error using the EID.

“Oops, something went wrong“.. Vague.
Mar 21, 2008
146 posts
77 upvotes
A few more tries and it did finally go through. Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
oshawapilot wrote: A few more tries and it did finally go through. Thanks.
Ya, AT&T website is buggy, I have a US # on GV, that I am porting to this plan, and had to cancel my initial line [they refunded since it only had been 1 day] as AT&T requires accounts be activated with a number from the same geo location, example if you have a east coast number that you want to port in, your AT&T number currently active on your prepaid line must be from the same geo location [they have like West, NW, East, North East, South etc etc etc, just found out lol.
Jun 16, 2019
24 posts
6 upvotes
post #201 worked great for me with using my brim credit card, there was fields to choose Canada, province and have to do the trick with postal codes "21300" my esim showed up under settings for my iphone 13 pro.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1824 posts
1339 upvotes
yashgandhi wrote: Bell and Telus never had 2G - GSM network. They had CDMA network and then they moved on to UMTS, LTE, and now to 5G
This may be true for Bell, but not for Telus. Post Clearnet M&A, they ran hodge podge of GSM, CDMA until they migrated and integrated the whole to UMTS. They then worked with Bell on the roaming agreements to build a single set of LTE towers across Canada.

It seems all the Canadian Wireless providers that were part of the Stentor Alliance were fond of CDMA.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
Gr8irlbot wrote: This may be true for Bell, but not for Telus. Post Clearnet M&A, they ran hodge podge of GSM, CDMA until they migrated and integrated the whole to UMTS. They then worked with Bell on the roaming agreements to build a single set of LTE towers across Canada.

It seems all the Canadian Wireless providers that were part of the Stentor Alliance were fond of CDMA.
Lets just hope we get some Solid 5G with low frequencies, because these higher frequency networks are still no match for the original 2G.....at least in terms of reach, when you are far and out, the last thing you want is just a connection to call, who cares about data at that point.

3G had the largest buildout of any network type in our history, I feel LTE never overlaid 100% of 3G coverage, and now we are on another rat race to 5G....and soon 6G...
May 5, 2020
2 posts
3 upvotes
Very detailed. Nice post!

Just adding some of my personal experience.

The service area postal code determines the area code of the phone number (ex. 503 for Portland Oregon), but it is the billing address that determines the tax.

I found luck using PayPal (with my Rogers WEMC), just you need to add a US billing address (used to calculate tax). I signed up for $50 (22g highspeed), because I just want to try the service first before signing up for 12 months. I will see how the speed goes after 22G.

Manual Network Selection (MNS): took me several tries, but got that eventually. I don't know if it is a recent change, in downtown Toronto, I am able to get 700+ Mbps on Rogers 5G, usually, only Bell/Telus can achieve that, maybe a recent upgrade? So maybe worth a try to roam on Rogers to see the speed.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1218 posts
1055 upvotes
Montreal
The unlimited max or the plain unlimited?

There is a specific thread on the max plan somewhere around here

This is not the same plan and does not have 5G

so might confuse some people…
ghhfff wrote: Very detailed. Nice post!

The service area postal code determines the area code of the phone number (ex. 503 for Portland Oregon), but it is the billing address that determines the tax.

I found luck using PayPal (with my Rogers WEMC), just you need to add a US billing address (used to calculate tax). I signed up for $50 (22g highspeed), because I just want to try the service first before signing up for 12 months. I will see how the speed goes after 22G.

Manual Network Selection (MNS): took me several tries, but got that eventually. I don't know if it is a recent change, in downtown Toronto, I am able to get 700+ Mbps on Rogers 5G, usually, only Bell/Telus can achieve that, maybe a recent upgrade? So maybe worth a try to roam on Rogers to see the speed.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1218 posts
1055 upvotes
Montreal
Just to be very clear the 300 yearly plan does not come with 5G neither in Canada or in USA

please refer to unlimited max thread for any info regarding 5G on that plan

Jul 2, 2013
369 posts
122 upvotes
VANCOUVER
souledge wrote: Unlimited Starter?

Is your Telus plan $10/month?
yeah. you need to have telus internet or tv at home.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada

I am not sure if its just the billing address, because I got a Oregon number, but my US CC Billing is in IN.....didn't pay any tax other than OR 911 fee and 1 other $1 fee [came out to like $302.xxUSD]....first time I got a IN # with IN billing, got dinged with tax, so will need yet another confirmation of someone else doing it 3rd time or you doing it next time lol.

I had to get OR # because the google voice # i wanted to port in wasn't eligible unless I had a ATT Prepaid # from the same market as AT&T divides up the US into several different rate center markets, forcing me to cancel my 1st 1 year line.

Those are some incredible speeds, since I am on iPhone 11 and won't be going newer until iPhone 14 and since I already have my solid Telus plan for Canada, I am ok with LTE. I'm sure in the future once 5G becomes old news they'll update it with access on these older plans as well.
Last edited by Samshares on Jul 20th, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1796 posts
1588 upvotes
Canada
Nice thing about AT&T Prepaid is that WiFi Calling works even when you are on a call on your Canadian line by using its Data rather than dropping to NO SERVICE, I love the way AT&T has implemented their service.

My Telus line drops to NO service when I am on a call on my AT&T line, as expected from the Canadian carriers.
Oct 13, 2009
40 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Has anyone been able to get this plan running on a Canadian S22 ultra? Or is it a iPhone only thing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)