AT&t

Prepaid 1 year with 16GB North America data monthly - $300 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2022 7:12 pm
Jun 7, 2009
764 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
perfchris wrote: My point to you both is that if there was a positive outcome it would have been spelled out.

Search this forum link at the top of the page and search Alaska.

Do you know how we all got to be senior members ?

We searched, we read and trial and error!

Enjoy reading how your theory does not work!

Saying so directly would’ve been more effective than sarcastically linking a thread.

If you’ve forgotten, I was also a contributor to that thread. No one, to my recollection, had tried the specific Alaska zip code mentioned before today.
Jun 7, 2009
764 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Samshares wrote:
EDIT; I tried, it and ZIP 99923 does not assign a BC #, instead it assigns a general Alaska #, 907 area code.

I did spend time researching, but did not see anyone else report back this result.

People talked about loosing their bonus data, not being able to port in a number due to rate center differences, which do exist with AT&T and I know they ask you to create a new account if you are moving a number from another rate center zones, in Canada we don't really get to experience these issues.

So with that being said, what do you know?
Googling 99923 says it has a 907 area code.

I see, Hyder’s landlines are serviced by BC, but I suppose the mobile numbers aren’t bound by the same restriction. I wonder what would happen if someone with a Hyder number wanted to port their number to a mobile phone. Is their landline phone bill in USD or CAD?

Ah, I see, most of Hyder, AK’s daily business is conducted in CAD with the exception of the USPS. They’re basically Canadian, and close enough to the Canada border to probably be serviced by Telus for mobile.

Wouldn’t want to live there as an American though, if your only other connection to the outside world is across another country’s border.
Jun 7, 2009
764 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Samshares wrote: I’m doing this with my number.

My usa number is like:

406-123-1234

Canadian number is:
416-123-1234

So it makes it easy for me and everyone to remember
For voice usage, I’d recommend a textnow number anyway.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1597 posts
1329 upvotes
Canada
souledge wrote: For voice usage, I’d recommend a textnow number anyway.
Nah this works out best.

I don’t have to fumble with so many different digits, nor people.

I believe in simplifying things as well as possible and for me this works, plus since I travel to usa often, it works out great, I give out my usa number where needed.
T-Mobile 30-Day Unlimited T/T/Data Trial FAQ SEE MY POST
AT&T 16GB CA/US/MX $300USD/Yr -- DEAL FAQ❗: SEE MY POST
Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera FAQ❗ ➡ SEE MY POST
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1744 posts
1173 upvotes
Near You
Linhnd2000 wrote: not to hijack the thread but I found this service provider (already mentioned in RFD before but thread probably closed) in France that has pretty insane plans eur10/mo or eur20/mo that come with 25gb/mo roaming in north america as well as most of europe. Links below. My only issue is that I don't read French so I can't confirm whether they will require you to have majority of usage within any specific geographical area. If not it'll be a fantastic data plan for a lot of people. Can anyone help check the terms, please? and TIA.

eur10/mo: https://caraibe.free.fr/
eur20/mo https://mobile.free.fr/fiche-forfait-free
I have this plan, got via the kiosk in Paris this summer. Roams great in Europe, Canada, US, and Australia.

I read through the terms supplied, they have a FUP and will most likely cut you off after >3 months of continuous roaming outside of France. It's still a great plan if you travel a bunch, though.

In addition, unless you sign up with a limited period, the sim card becomes a rolling contract, which you have to cancel in the most French way possible, ie, by writing a letter in French to their headquarters in Paris delivered by registered mail.
• AMEX Platinum • Aeroplan Reserve • Cobalt • Bonvoy
• MC HSBC Premier WE• NBC WE • BRIM
• TD • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Google Fi • Free.fr
Aeroplan SE • DL Gold • Marriott Titanium • Hyatt Globalist •
Earn/burn, Fly the world
Mar 2, 2014
728 posts
394 upvotes
My theory on why ATT does not cut you off after some months of roaming - their presence in Automobiles. My Acura has cellular service feature that works in US/Canada for $20/month. It uses ATT sim embedded somewhere in the vehicle (if it's not eSim)

based on URLs, looks like it's also in BMW, Lexus
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37419 posts
23489 upvotes
Center of Universe
scorown wrote: My theory on why ATT does not cut you off after some months of roaming - their presence in Automobiles. My Acura has cellular service feature that works in US/Canada for $20/month. It uses ATT sim embedded somewhere in the vehicle (if it's not eSim)

Good theory and I wonder how much data vehicles are using.
My Ring alarm cellular backup is also provided by AT&T, but it’s only active when disconnected from wifi.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1597 posts
1329 upvotes
Canada
scorown wrote: My theory on why ATT does not cut you off after some months of roaming - their presence in Automobiles. My Acura has cellular service feature that works in US/Canada for $20/month. It uses ATT sim embedded somewhere in the vehicle (if it's not eSim)

There are big corporations that have employees traveling between the countries, use AT&T for reliability and its ability to roam on all.

So its not surprising to see BMW, Lexus, Acura, Ring and many others leverage AT&T's powerful roaming agreements to conduct business rather than having accounts with so many carriers in this part of the world. Clearly T-Mobile didnt get the memo nor google Fi [which would have been a solid contender for something like this since Fi can hop networks in USA and relies on T-Mobile roaming agreements outside of USA].
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1597 posts
1329 upvotes
Canada
Anyone know if it's possible to put a roaming block on Telus line like Freedom internally?

I've already tried the MNS option of locking onto Telus in Canada, and Telus is cleaver, after so many hours, the phone just goes into no service and forces you to select a roaming carrier.....last time I was in the US, I had "Using Cellular Data from AT&T" and made many calls, until some hours later into my day 1, that it went into no service, almost like Telus system figured out the US IP of my AT&T and decided its been too many hours and force No Service to force me to turn MNS off.

Figured this thread would be the best place to ask since we have so many knowledgeable individuals running different secondary plans.
Last edited by Samshares on Oct 1st, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1172 posts
1011 upvotes
Montreal
Respectfully speaking you have gone way off topic again…..

Would recommend you take this to a telus specific group such as one on reddit

Do you still even have the art prepaid plan that’s discussed here anymore ?
Samshares wrote: Anyone know if its possible to put a roaming block on Telus line like Freedom internally and force it to "Use Cellular Data"?

I am on the Telus $45/25GB Winback plan, and recently was able to add a $0 CA-US Tablet plan to share data, meaning my tablet sim will have Roaming covered in USA while my mainline plan doesn't. If there is a international block that exists so the phone forces into No Service and use Cellular data from my tablet sim since it has a Canadian IP to begin with [I am well aware of the WiFi Calling not working for Telus outside of Canada even with a VPN running on the device and its got to do with the way operating systems like iOS route WiFi Calling despite VPN, so it doesn't work as it adheres to the carrier Geo Location block -- one way around this is running VPN on a router you carry around but then again that whole thing defeats the purpose]

I've already tried the MNS option of locking onto Telus in Canada, and Telus is cleaver, after so many hours, the phone just goes into no service and forces you to select a roaming carrier.....last time I was in the US, I had "Using Cellular Data from AT&T" and made many calls, until some hours later into my day 1, that it went into no service, almost like Telus system figured out the US IP of my AT&T and decided its been too many hours and force No Service to force me to turn MNS off.

Figured this thread would be the best place to ask since we have so many knowledgeable individuals running different secondary plans.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1597 posts
1329 upvotes
Canada
perfchris wrote: Respectfully speaking you have gone way off topic again…..

Would recommend you take this to a telus specific group such as one on reddit

Do you still even have the art prepaid plan that’s discussed here anymore ?
Yes, I do. That's why I am here, hasn't been a year since the $300/16GB plan was launched,

As for my question, everyone discusses about Freedom, I want to see if anyone has done the similar with Telus in recent times. Primary question is and was the International block, if its a possibility and the best place to ask such a question is where Canadians tend to force WiFi Calling conditions on plans, and there is no better place than AT&T threads from my research.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8082 posts
8710 upvotes
@Samshares I love learning from these discussions and everyone's shared interest, but I agree with @perfchris that this is going off topic and runs the risk of getting this thread locked. I think your questions and interest are worthy of its own separate thread in Cell Phones.
Jun 7, 2009
764 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Samshares wrote: Anyone know if it's possible to put a roaming block on Telus line like Freedom internally?

Are you trying to block Telus on your AT&T account or your Freedom account?

Somewhat confused with your situation.

Bell and Telus share the same towers (for the most part) so if you want Telus towers but don’t want to deal with Telus, just MNS to Bell.

Or just select Rogers, but maybe their service doesn’t cover you well.

If it’s a Telus plan, you’re best served on a Telus thread. If it’s a Freedom question, you might find help here, but you’re probably better off on a Freedom thread.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1597 posts
1329 upvotes
Canada
souledge wrote: Are you trying to block Telus on your AT&T account or your Freedom account?

Somewhat confused with your situation.

Bell and Telus share the same towers (for the most part) so if you want Telus towers but don’t want to deal with Telus, just MNS to Bell.

Or just select Rogers, but maybe their service doesn’t cover you well.

If it’s a Telus plan, you’re best served on a Telus thread. If it’s a Freedom question, you might find help here, but you’re probably better off on a Freedom thread.
Trying to find out if there is an international data block for telus.

Last time I was in the US, I was able to get telus to use WiFi calling via cellular data on my AT&T line without any VPN or anything, but it only worked for few hours, and then went to No Service for rest of the trip until I turned MNS to Auto.

So while they geo lock it, seems there is some condition that exists that can be tricked? Not sure.

I had selected Telus via MNS before leaving Canada manually.

I don’t pay for easy roam since I have AT&T line. Curious if a international data block exists for telus, and if it’s in place, if it would trigger WiFi calling via cellular like I had experienced (albeit for a short duration)
Jun 7, 2009
764 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn’t count on using Telus Wi-Fi calling outside of Canada.

For your use case, I’d port to Rogers if you really need that.
Nov 28, 2020
37 posts
9 upvotes
Just got a text from AT&T about the updated agreement:
The section that is relevant to roaming is as shown below.
Has it been updated or it was like this before? Would there be any impact to us using substantially outside of the states?

2.8.2 Use of Wireless Service while Outside the U.S.:
Your rate plan may include the capability to send and receive calls and text messages and use data for international roaming. Certain eligibility restrictions may apply to international roaming, which may be based on Wireless Service tenure, payment history and/or credit. We may in our sole discretion block or remove your ability to use international roaming until our eligibility criteria is met.

International roaming rates apply to any calls made or received, messages sent, and data used while outside the U.S. International roaming rates are subject to change without notice and vary by country. If you do not subscribe to an international roaming package or plan, you will be charged pay-per-use rates that may be substantially higher on a per unit basis than international package rates. Coverage within other countries and territories may vary depending on your Device type, plan and package and may be changed by us at any time without notice. For rates, coverage, countries and details, see att.com/global.

We may send courtesy “alert" messages when your Device connects to a wireless network in another country to notify you of international roaming data use. There is no guarantee you will receive these alerts and they are not a guarantee of a particular bill limit.

You may be charged international roaming voice airtime usage rates when incoming calls are routed to voicemail, even if no message is left, for both the incoming call and the call forward to voicemail. You may also incur those roaming charges for unanswered calls if your Device is powered off if you previously had turned it on and allowed it to register on a foreign carrier’s network; there may be a lag time between when you power off your Device and when you are no longer registered on the foreign carrier’s network. You will be charged for all data usage, including without limitation your use of messaging apps, visual voicemail and access to cloud-based services. You may also be charged taxes on international roaming rates. Billing for international roaming usage may be delayed up to three billing cycles due to the time it takes for wireless carriers to report international roaming usage.

Please note that substantial charges may be incurred if your Device is taken out of the U.S. even if international roaming is not intentionally used. Many Devices have preloaded and downloaded apps that transmit and receive data without user intervention and can generate unexpected charges when your Device is powered on outside the U.S. If you want to block international roaming services, please call 314.925.6925 (at no charge from your AT&T wireless phone).