Food & Drink

T&T Supermarket moving into Fairview Mall (previously returning to downtown TO - 301 College west of Spadina)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2021 8:29 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15375 posts
8286 upvotes
Toronto

T&T Supermarket moving into Fairview Mall (previously returning to downtown TO - 301 College west of Spadina)

Long awaited central-ish TO return after Cherry St. closure seems official
Dailyhive is reporting they're already looking for employees

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/tt-superm ... w-location
Last edited by jenviea on Nov 24th, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
77 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3643 posts
328 upvotes
That's great news, I could rarely ever get to the Cherry st location and this is easily accessible via TTC.

The photo has the sign ontop of where the TD bank is, I wonder if they're taking both floors?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19928 posts
6857 upvotes
Toronto
Shimso wrote: That's great news, I could rarely ever get to the Cherry st location and this is easily accessible via TTC.
evilYoda wrote: no free parking
Parking is not an issue when public transit is a short walk to the Spadina Streetcar and already a College streetcar right there.
For exercise sake, one could argue it's not all that far from the Bathurst streetcar either, but I don't encourage that when the College streetcar might be right there to get you to Bathurst easily anyway.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3974 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
not a good location to attract customers, imo.
should be on front street e. or queens quay, which are easily reached by ttc streetcar and is very close to downtown.
plus the t and t will take away business from small businesses in chinatown (spadina , dundas businesses). not cool when those mom and pop businesses are struggling during covid lockdowns
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19928 posts
6857 upvotes
Toronto
oicthat2013 wrote: not a good location to attract customers, imo.
should be on front street e. or queens quay, which are easily reached by ttc streetcar and is very close to downtown
College Streetcar is right there. What more do you want? Spadina Streetcar is a very short walk from the store. (a lot closer than Bathurst)
Front Street e and Queens quay are also farther away from Spadina subway station.

One good spot (square footage pending) might be where the liquor store used to be @ Spadina & King, once a condo is officially built. (with the grocery store on the main level)
Until then, College & Spadina will have to do.
(or they could put a CityMarket @ Spadina & King, if desired...)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5166 posts
3458 upvotes
Haven't been to any T&T since the downtown Cherry Street closed in January 2020. My last visit that month was also my very first time seeing many customers wearing masks doing their shopping in a supermarket. At the time, I thought it was so weird and felt transported to some place like Japan where masks have been worn there for decades. A year and a half later, what an after thought of my final trip to T&T where masks are now a normal thing worn everywhere we go.

Here's hoping my visit to the new store, I won't have to wear a mask to grocery shop at the store in autumn 2021.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5782 posts
4414 upvotes
ya this is what T&T cherry street looked like almost 1 year ago
T&T.jpg
Jan 12, 2017
851 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: ya this is what T&T cherry street looked like almost 1 year ago
T&T.jpg
Anyone remember when this was a Knob Hill Farms? What a dump that was!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
I think I forgot that the Cherry St T&T was gone...why? Hard to believe an Asian supermarket not getting enough business.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
UrbanPoet wrote: That was a knob hill farms? I remember knob hill farms being such a magical place...
with laundry baskets for groceries.
Ya, some memories...think they were white hard cardboard boxes w cutouts for handles and that ox logo.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7572 posts
3836 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Parking is not an issue when public transit is a short walk to the Spadina Streetcar and already a College streetcar right there.
For exercise sake, one could argue it's not all that far from the Bathurst streetcar either, but I don't encourage that when the College streetcar might be right there to get you to Bathurst easily anyway.
There are plenty of people who do not use public transit & wanna be able to take their car to make transporting their groceries home much easier. For example if someone has many bags of groceries & not just a bag or 2
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
I hope it is not a scaled down version of a proper tnt....like cherry st was.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
tranquility922 wrote: I think I forgot that the Cherry St T&T was gone...why? Hard to believe an Asian supermarket not getting enough business.
Ironically with the pandemic it could have stayed for the duration.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
evilYoda wrote: ya this is what T&T cherry street looked like almost 1 year ago
T&T.jpg
Wow. I totally forgot how fast it died. It was very good but I was always unhappy that it was about 60 percent of what is in a typically TNT. Was like a tnt light
Jan 12, 2017
851 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: That was a knob hill farms? I remember knob hill farms being such a magical place...
Yeah it was: https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/0 ... s-toronto/

I remember it was pretty rundown with a sketchy bar at the entrance where old dudes were always sitting around smoking and birds flying around all over the place. Another location opened up at Carlaw/Gerrard and my parents decided to go to that one instead since it was much cleaner.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5166 posts
3458 upvotes
^ The Carlaw/Gerrard location I used to get freaked out watching the butcher use the very dangerous saw to cut the meat there. LOL

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19928 posts
6857 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: There are plenty of people who do not use public transit & wanna be able to take their car to make transporting their groceries home much easier. For example if someone has many bags of groceries & not just a bag or 2
The same can be said about public transit. There are plenty who pay one monthly price to get around. If anything is going to be such a big deal, maybe there should be a taxi stand installed to really simplify things. (outside of money, lol)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)