Food & Drink

T&T Supermarket - latest TO expansion North York Centre?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2023 12:02 pm
Dec 18, 2014
371 posts
466 upvotes
GTA
CEO Tina Lee knew that when they closed down the Cherry St location that "customers would be devastated" lol

It'll be really good if they can go 24/7. Great for the hospital workers who are around the corner.

If they were truly Asian, they would offer shuttle buses to/from major hubs hehe.. Transportation & parking solved.
Jul 8, 2019
186 posts
251 upvotes
kyroshi wrote: It'll be really good if they can go 24/7. Great for the hospital workers who are around the corner.
The Galleria Korean supermarket in Thornhill is open 24/7. Surprised no T&T has ever thought of doing the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
dubbers wrote: The Galleria Korean supermarket in Thornhill is open 24/7. Surprised no T&T has ever thought of doing the same.
T&T warden and Steeles is open 24/7 before the pandemic. Now I am not sure.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
dubbers wrote: The Galleria Korean supermarket in Thornhill is open 24/7. Surprised no T&T has ever thought of doing the same.
and how much business does it do after 9pm? You can bet T&T analyzed that and like walmart, decided 24/7 didnt make them money or lost them money.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: The same can be said about public transit. There are plenty who pay one monthly price to get around. If anything is going to be such a big deal, maybe there should be a taxi stand installed to really simplify things. (outside of money, lol)
How would having free parking deter public commuters? You said parking isn't an issue because people can take the bus. That really doesn't solve the problem since plenty of people are buying multiple bags of groceries & don't wanna deal with it on a bus. When I go to a supermarket I see plenty of people who have a cart full of groceries. There are plenty of people who will not go to a supermarket if there's no free parking. Having free parking, will not deter public commuters since it doesn't affect them
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: How would having free parking deter public commuters? You said parking isn't an issue because people can take the bus. That really doesn't solve the problem since plenty of people are buying multiple bags of groceries & don't wanna deal with it on a bus. When I go to a supermarket I see plenty of people who have a cart full of groceries. There are plenty of people who will not go to a supermarket if there's no free parking. Having free parking, will not deter public commuters since it doesn't affect them
A Taxi stand or designated area for taxis is good so that those who buy more than they intended to (who got there by bus) can grab a taxi without having to call for one.
I go through life without a car myself, and 99% of the time public transit gets me home, but indeed, a taxi sometimes is just plain smart.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: A Taxi stand or designated area for taxis is good so that those who buy more than they intended to (who got there by bus) can grab a taxi without having to call for one.
I go through life without a car myself, and 99% of the time public transit gets me home, but indeed, a taxi sometimes is just plain smart.
Thats fine for public commuters, but people who have a car are not gonna pay for a taxi to use a supermarket, they will go to a supermarket with free parking.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
Do the whole foods thing - free parking stamp if over $15 of purchase.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: Thats fine for public commuters, but people who have a car are not gonna pay for a taxi to use a supermarket, they will go to a supermarket with free parking.
Parking is there.
It's just not free. ($5/hr)
If T&T can work something out with the imPARK company, free parking can still happen (guaranteed revenue, paid by Loblaws) but if imPark is already fully satisfied with their profit without the help of T&T reserved spaces, it's not going to happen.
I'm actually having trouble trying to understand how free parking can be done at this location...maybe with purchases over $100?
That's strictly a guess, since something has to pay for that parking...more than just one $5/hr space.
https://www.impark.com/toronto/297-college-street/
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
kyroshi wrote: CEO Tina Lee knew that when they closed down the Cherry St location that "customers would be devastated" lol

It'll be really good if they can go 24/7. Great for the hospital workers who are around the corner.

If they were truly Asian, they would offer shuttle buses to/from major hubs hehe.. Transportation & parking solved.
If I’m not mistaken, there was a brief time when there was a union to cherry St t and t shuttle. I could be wrong or maybe confusing it with the shuttle to Vaughn mills.

Sound familiar to anyone?

I used to enjoy that cheery location for easy access off the dvp and the don roadway.

As for urban grocery store users. It’s very common to have people arrive by transit or foot and taxi home. Many grocery stores have a phone that dials the taxi for you. In Vancouver the taxis even help load and unload groceries. particularly seniors. We also have an urban Costco that gets plenty of people buying full carts and filling up taxis or uber.

If one had a car they would probably go to somewhere with parking. It’s possibly they’ll subsidize parking with minimum purchase. I mean the overlords are loblaw and not a traditional low cost Chinese supermarket model
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Parking is there.
If T&T can work something out with the imPARK company, free parking can still happen (guaranteed revenue, paid by Loblaws) but if imPark is already fully satisfied with their profit without the help of T&T reserved spaces, it's not going to happen.
I'm actually having trouble trying to understand how free parking can be done at this location...maybe with purchases over $100?
That's strictly a guess, since something has to pay for that parking...more than just one $5/hr space.
Yes, everyone knows there's always parking if you're willing to pay for it. Its a disincentive for a lot of drivers as many supermarkets have free parking so drivers would rather go where its free. For supermarkets without a parking lot, I've been to supermarkets where they subsidize 1.5 hrs parking (eg Impark garage) with minimum purchase. Sometimes its as low as $10 minimum purchase (out of Toronto), sometimes $20 minimum purchase. In Toronto, it would more likely be minimum $20 purchase, which I think is still reasonable
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
playnicee1 wrote: Parking is there.
Manulife. Building offers 2 hours free for $25+ and has a grocery store and lcbo which makes it easy to hit
Autocorrect sucks
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
college /spadina makes a lot of sense....

but i think this is going to drive a lot of small chinese groceries out, if they haven't been out of business yet
that's going to be a shame because for a lot of these people, that would be their livelihood
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
noobienoob wrote: college /spadina makes a lot of sense....

but i think this is going to drive a lot of small chinese groceries out, if they haven't been out of business yet
that's going to be a shame because for a lot of these people, that would be their livelihood
Would it though? T&T charges premium prices.
Chinatown groceries are cheaper
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Would it though? T&T charges premium prices.
Chinatown groceries are cheaper
It depends on what you buy, plus the flyer specials, etc...
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: It depends on what you buy, plus the flyer specials, etc...
that's what i was thinking too...
T&T has the power of bulk buying, though i actually think some of their produces (veggies etc) are not as fresh sometimes

I do wonder if the demographics/income level of that area is changing though?
Hope those people growing up there, can make a better life for themselves now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)