• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 2:31 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
645 upvotes

T&T Supermarket to offer temperature checks for customers in most stores

T&T Supermarket says it will begin this service starting on Monday, April 20, with an employee checking the temperatures of people entering through the entrance.

T&T Supermarket was acquired by Loblaw Companies Ltd. in 2009 but remains independently operated. In an email, a spokesperson for Loblaw said the company "does not have similar plans at this time."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6838617/tt-s ... ronavirus/

This is a total waste of time. Why not install thermal camera like they have at the airports in Asia?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1609 posts
2302 upvotes
West
Sgtalpowell wrote: T&T Supermarket says it will begin this service starting on Monday, April 20, with an employee checking the temperatures of people entering through the entrance.

Loblaws, the parent company of T&T Supermarket, does not have any formal policy for temperature check measures at any of its other chains.

This is a total waste of time. Bringing more Mainland china rules & practices to Canada?
What else has been "brought" to Canada?

It's voluntary, and while it is far from foolproof, it really cannot hurt to do. We know that a large majority of those who will shop at T&T will have chinese backgrounds, and therefore believe in these practices. We also know that one of the biggest concerns of essential employees is the potential of being exposed to COVID-19. If a business is trying to make their employees and/or customers feel at ease, how can one truly blame them?

I think this falls under the category of: don't like it = decline it or shop elsewhere. No need to criticize a business that seems to be doing something well-intentioned, even if there is a potential business motivator with it. The question will be what the heck they'll do if someone is right on the border of fever, especially with how unreliable skin temperature can be. I certianly wouldn't want to be the one at the door trying to enforce the rule... just asking for more people to threaten to spit/cough on you.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3782 posts
2585 upvotes
Vancouver
Don’t like it? Shop elsewhere. I don’t think T&T will miss the business from customers looking buy cream cheese.

Similar to masks, these are proven practices that work elsewhere like Korea and China.
Apr 10, 2020
283 posts
1055 upvotes
Sgtalpowell wrote: T&T Supermarket says it will begin this service starting on Monday, April 20, with an employee checking the temperatures of people entering through the entrance.

T&T Supermarket was acquired by Loblaw Companies Ltd. in 2009 but remains independently operated. In an email, a spokesperson for Loblaw said the company "does not have similar plans at this time."

This is a total waste of time. Why not install thermal camera like they have at the airports in Asia?
I don't see a problem with it. I think it's a good way to enforce some security measures to make sure that everyone that enters their store is not a potential carrier. After all, it's their store and they can make their own rules. They don't want to end up closing their business simply due to a lack of hygienic procedures that could been preventable, especially when one of their employees start getting symptoms.

Call it what you want, but I see it as a step in the right direction. Many Asian supermarkets have already implemented the requirement to wear masks to shop at their store. Some have even placed a sanitizing station at the front with gloves, hand sanitizer, and alcohol sprays before you enter the supermarket. It's only fair for putting their business and their employees' safety ahead.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5055 posts
2237 upvotes
Spinner wrote: Don’t like it? Shop elsewhere. I don’t think T&T will miss the business from customers looking buy cream cheese.
Did you know that T&T is owned by Loblaws? Which is owned by some cream cheese guy? I am pretty sure that's the type of customer you mean.
Apr 10, 2020
283 posts
1055 upvotes
renoldman wrote: Did you know that T&T is owned by Loblaws? Which is owned by some cream cheese guy? I am pretty sure that's the type of customer you mean.
The point being made is not that Loblaws owns T&T, but rather the variety of products and demographic that it caters to. People will not be going to T&T to buy cream cheese. Sure, they may be able to buy it there, but they can do so at other grocery stores like Metro, Food Basics, Walmart, and other places where temperature checks are not needed. Most people going to T&T will be buying mainly Asian products. So even if it is owned by Loblaws, it operates separately from other brands owned by Loblaws and is managed by another team.

At the end of the day, people are not obligated to shop at T&T if they don't want their temperature to be checked at the front. They can easily make their purchases online and have their stuff delivered to their doorstep. They can also visit any Loblaws-branded supermarket to buy their Asian products, albeit fewer offerings, that can also be found at T&T.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5055 posts
2237 upvotes
I just found the thread that the cream cheese comment is likely based off of, it still sounds oddly racist.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9483 posts
4693 upvotes
Markham

I bet if they install thermal cameras , someone will come here to complain they invade privacy

But that employee who test temperature better well trained and protected, otherwise he will infect even more people
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3215 posts
3225 upvotes
GTA
GeneralStore wrote: I don't see a problem with it. I think it's a good way to enforce some security measures to make sure that everyone that enters their store is not a potential carrier. After all, it's their store and they can make their own rules. They don't want to end up closing their business simply due to a lack of hygienic procedures that could been preventable, especially when one of their employees start getting symptoms.

Call it what you want, but I see it as a step in the right direction. Many Asian supermarkets have already implemented the requirement to wear masks to shop at their store. Some have even placed a sanitizing station at the front with gloves, hand sanitizer, and alcohol sprays before you enter the supermarket. It's only fair for putting their business and their employees' safety ahead.
The employee most likely to get symptoms will be the one taking customer temperatures who will then spread the virus to other customers by not maintaining social distancing touching them with an infected device. It takes 2-10 minutes for a disinfecting wipe to kill the virus and the item must remain wet with the cleaner. Just giving the thermometer a quick wipe between checks won't be effective.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4577 upvotes
Alberta
tew wrote: The employee most likely to get symptoms will be the one taking customer temperatures who will then spread the virus to other customers by not maintaining social distancing touching them with an infected device. It takes 2-10 minutes for a disinfecting wipe to kill the virus and the item must remain wet with the cleaner. Just giving the thermometer a quick wipe between checks won't be effective.
x2. A good reason why not to go to T&T.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2088 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
Useless.

If you do have a temperature, you just need to pop a couple of pills to bring your temp to an 'acceptable' level to pass the test.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: The employee most likely to get symptoms will be the one taking customer temperatures who will then spread the virus to other customers by not maintaining social distancing touching them with an infected device. It takes 2-10 minutes for a disinfecting wipe to kill the virus and the item must remain wet with the cleaner. Just giving the thermometer a quick wipe between checks won't be effective.
Wouldn't they be using a thermal gun? Don't they have ones that can be operated from a safe distance?
You make it sound like the employee will be placing a thermometer in the mouth of each customer....
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18754 upvotes
Its not a mandatory requirement it is voluntary.

In an email, T&T CEO Tina Lee said this is a “voluntary service” beginning Monday at “most of our stores.”
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2088 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
Pardon wrote: Its not a mandatory requirement it is voluntary.

In an email, T&T CEO Tina Lee said this is a “voluntary service” beginning Monday at “most of our stores.”
For example, why would someone who has a temperature and suspects they have the virus volunteer for a temperature check?

It makes no sense and for me creates more risk by having an extra person doing the test. Is this also in addition to the security guard as well?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3215 posts
3225 upvotes
GTA
shikotee wrote: Wouldn't they be using a thermal gun? Don't they have ones that can be operated from a safe distance?
You make it sound like the employee will be placing a thermometer in the mouth of each customer....
I know that they won't use and oral or ear thermometer but thought that they would use a forehead one. Looks like they will be using a thermal gun instead but they aren't very accurate from a distance and according to this article checking temperature isn't a great way to tell if you have been infected. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 56aadf2af9 "But don’t put too much stock in such screening. Again, remember that thermal screening can be as inaccurate as a dating profile."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: I know that they won't use and oral or ear thermometer but thought that they would use a forehead one. Looks like they will be using a thermal gun instead but they aren't very accurate from a distance and according to this article checking temperature isn't a great way to tell if you have been infected. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 56aadf2af9 "But don’t put too much stock in such screening. Again, remember that thermal screening can be as inaccurate as a dating profile."
I don't think T&T is trying to convince you that temperature check is fool proof.
It's just one of the many tools we are currently using to try and lower risk.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
There are a lot of posts here which don't actually respect the fact that actions like this have helped contain the spread of COVID-19 and have proven to be immensely helpful. For example, Taiwan has been doing this for ages and has a death/population rate of, essentially 0%.

In fact, I feel significantly safer going to a T&T than a Superstore, because the vast majority of shoppers wear masks at a T&T. It almost seems like the fact that this primarily Asian dominated store is a good thing rather than the assumption by many, reading in between the line, that it's more risky.

Having lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland China, it's relatively safe to say that people are more risk adverse and not as non nonchalant as a bunch of blue collar cities here in Ontario with respect to medical outbreaks.

I don't know why so many people object to these measures by T&T. 1) They are voluntary, and 2) These thermometers are contactless. Keep your mouth closed, hold your breath, close your eyes, while they take 3 seconds to get your temperature.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2618 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
smartie wrote:
But that employee who test temperature better well trained and protected, otherwise he will infect even more people
No they are not. Gen security peeps.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2618 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
T&T is late. Farm Fresh started the gun meter a month ago. Some old white dude security guy in his 70's couldnt even aim properly. He did it 3 times before I pointed to the winter headband and removed it. Then it works. *side eye* I dont get why peeps think it's an "Asian practice" when NASA invented the modern infrared thermometer though the english discovered radiation and infrared imaging in 1800.

I like Farm Fresh's sign out front.

NO Mask
NO Enter
NO Shopping

Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 15, 2006
582 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t forget a lot of positive cases do not have symptoms at all.