Food & Drink

T&T Supermarket or Oriental Food Mart?? GTA ppl~!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2006 3:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1480 posts
135 upvotes
T&T is taiwanese owned and operated. thats why when you see some of the prepared food, its catered to that style.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1312 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
For some of us we can't go to OFM and many others even if we like their prices. The atmosphere is too unpleasant for my ivory down coat :cheesygri I always wait in the car when my family goes to OFM. T&T OTH is fine because most people shopping there are young ppl not like the fobs at OFM.
PM for $125 Code off Peloton Bike
"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Dogs aren't our whole lives......they just make our lives whole.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1893 posts
11 upvotes
Candiana wrote:For some of us we can't go to OFM and many others even if we like their prices. The atmosphere is too unpleasant for my ivory down coat :cheesygri I always wait in the car when my family goes to OFM. T&T OTH is fine because most people shopping there are young ppl not like the fobs at OFM.
You can tell between FOB and nonFOB grocery shoppers???

T&T does have the occasional nice looking university girl though!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
artsreview wrote:Every Chinese mall in TO then was (is?) dirty and unfriendly. I wondered why we didn't have any such operation in Toronto?? And now we do!
Couldn't agree more. T&T uses exactly the mainstream retailers' inventory management methods, and leaves all other Chinese grocery stores in the dust.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
teknoluv wrote:Couldn't agree more. T&T uses exactly the mainstream retailers' inventory management methods, and leaves all other Chinese grocery stores in the dust.
too bad we're more on prices than inventory management methods... if they do leave them 'in the dust' then why do we still have tons of supermarkets (non T&T) popping up? or why are the incumbents still around and able to maintain profits?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
M-e-X-x wrote:too bad we're more on prices than inventory management methods... if they do leave them 'in the dust' then why do we still have tons of supermarkets (non T&T) popping up? or why are the incumbents still around and able to maintain profits?
First off, by following the mainstream inventory management methods, WE as customers can tell WHEN would be the best time to buy (we are all RFDers, are we?). More so, goods (esp. food) sold will not be way past expiry (you SURE have seen long expired products in those Chinese grocery stores). Last but not least, they (the "incumbents") are making profits because a) there are only 3 T&T in the whole GTA as of now and canNOT cover the whole market (who could?), and b) we as customers are losing. LOL!
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
tonic wrote:I just got back from the T&T in Promenade mall, it was very clean and tidy with a great selection. Haven't been to the other one (unless its the one at Yonge & Doncaster then I have) but will give it a try if I see it!
I've been to both T&T locations, and I like the one at Warden/Steeles better since it seems to be bigger and much more selection at the food court. :) Hope they will expand to Richmond Hill one day.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2028 upvotes
I can't believe some of you guys are even arguing about this. T&T wins hands down, no contest whatsoever. Who cares if you're paying a little more. I'd rather have a clean tidy store without having to worry about roaches and rats or the expiry date on the food I'm buying. Anyone remember the Big Land at Finch/Leslie? My god that place was disgusting. And there are far worse than that. Can you say "chinatown"? Besides the cleanliness, there is absolutely no comparison for the selection. Where are you going to get cooked food, bbq, sushi, bakery and veggies all in one place? I hope T&T does the same here in Ontario that it did back in BC and makes the competition wake up and try to be the same.
Jan 11, 2005
509 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
For my two cents... T&T is definitely more expensive compared to many other places.... T&T is the equivalent of a chinese version of Loblaws. In general T&T prices things much higher. I noticed this especially non-oriental items... they cost way way more than what No Frills is charging.

Not to sound racist/disrespectful or anything like that, but their target market is chinese (obviously) and I could imagine that by pricing non oriental items, they take advantage or people who wouldn't shop at say a No Frills or a Loblaws and may be less inclind to do a price comparison now that a Loblaws 'like' superstore has opened up in their neighbourhood.

Amongst other things... once I myself have seen some Chips Ahoy Chocolate Cookies at T&T sell for double of what No Frills would charge and to top it off the amount in the package at T&T was half of what was being sold at No Frills.

It's a good profit/$$$ maximizing strategy, they try to price things in a way to take advantage of the customers. I noticed that some stores near condos/appartments can charge higher prices... as their customers would be less willing to go elsewhere. It's all about positioning the supermarket in hopes of either monopolizing the area and to maximize profits.

Another thing is that some customers would rather shop at T&T than the other places as it is much much more cleaner. So you are paying for that too.
Jun 20, 2005
48 posts
Toronto
T&T over any other chinese super markets..
yes, they over price their stuff, but that's because their inventories are huge, and the place is clean, while no other chinese supermarkets are willing to offer that... imo, i'd rather pay a lil more and make sure the stuff im buying are not expired, and shop in a cleaner environment
Dec 16, 2003
682 posts
21 upvotes
Scar
i have been both OFM and T&T, when we know T &T got the stuff that we want on sale, we would go to T&T, else we would just go to OFM since the price is much better(vegetables and such)

the chinese supermarkets are getter cleaner and bigger nowadays, most of them are trying to operate it like the T&T style....
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Support independent grocery stores around your house... convenient and cheaper most of the time.
[Removed by the RFD Moderation Team]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
T&T dominated most of Vancouver now. There are many non oriental's shopping at my local T&T because some of the produce are cheaper than Superstore and some other local stores. It's all about location, like the local T&T in my area, it is built on a mall with HBC/Zellers, Futureshop, Sears, and many other large retailers. People will shop there because everything is in one place, and the prices in Vancouver is pretty competitive.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
deal_lurker wrote:For my two cents... T&T is definitely more expensive compared to many other places.... T&T is the equivalent of a chinese version of Loblaws. In general T&T prices things much higher. I noticed this especially non-oriental items... they cost way way more than what No Frills is charging.

Not to sound racist/disrespectful or anything like that, but their target market is chinese (obviously) and I could imagine that by pricing non oriental items, they take advantage or people who wouldn't shop at say a No Frills or a Loblaws and may be less inclind to do a price comparison now that a Loblaws 'like' superstore has opened up in their neighbourhood.

Amongst other things... once I myself have seen some Chips Ahoy Chocolate Cookies at T&T sell for double of what No Frills would charge and to top it off the amount in the package at T&T was half of what was being sold at No Frills.

It's a good profit/$$$ maximizing strategy, they try to price things in a way to take advantage of the customers. I noticed that some stores near condos/appartments can charge higher prices... as their customers would be less willing to go elsewhere. It's all about positioning the supermarket in hopes of either monopolizing the area and to maximize profits.

Another thing is that some customers would rather shop at T&T than the other places as it is much much more cleaner. So you are paying for that too.
T&T is more expenisve than NoFrill in generic main stream items. It is just like almost any Chinese supermarket is more expensive than NoFrill in generic main stream items.

You just don't buy generic main stream item in T&T or any Chinese supermarket.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
cheeseshredder wrote:Support independent grocery stores around your house... convenient and cheaper most of the time.
T&T is the closest one for me. ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
coldWater wrote:i have been both OFM and T&T, when we know T &T got the stuff that we want on sale, we would go to T&T, else we would just go to OFM since the price is much better(vegetables and such)

the chinese supermarkets are getter cleaner and bigger nowadays, most of them are trying to operate it like the T&T style....
Except they still don't take credit card. OFM is really dirty although it is a bit cleaner than the previous ownership.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
T&T is freaking huge... most of their stuff is pricier but can only be found there, they have aisles of asian market drinks that you cant find anywhere else. location is convenient for me to access, id say its pretty good for one-stop-shopping.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2006
1808 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:I can't believe some of you guys are even arguing about this. T&T wins hands down, no contest whatsoever. Who cares if you're paying a little more. I'd rather have a clean tidy store without having to worry about roaches and rats or the expiry date on the food I'm buying. Anyone remember the Big Land at Finch/Leslie? My god that place was disgusting. And there are far worse than that. Can you say "chinatown"? Besides the cleanliness, there is absolutely no comparison for the selection. Where are you going to get cooked food, bbq, sushi, bakery and veggies all in one place? I hope T&T does the same here in Ontario that it did back in BC and makes the competition wake up and try to be the same.
That 'little more' becomes A LOT more down the road. You have to grocery shop, it's necessity, so saving that 'little more' accumulates big time. I still agree with you as to spending more at a clean and tidy store, but I think your value system needs to readjust a little ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
T&T has a right to charge whatever the hell the market is willing to pay. You as a consumer have the right not to buy the more expensive items there. If you want the convenience of one-stop shopping, you'll have to pay the premium. True RFDers will buy their asian products at T&T and buy the western products at No Frills or whatever. The truely hardcore RFDers will drive down to chinatown to get their asian products!