Investing

T3 slips for ETFs or REITS (non-registered account) - anyone receive yet for 2021 tax year?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2022 11:24 pm
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes

T3 slips for ETFs or REITS (non-registered account) - anyone receive yet for 2021 tax year?

I know they aren't due until March 31, but usually every year, I get at least the first one by now (March 15). Still haven't received any yet (from TDDI).

Anyone here get theirs yet?
54 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6260 posts
2477 upvotes
does it matter?
Yes I received T3 from TD. waiting for RBC now. Banks are on schedule as usual but not CRA.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
callernamet wrote: Yes I received T3 from TD. waiting for RBC now. Banks are on schedule as usual but not CRA.
You sure it was a T3, and not a T5?

TDDI (TD Direct Investing, not TD bank) already issued T5 for dividend stocks. Those were due by Feb 28. It's the T3 forms (for ETFs and REITs) that I am still waiting on.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16698 posts
12472 upvotes
Markham
megsoak wrote: You sure it was a T3, and not a T5?

TDDI (TD Direct Investing, not TD bank) already issued T5 for dividend stocks. Those were due by Feb 28. It's the T3 forms (for ETFs and REITs) that I am still waiting on.
I got as well. I can download both T3 and T5 from their website. I also got T3 in mail letter (forget whether i got T5 in letter or not)

I mean TDDI
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6260 posts
2477 upvotes
does it matter?
megsoak wrote: You sure it was a T3, and not a T5?

I just checked few sec ago. also at CRA web site. IT is "T3 Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations" So it is not TDDI as you say "T3 slips for ETFs"
To be honest I have RBC last year and TDDI and goal. But Investment only in Jan 1st week 2021. So I will have to wait till next year for that imo and not this year as I stated before.
I also received T5008 from TD in mail. I will check if had some investment last year with RBC. I sure about TFSA but not sure about ETF as it was new account. If so I hope to get something from them. Let me check RBC account if any.
Last edited by callernamet on Mar 15th, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
callernamet wrote: IT is "T3 Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations" So it is not TDDI as you say "T3 slips for ETFs"
Yes, ETFs and REITs are legally "trusts", so that is the formal name of a T3 (I was just simplifying the title).
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Irrespective of brokerage are not some slips sent directly from the MF/ETF company?

In that case they tend to be later then the brokerages plus more delay as they tend to mail vs online.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
I received them from some fund companies, but not others. It depends on the fund company.
georvu wrote: Irrespective of brokerage are not some slips sent directly from the MF/ETF company?

In that case they tend to be later then the brokerages plus more delay as they tend to mail vs online.
Yes, they are issued by the fund company, not the brokerage. The brokerage receives them as they technically "own" the shares in trust.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
megsoak wrote: I know they aren't due until March 31, but usually every year, I get at least the first one by now (March 15). Still haven't received any yet (from TDDI).

Anyone here get theirs yet?
I have not received, they said due March 31st.
World cup is coming
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I have not received, they said due March 31st.
I received Form 1042S for my non-registered account today, does anyone know what is that for?

I usually receive T5 T5508 and T3 to report tax, what is the 1042S for? Can I ignore it?
World cup is coming
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
georvu wrote: Irrespective of brokerage are not some slips sent directly from the MF/ETF company?

With TDDI, if you own mutual funds, they come directly from the company.

With ETFs, they are consolidated with other holdings, and issued on combined T3s that come from the broker.
Last edited by megsoak on Mar 15th, 2022 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I received Form 1042S for my non-registered account today, does anyone know what is that for?

I usually receive T5 T5508 and T3 to report tax, what is the 1042S for? Can I ignore it?
1042S is a US form detailing your withholding tax for the US. But this is usually already detailed on your T5 or T3 from the broker, so can ignore for CRA filing purposes.
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I have not received, they said due March 31st.
I phoned in. TDDI said due by March 31, but they started to be issued in WebBroker accounts since this past Sunday, they process in batches.
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
megsoak wrote: I phoned in. TDDI said due by March 31, but they started to be issued in WebBroker accounts since this past Sunday, they process in batches.
Thanks. Is T3 slips record all your capital gains? What are the information provided on T5 and T5008?
World cup is coming
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
52 posts
53 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: Thanks. Is T3 slips record all your capital gains? What are the information provided on T5 and T5008?
No. Capital gains, you are responsible for tracking and reporting yourself on the tax return. I keep a spreadsheet with the book values for this purpose. T5008 can help you confirm the numbers, but both the CRA and brokers warn you not to rely on them as there are often errors on the T5008 forms, or they are incomplete or missing information - you are entirely responsible if you report wrong capital gain numbers, and you should keep a spreadsheet or some other records to make sure your book value is accurate.

T3 is for distributions from trusts (in brokerage accounts, mainly from ETFs and REITs, but also mutual funds).

T5 shows dividends from stocks, and interest payments.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16698 posts
12472 upvotes
Markham
megsoak wrote: No. Capital gains, you are responsible for tracking and reporting yourself on the tax return. I keep a spreadsheet with the book values for this purpose. T5008 can help you confirm the numbers, but both the CRA and brokers warn you not to rely on them as there are often errors on the T5008 forms, or they are incomplete or missing information - you are entirely responsible if you report wrong capital gain numbers, and you should keep a spreadsheet or some other records to make sure your book value is accurate.

T3 is for distributions from trusts (in brokerage accounts, mainly from ETFs and REITs, but also mutual funds).

Just confirm: if I didn't sell anything, I shouldn't receive T5008, is this correct?

Thanks
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
megsoak wrote: No. Capital gains, you are responsible for tracking and reporting yourself on the tax return. I keep a spreadsheet with the book values for this purpose. T5008 can help you confirm the numbers, but both the CRA and brokers warn you not to rely on them as there are often errors on the T5008 forms, or they are incomplete or missing information - you are entirely responsible if you report wrong capital gain numbers, and you should keep a spreadsheet or some other records to make sure your book value is accurate.

what do you refer to distributions from ETFs? I have only started to hold ETFs since 2021. If my iShare ETF had issued dividend of $100 in 2021, does it mean my T3 is supposed to show $100 (if that's the only ETF or REITs) that I purchased?
World cup is coming
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6260 posts
2477 upvotes
does it matter?

I agree 100%. But by April 1st all my slips matches records at CRA so I file after 1st week April. This time I have bit more stocks and etf. I checked just now almost all T5008, T3, T5 are on CRA. Including TFSA transactions.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2211 posts
3795 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
smartie wrote: Just confirm: if I didn't sell anything, I shouldn't receive T5008, is this correct?
Correct. No investment sales = no T5008

Here is what CRA says about it:
T5008 Statement of Securities Transactions – slip information for individuals
This information slip reports the amount paid or credited to you for securities you disposed of or redeemed during the year.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2211 posts
3795 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
ilovetoyota wrote: what do you refer to distributions from ETFs? I have only started to hold ETFs since 2021. If my iShare ETF had issued dividend of $100 in 2021, does it mean my T3 is supposed to show $100 (if that's the only ETF or REITs) that I purchased?
Income from ETFs and mutual funds is generally referred to as distributions, not dividends. Those distributions consist of different types of income paid by the securities the ETF holds. For equity ETFs it will be mostly dividends, and for bond ETFs it will be mostly interest. But there may be other types of income such as capital gains, foreign income (different tax treatment than Canadian dividends), capital gains and return of capital. The distributions are mostly paid in cash, but some may be reinvested. Each of these types will be in a different box on the T3.

If the distribution you referred to is really eligible Canadian dividends then yes, the T3 should show $100 in box 49. For ETFs you can go to the provider web site and there will be a section for distribution history that lists the different types of income paid by the fund.

This is a good resource from iShares: Distributions & Tax
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)