Investing

T3 slips for ETFs or REITS (non-registered account) - anyone receive yet for 2021 tax year?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2022 11:24 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2211 posts
3795 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
cheapshopper wrote: I usually just put all number into tax software. But this year i think about it more. For my cash account that only hold ETF, i didnt sell anything but i got T3 that show some capital gain in it. Why?

ROC, Divided, i understand. I just dont understand why there are capital gain and "other business income"? I only buy and hold.
Your ETF sold some of its holdings, and those sales realized a capital gain. These capital gains are passed on to the investor, to be taxed at their marginal tax rate. Usually funds will only make one capital gains distribution at the end of the year, so investors are only taxed on the net amount of capital gains - capital losses for the whole year.

Not sure what "other business income" is. T3 box 25 Foreign non-business income is usually foreign dividends, which are taxed at the rate for other income, not as dividend income.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6260 posts
2477 upvotes
does it matter?
cheapshopper wrote: I usually just put all number into tax software. But this year i think about it more. For my cash account that only hold ETF, i didnt sell anything but i got T3 that show some capital gain in it. Why?

ROC, Divided, i understand. I just dont understand why there are capital gain and "other business income"? I only buy and hold.
You are supposed to get T3 for non registered investment right? So I presume this is non registered and any gains will be taxable even if not sold. I also have about 65K in non registered and not selling anything for last 2 years. I get it. Not sure but may be when you sell you night get T5008. But may be it depends on if it is mutual fund and yours is ETF. mine were always mf till covid hit. so my knowledge is very limited.

But what ⬆he⬆ explains looks correct.

Income earned on investments held in a registered plan is not immediately taxable and a T3 tax slip is not issued. However, a T3 tax slip will be issued if ETFs are held in a non-registered plan and there's a taxable distribution. Annual tax applies to any distributions received other than return of capital.

https://www.rbcgam.com/en/ca/learn-plan ... son/detail
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1170 posts
1166 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Still waiting for IBKR to deliver T3's.
Banned
Mar 24, 2022
63 posts
91 upvotes

Within the ETF, the portfolio sold assets at a profit. That is a capital gain they have to declare and pass through to its holders. You should be happy some of the distribution is capital gains and not only "other business income" as the capital gains have lower tax rate.
Banned
Mar 24, 2022
63 posts
91 upvotes
Deepwater wrote: Your ETF sold some of its holdings, and those sales realized a capital gain. These capital gains are passed on to the investor, to be taxed at their marginal tax rate. Usually funds will only make one capital gains distribution at the end of the year, so investors are only taxed on the net amount of capital gains - capital losses for the whole year.

Not sure what "other business income" is. T3 box 25 Foreign non-business income is usually foreign dividends, which are taxed at the rate for other income, not as dividend income.
"Other business income" you often see with REITs, which are also declared on T3s (as they are also trusts). A REIT is still a functioning business operation, so their profits that get distributed to unitholders go into the "other business income" category.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6348 posts
6702 upvotes
Center of Canada
techcyberman wrote: Within the ETF, the portfolio sold assets at a profit. That is a capital gain they have to declare and pass through to its holders. You should be happy some of the distribution is capital gains and not only "other business income" as the capital gains have lower tax rate.
Does it mean some of the money I received is actually not dividend, but is capital gain? Wasn't paying attention what they are, just saw money show up in my account from time to time.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Banned
Mar 24, 2022
63 posts
91 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Does it mean some of the money I received is actually not dividend, but is capital gain? Wasn't paying attention what they are, just saw money show up in my account from time to time.
Yes. Money you receive from ETFs are technically called distributions, not dividends. They can consist of any of dividends, capital gains, interest or other income, foreign income (less foreign tax withheld), and return of capital. Purpose of the T3 is to describe how it is specifically broken down for your income tax return.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got some T3s today.

Looked at last year and received some on Mar 30!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6348 posts
6702 upvotes
Center of Canada
techcyberman wrote: Yes. Money you receive from ETFs are technically called distributions, not dividends. They can consist of any of dividends, capital gains, interest or other income, foreign income (less foreign tax withheld), and return of capital. Purpose of the T3 is to describe how it is specifically broken down for your income tax return.
Thanks. This is the part that confused me, because I keep thinking they are "dividend".
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16697 posts
12471 upvotes
Markham
A bit off topic: does VFV have ROC? Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1567 posts
1257 upvotes
Finally got my T3 from TDDI (eServices).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4688 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I received Form 1042S for my non-registered account today, does anyone know what is that for?

I usually receive T5 T5508 and T3 to report tax, what is the 1042S for? Can I ignore it?
What investment was this received in relation to? If it was a publicly traded limited partnership with income effectively connected to the USA, you have a filing obligation to the USA and 37% withholding tax rate.

What brokerage is this with?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4475 posts
6898 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
smartie wrote: Thanks

I am thinking buy VFV in non registered account. So I was wondering how difficult to file tax because of ROC
For non-reg, I'd rather just buy quality blue-chip stocks. As long as you're not trading in and out, blue-chip stocks makes it so much easier and simpler. Note that my registered accounts are only filled with ETFs.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)